Why all the backlash against 1020!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
yes if this phone had Samsung on it or apple on it instead of Nokia the idiots tech so called journalists would have been all over it and wanking, but we wp supporters are not put of by such things, the 1020 may not sell in the millions but what it does do is bring awareness to the wp platform as well it innovates and add more stuff down thru nokia's portfolio. As you can see with the Lumia 520 a very low budget phone that is taking the world by storm, don't be surprised if that one phone puts wp over the critical mass level and explodes onto the world marketshare.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
actually if you listened to the interview with elop, the sensor in the 1020 is a 2nd gen sensor to the original that was in the 808.

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm truly just waiting for Nokia to release a larger 1080p screen lumia with the pureview camera. At least 5.5" or 6". I love my media and would love the camera in conjunction with that larger screen but sadly Nokia seems against the idea of a phablet atm. Or it's MSFT limiting Nokia's ability to use hardware for such a phablet?

Edit: And also a more powerful GPU for gaming. Keep it at two cores as long as WP8 stays as smooth as it is but as games become more power hungry give the phone a really good GPU.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'
'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'
'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'
Well, I just did the math and these complaints seem valid. If you look at the high-end models for each mobile OS and compare the screen or camera resolution to the app count, the Lumia 1020 comes in last place. You can't argue with the math!
App Count
Screen KPx
Apps/KPx
CamTop
App/CamTop
CamStd
App/CamStd
iPhone 5

889,354​

600​

1,482​

8,192​

109​

8,192​

109​
Galaxy S4

783,140​

2,025​

387​

13,312​

59​

13,312​

59​
Lumia 1020

960​

167​

41,984​

4​

5,120​

31​

Yes, the screen on the Lumia is larger and sharper than the iPhone's, but the Lumia, thinking about its high-res rear-facing camera, has only 4 apps per Kilo-pixel -- this key metric is what drives handset sales according to most forum authors.

And yes, the combination of a fast lens, optical image stabilization, and pixel-binning technology makes the Lumia's camera better than the one in the S4 in virtually all conditions, but the S4 has more than twice as many apps per screen pixel as the Lumia. Although the Lumia has a pixel density greater than the average adult human can resolve from normal distances, the S4 provides a sharpness that's unresolvable by even the cats owned by those S4 users.

When you put together the all-important apps/KP metric and the feline usability index, it's clear that there's no future for the Lumia 1020.

I'd write more, but I have to go feed my iPhone to my cat. Bye.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts (if anyone cares).

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).

To me, on paper and looks, it looks like a 920ish phone with a lot better camera. Nothing more.

Even if it came to a carrier that I use, I would skip over this one. I have no desire for that bulk in the camera in my pocket day to day.

Don't get me wrong when I am in Mall or plaza with a AT&T store in it, I might drop in to take a look at it but, I still stand by my thoughts here...

My 928 will hold me out till the next WP devices hit (8.5 or 9)...or with better hardware and this is not it for me

920 is 10.2mm thick, 1020 is 10.4mm at the hump.... huge difference there... (marvelous really)
And yeah, WP is holding Nokia back, no question about it, but that doesn't make the 1020 a bad choice, especially if photography is as important to you as big screens are for some. I also would have liked to see better specs already, even if I have no intention of upgrading yet, but do specs really matter? Even here there are people who think Adreno 305 is better than 225, or that Snapdragon 200 is better than S4. Unfortunately, perception is king, and that alone is why WP need better specs.

Edit: Oh, and a BSI pixel can be about 30% smaller and gather the same amount of light than a FSI.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
My thoughts (if anyone cares).

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).

To me, on paper and looks, it looks like a 920ish phone with a lot better camera. Nothing more.

Even if it came to a carrier that I use, I would skip over this one. I have no desire for that bulk in the camera in my pocket day to day.

Don't get me wrong when I am in Mall or plaza with a AT&T store in it, I might drop in to take a look at it but, I still stand by my thoughts here...

My 928 will hold me out till the next WP devices hit (8.5 or 9)...or with better hardware and this is not it for me

I find it kind of disturbing that you say nothing is majorly innovative but the camera in this phone. This phone has rich recording in stereo as well (mono recording in the 920 gen). Nokia spends almost 80 billion dollars in R&D compared to Samsung's/HTC's/Sony's lackluster 5-10 billion $.

But anyway, my main concern with your post is that what other innovation are you looking for in a phone? I do not consider higher specs as innovation -as other OEM's have access to the same hardware. According to the Webster dictionary, innovation is a new method, idea, product, etc: "technological innovations." I find this 1020 to be the most innovative thing from Nokia ever since the 808 came out. This was the main reason why I skipped out on the 920 gen as I didn't see OIS to be the main influential factor for me to upgrade as I have my 808 that will beat the 920 in low light any day. Combining Pureview phase 1 (oversampling/lossless zoom) and Pureview phase 2 (OIS) by creating Pureview phase 3 is nothing short of amazing! Everyone expected Nokia to just make a port of the 808 in the 1020...not go a step further into putting OIS in it. I was shocked during the presentation that they actually had the time to implement it (let alone even improving OIS for version 2).

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I just can't believe the amount of negative press I am reading against the 1020! Here's a couple of comments from online:

'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'

'Nokia is being held back by WP8'

'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'

'they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One'

'it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!'

The last one really annoyed me, lol! Nokia are offering choice...what's wrong with that? They aren't forcing anyone to buy this phone. If anything, it should help people decide on other Nokia phones...'they made a 41mp camera, so this {insert any other Lumia} must have a decent camera for the price range'!

It's a sad day when some companies get praised for the worst truly gimmicky tricks up their sleeves...and true innovators get kicked to the curb!

Loosers will always keep on complaining and point out negatives. Even I was bit disappointed to see that I had the same 1 year old CPU and screen. I was expecting a quad core Snapdragon 800 CPU and a 1080 P screen. But I would blame MS for not supporting this hardware specification. I love my 920, but 1020 is an amazing device.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Really? have you seen the profile from the side? it is 10.4 mm with the camera, the L920 is 10.7 mm, L928 is 10.1mm seriously some people..

16gb?????????? quit spreading FUD alright? it is 32gb as standard and 64gb exclusive to Telefonica.

It is bigger on the aspect of the camera part sticking out. So even if the base phone is thinner overall (and it is thiner than the 920 due to removing wireless charging), the camera bulk will stick out, I can see this as in jean pockets with a round imprint sticking out so I stand my ground on this. I am sure it will be fine for some people but, to each their own.

16gb?????????? quit spreading FUD alright? it is 32gb as standard and 64gb exclusive to Telefonica.

Yes, WPcentral said that it was said that this model came with 16gb, at one point (maybe the rumored specs, not sure), it was on the homepage with the orginal specs, look it up No fud and get over yourself... Maybe it was updated but, still 32gb with a camera like this with out expandable storage is still a joke. A global release with 64gb would be in line where it should be.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
ok well I am going to give my grain of salt, and point out what windows phone is lacking, now dont get me wrong I have used every single OS and still interested in the 1020to some extent, but lets face it yes some apps are just not there, youtube still being developed by microsoft and google and who knows when that will be out, but besides the apps because we all know thats something that even thought it needs work, it will be there eventually. Voice dictation is a mayor factor that is indeed lacking, since is not available on the keyboard, but only on the messaging app, so apps like whatsapp are not able to use that yet. voice assisstant through tell me is still immature, giving weather reports and wiki answers would be great, and lastly the search experience, while bing is alright I much rather use google, and yes I been 5 times to bingiton.com and always get google so google does provide a better experience, at the least microsoft should allow the user which search engine to use. Ok I ranted long enough I am right now In a fence on choosing between HTC One and Nokia Lumia 1020 which both have their cons and pros. the HTC One IR Blaster, Full HD Display and file manager is pretty useful , while the 1020 has an amazing camera with zoom capabilities, even though I am not sold oon the looks, the black one might be the best looking one, I hate to have to choose between 2 great platforms.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
ok well I am going to give my grain of salt, and point out what windows phone is lacking, now dont get me wrong I have used every single OS and still interested in the 1020to some extent, but lets face it yes some apps are just not there, youtube still being developed by microsoft and google and who knows when that will be out, but besides the apps because we all know thats something that even thought it needs work, it will be there eventually. Voice dictation is a mayor factor that is indeed lacking, since is not available on the keyboard, but only on the messaging app, so apps like whatsapp are not able to use that yet. voice assisstant through tell me is still immature, giving weather reports and wiki answers would be great, and lastly the search experience, while bing is alright I much rather use google, and yes I been 5 times to bingiton.com and always get google so google does provide a better experience, at the least microsoft should allow the user which search engine to use. Ok I ranted long enough I am right now In a fence on choosing between HTC One and Nokia Lumia 1020 which both have their cons and pros. the HTC One IR Blaster, Full HD Display and file manager is pretty useful , while the 1020 has an amazing camera with zoom capabilities, even though I am not sold oon the looks, the black one might be the best looking one, I hate to have to choose between 2 great platforms.

by the sounds of your post i dont get the impression any WP8 device in on your 'Possible Next Phone' selection. The only Pro for 1020 over HTC One is the camera? Some of the negatives you've mentioned are indeed true, i can agree with you...but WP8 has more going for it than just the camera. I just dont believe by your post you'd be wiling to spend $300 on a 2 year contract for a super camera windows phone.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
by the sounds of your post i dont get the impression any WP8 device in on your 'Possible Next Phone' selection. The only Pro for 1020 over HTC One is the camera? Some of the negatives you've mentioned are indeed true, i can agree with you...but WP8 has more going for it than just the camera. I just dont believe by your post you'd be wiling to spend $300 on a 2 year contract for a super camera windows phone.

well to be clear I would buy the device outright not to renew contract, but the camera is always a great factor and I know the HTC One while ok in low light is just depressing to look frame drop so much when at night, I guess 4 mp are not enough, and daylight is not great. I only pointed what needs some fixing on Microsoft that is the reason that I am considering the 1020, and I forgot to mention updates on microsoft, and the HTC has the 1080p display which to be honest if you do compared the displays you will see the difference, so the big question is can you see the great quality of a picture or video on the display that is HD but not Full HD? anyhow I still think both are great devices not perfect of course, mainly if nokia was not restricted by hardware specs from microsoft they could probably release a bigger beast, and I am a little worried nokia would release another phone by november, date that the 920 came out with better specs.

Last edited:

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The backlash is because people expected a phone camera that beats 808, instead they got a camera that cannot come close to 808.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium