Why all the backlash against 1020!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The backlash is because people expected a phone camera that beats 808, instead they got a camera that cannot come close to 808.

Actually it smacks more of a concerted effort to discredit Nokia. For example you have all of 3 posts and they are all bashing the 1020, not discussing or explaining, just bashing. Same with a few other posters here as well. Its either fear or jealousy but one thing is clear is that none of you detractors have actually done an A-B comparison and therefore are really not qualified to proclaim anything about the 1020.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
ok accroding to Damian Dinning on twitter and thats why it explaines the pictures are still noisy during daylight, thats a dissapointment, and yes I zoomed in and you can see fuzzyness(Noise) in almost every picture, it might not be the camera itself but is the noise reduction that they are not adding.

@jalakarhu: @V1ado They are sharper. Also, we don't want to apply much very much noise filtering. @PhoneDaz @Fredx74#Lumia1020

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sick of hearing this... IF you want to use your dead OS with 25% of the software prowess, no OIS and significantly outdated hardware (the screen alone is enough to steer me away from the idea of using the 808 let alone the lack of support and thickness) but with a camera that takes marginally better pictures go right ahead. The point of this phone is to get people in the door and give them significantly better photos than any other company currently, and to do it in a modern design with a modern OS which is actively adding to its app support.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
dead? It got more updates in 2013 than WP... what do you mean by "25% software prowess"? There is some very important software (especially for telephony) that is not present on WP (proper 2way call recording for instance).

OIS actually helps in a very rare situations when mobile photography is in question, and that outdated hardware actually has more features than lumias...together with the "screen alone" which is a full RGB matrix not PenTile(google for differences) and has more than twice better contrast than 1020

seriously, 1020 has its advantages but 808 also has many and you can't deny that

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Riiiiiiiight ok you keep rocking your 360x640 184ppi screen on your non LTE 808 with your 512mb ram and your single core arm processor and keep trying to defend it against the 1020. Give me a break. Go read up on why the PenTile tech exists in the first place man. Seriously. PenTile is actually a good thing on higher resolutions because it defends against screen burn in and is not noticeable....I'm not saying the camera on the 808 isn't better, Im just saying its not a punk move by nokia and they are placing the industry leading camera in a current flagship phone to get people into the barn. The next phone will probably have everything and more that the 808 had.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So of the top 50 apps how many can the 808 claim? Are there any companies (not 808 owners) or developers who are not 808 owners developing for the 808 anymore?
Also "OIS helps in very rare situations" ... ever heard of video. Why don't you google 808 video samples or look at your own library and see how rare those situations really are. What features are you referring too? How about sound recording... All the Major features advantages go to the 1020 simply because its a new flagship phone. You have the camera argument, don't try to fool anyone the 808 has anything else over the 1020.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
As an avid frequenter of 808 forums when it debuted and recently (I nearly bought it but decided to wait for the 1020 before I knew it would be the 1020) its incredible how negative most owners are about the 1020. They fail to see the phone for what it is and isn't. It has enough to take incredible pics (for a phone) just not AS incredible pics as the 808 (as a phone). In six to eight months nokia will release an updated 1020 coupled with the stereo imagining tech they bought out and trump the field again. The 1020 is a stepping stone, but a great step.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
So of the top 50 apps how many can the 808 claim? Are there any companies (not 808 owners) or developers who are not 808 owners developing for the 808 anymore?
Also "OIS helps in very rare situations" ... ever heard of video. Why don't you google 808 video samples or look at your own library and see how rare those situations really are. What features are you referring too? How about sound recording... All the Major features advantages go to the 1020 simply because its a new flagship phone. You have the camera argument, don't try to fool anyone the 808 has anything else over the 1020.

there are many good apps for 808, and yes developers are still developing and updating their applications, not sure how you decide what is "top 50" between apps

OIS is the most helpful for video yes but you can stabilise it in postprocessing, even youtube has some sort of stabilisation so you don't have to download 3rd party software, the result is not the same like with hardware OIS but it's very close, untrained eye won't see the difference, and 1020 doesn't have any advantage in sound recording

"All the Major features advantages go to the 1020 simply because its a new flagship phone."

lol it should be like that but..it isn't

"don't try to fool anyone the 808 has anything else over the 1020."

huh, HDMI out, USB OTG, FM radio AND transmitter...to name a few ;)

As an avid frequenter of 808 forums when it debuted and recently (I nearly bought it but decided to wait for the 1020 before I knew it would be the 1020) its incredible how negative most owners are about the 1020. They fail to see the phone for what it is and isn't. It has enough to take incredible pics (for a phone) just not AS incredible pics as the 808 (as a phone). In six to eight months nokia will release an updated 1020 coupled with the stereo imagining tech they bought out and trump the field again. The 1020 is a stepping stone, but a great step.

maybe, 6-8 months is a long period

It's actually 1280x768p 334ppi and its defended quite well against the sgs IV because Android is a resource hog and WP runs far smoother.

doesn't matter it;s still lower than resolution on S4, well WP is also resource hog compared to Belle...how many applications can you run at the same time tell us ;) those 512 MB of RAM on Belle can run about 50 without problems ;)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
sensor in 1020 is worse than one in 808, we 808 users hoped for the same sensor but got nothing at the end, guess I'll stay with my 808 for another couple of years

If you say THAT one more time....

And what do these tech sites suggest Nokia do? Wait until the app store is up to snuff before making anymore hardware?

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
nope, Nokia should develop more hardware, hope they sell this one well so they get more money for R&D and hopefully one day come with better device

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
@Justtoclarify You are simply delusional or just bitter. Your continued support of a far inferior screen tips your hat. The SGIV is not a good argument for you. The 1020's screen holds up simply because the SGIV's screen is not DOUBLE (like the 1020 vs 808) the resolution and the 1020's better than HD resolution. Most people don't even notice the difference between a full HD vs a 720 screen because the ppi is so high and 1280 is lost below 5 inches. They do and can notice a huge difference between a 4 inch 640x320 screen vs 4.5 1280x768!

As far as your sensor. It's not THAT much better across the board and is inferior in some ways. Here's an interesting link Damian Dinning on the Nokia Lumia 1020: vs 808 imaging quality; has most of what he hoped for in final product : My Nokia Blog and one that points to some misunderstandings. Mainly that most of the "noise" is found in the full resolution images and the better technology of the 1020 in processing and down sampling absolutely provides better 5mp samples than the 808.

Oh and about your "features" of the 808? I'd be willing to bet when viewing this Nokia Lumia 1020 vs. 925 vs. 920 vs. 808 PureView: what's changed? the vast majority of people will have no problem selecting which phone has the best features. Take note of the significant lack of navigation "features" the 808 exhibits.

I could keep going but I think I'm just going to stop because you obviously have your mind set against the 1020 and feel the need to build up a phone that was released in 2012.

"Many apps"... sounds promising.

Last edited:

Airo

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Its true that 1020 has a smaller sensor and its also true that 808 takes better pictures FOR NOW

Don't forget that Nokia announced a camera sdk for lumia 1020 to the developers. This means there will be improvements or maybe new apps that has more features than the native one and probably will fix the issues like the lack of noise reduction.

If you read this gsmarena blog, it mentioned "until Nokia finishes up tuning the software" which means the image processing software of Nokia lumia 1020 is not final.

Nokia Lumia 1020 camera compared to a Canon 60D DSLR, comes out on top - GSMArena Blog

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Also as far as I can tell, after reading about what Usb otg is, It is listed on the spec sheet everywhere I look. I'm not positive the 1020 has it or not but everyone seems to list it as a feature. Also the 1020 has a FM radio. HDMI out such an unneeded feature. The same end game can be had using so many other means. Granted its easier to have Hdmi out but I would rather have the thinner phone.

MNB-IMG_0595Lumia-1020-vs-808-pureview-nokia.jpg

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
"They do and can notice a huge difference between a 4 inch 640x320 screen vs 4.5 1280x768!"

I can't notice any, 808 still has double the ppi of my 24" Full HD PC screen and I'm looking at my phone at half the distance, so in reality I get the same ppi per distance as my PC screen which is good enough for me. 1020 does have sharper resolution(the same way 4K PC screen would be sharper) but I'd rather have better contrast on a cameraphone(well, on any phone for that matter).

"Mainly that most of the "noise" is found in the full resolution images and the better technology of the 1020 in processing and down sampling absolutely provides better 5mp samples than the 808."

lol have you seen those 5 MP images from 1020? Some of those are really awful...and you can't have "better" processing if you don't have dedicated DSP like in 808, the oversampling in 1020 is virtually nonexistant, it's basically only a resize from full res picture

"Oh and about your "features" of the 808? I'd be willing to bet when viewing this Nokia Lumia 1020 vs. 925 vs. 920 vs. 808 PureView: what's changed? the vast majority of people will have no problem selecting which phone has the best features. Take note of the significant lack of navigation "features" the 808 exhibits."

Vast majority of people likes justin bieber and nicki minaj, so what does that tell you ;) Navigation on 808 is very good, the maps are those same like on 1020.

And yes, it's not me who is set against 1020(it's just a device after all) but your fanboyism that can't accept reality...

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Its true that 1020 has a smaller sensor and its also true that 808 takes better pictures FOR NOW

Don't forget that Nokia announced a camera sdk for lumia 1020 to the developers. This means there will be improvements or maybe new apps that has more features than the native one and probably will fix the issues like the lack of noise reduction.

If you read this gsmarena blog, it mentioned "until Nokia finishes up tuning the software" which means the image processing software of Nokia lumia 1020 is not final.

that is true and 1020 will certainly improve with time, however there are things that depend on hardware and those can't be improved over hardware limits

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not a ******, I just enjoy debating respectful people such as yourself who happen to disagree with me. As far as the DSP argument. I'm choosing to believe the Nokia gurus when they say this will only get better from here on out as the software gets finished but if it turns out in the long run that the 1020 can only take significantly better photos than every other phone except the 808 I'm happy with that because I see the advantages the 1020 has on the phone side of things far outweigh the advantages of the 808 over the 1020 on the camera side.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
1020 will indeed take significantly better photos than all other phones except 808. If you need those advantages 1020 has on the Internet/applications side (it's not the phone side) then the choice is obvious for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99