Why all the backlash against 1020!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Always haters. They can't enjoy their perfect phones. Oh wait... because it's not perfect.

A majority of the time, it's because they are jealous of certain aspects of a device and wish it were on their device. Putting that 41mp EOS cam on their GS4 would shut a lot of them up.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
It's a large camera grafted to the aging 920. Of course there will be backlash. The 925 and 928 had backlash just recently for being basically prettier versions of the 920 on other networks. The 920 is EOL (end of life) and is ancient in smartphone terms, especially the specs. This is what doomed Nokia to begin with. Symbian couldn't handle higher specs, so they abandoned it and moved to Windows Phone. Even the venerable 808 Pureview was running an ancient single core processor and 360p. 360p! That's crazy. Even dirt cheap budget phones were 480p with dual-core processors. But Windows Phone is turning out to be as bad as Symbian in many ways. Slow to adapt. Microsoft is in a very very distant third behing Android and iOS, and the blip may just disappear without anyone noticing.

For those ignorant of specs and can barely follow a letter change in the name of a new phone, lets use the iPhone as the lowest bar. Most users of the iPhone have no idea what is under the hood. You could say the same thing about Lumia phones, that it doesn't matter, as long as it works. But the fact that we are in the Lumia 1020 forum and going gaga over the 41MP camera speaks for itself how important specs are. Nokia has no mindshare, and they can only win it with being close to the same spec levels as Android. Software on the iPhone is heavily optimized, and the apps go there first and work the best there, so specs don't matter as much. The powerful ecosystem speaks for itself. Even so, the iPhone isn't a slouch when it comes to specs. They may not have quad-core yet, but their custom chip designs break benchmarks compared to equally specced devices, and they always have the most powerful GPU for the best 3D games. Nokia and Windows Phone, both with low mindshare and popularity, can't stand to compete with the other two big boys without being at least on parity with specs, since the WP ecosystem is weak already as it is.

I personally don't care about the specs too much as the Lumia 920 base is good enough for me. However, that dinky 4.5" in a sea of Android phones that go up to 6.4" is really disappointing. Do you expect someone like me, who has been buying Android for years, and currently using a 5.5" Note 2, to downgrade to a dinky 4.5"? Even last year's mainstream phones were 4.7/4.8" in Androidville. This year its 5" and 5.2". And don't give me the excuse about size, when Nokia loves to waste so much of the space on useless bezel when they could've placed a bigger screen on the same exact device. Android peeps care about specs more. It's a see of competitors trying to outdo themselves. The iPhone has the luxury of being in its own system and not needing to compete that hard. But in Android, specs are everything. And it should be the same for the not so fledgling WP phones if they want to wrest any marketshare from the dominating Android, because getting it from the iPhone is gonna be like pulling teeth.

You have indeed hit the problem here with this release. I see the 1020 as a 920 with a camera hump as well, the camera doesn't put it even into a niche category because it has to have more differentiating features than that to be a niche device. They honestly fumbled this one badly as it sure could of been better. I feel insulted and everyone else should as well that they just threw a better camera on it and tried to call it next generation with only a gig more ram to say it's different.

MurphieB

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I'm hating on is the lack of T9 keyboard. I am upgrading from an N8 and not having a T9 keyboard is going to suck. I'm hoping the larger keyboard will make QWERTY in portrait a little easier to use, but I am not optimistic. I can't believe Nokia left out such a basic feature. They must have requirements for an OS that are given to MS for such a close relationship, leaving out such functionality is inexcusable.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Agree. And while we are on the topic of bezel, I think EVERYONE can agree every manufacturer except Samsung (as much as I hate to admit it) missed that boat YEARS ago. Why no one except they pounced on that I will never know. It seems like such an easy thing to remedy, certainly easier than cramming a 41 mp shooter in a phone. Come on. Im still excited about the tech but am fully prepared to break my contract in six months and buy Nokia's GDR3 phone, hopefully with the stereo imaging tech built in as well.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
MS also needs to wake up and get the updates out which is a massive problem. They also need to code for a smaller screen and let nokia and the rest of the oem's make some physical keyboard qwerty phones. That would be a game changer, but like usual MS updates the OS like a monkey throwing feces at folks.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I'm hating on is the lack of T9 keyboard. I am upgrading from an N8 and not having a T9 keyboard is going to suck. I'm hoping the larger keyboard will make QWERTY in portrait a little easier to use, but I am not optimistic. I can't believe Nokia left out such a basic feature. They must have requirements for an OS that are given to MS for such a close relationship, leaving out such functionality is inexcusable.

I moved from an N8 too and had the same concerns. However, after owning a 920 since release, I don't think I could truly go back to a T9.

Check out a game called text text revolution on youtube....got my typing skills up to scratch, lol.

Plus, the predictive text is pretty good too.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft decided not to talk about updates until they are ready to roll out.. so.. I am sure they are working on it.

MurphieB

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Can you type with one hand okay? I have tried one hand typing in portrait mode QWERTY on my N8 and I am horrible at it, I really wanted to like it but it's not easy. My T9 skills are very good, but my fingers don't like the super small buttons!

I moved from an N8 too and had the same concerns. However, after owning a 920 since release, I don't think I could truly go back to a T9.

Check out a game called text text revolution on youtube....got my typing skills up to scratch, lol.

Plus, the predictive text is pretty good too.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you type with one hand okay? I have tried one hand typing in portrait mode QWERTY on my N8 and I am horrible at it, I really wanted to like it but it's not easy. My T9 skills are very good, but my fingers don't like the super small buttons!

My T9 skills were amazing too, lol. My qwerty skills not so much compared to the average user. However, it is pretty easy once you start.

Tbh, I don't do a lot of one handed typing. But sometimes I do and it tends to be a lot of selecting of words that appear as I type, lol.

I know it's hard to let go, and you will have to type with 2 hands to get the most out of it. You will adjust. It's like anything, people hate change. The more willing you are to accept it, the easier it will be, lol.

At least when we are older we can say 'I remember when....'!

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I might have to agree, it seems that Nokia is focusing more on the camera and giving us more megapixels then more cores and better hardware, I own a 920 and I don't see that much of a difference expect the 41MP and few things here and there, but that won't make me get a 1020 especially that 300$ price. For that much I rather get a galaxy note 2 or something. I love Nokia and my 920 but come on lets focus more on the user experience, apps and hardware than just the camera and how photos look.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I might have to agree, it seems that Nokia is focusing more on the camera and giving us more megapixels then more cores and better hardware, I own a 920 and I don't see that much of a difference expect the 41MP and few things here and there, but that won't make me get a 1020 especially that 300$ price. For that much I rather get a galaxy note 2 or something. I love Nokia and my 920 but come on lets focus more on the user experience, apps and hardware than just the camera and how photos look.

I have said the same but they seemed hooked into the feature game and MS needs a nut punch to get updates out in a timely manner.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
It's a large camera grafted to the aging 920.
The 1020 is a bit more than just a 41 MP camera attached to a 920, it's still slimmer and lighter, with superior battery life, AMOLED screen, etc. The camera has some features that make it better for phones such as the new barrel shift actuators for image stabilization. You hit on a lot of good reasons why Nokia isn't competing as well as they could with Android and iPhone. I believe WP8 is dependant on the Snapdragon S4, specifically the MSM8960, dual core processors and the four tile width screen for now. Which means that WP8 runs and looks as great on a 520 or a 1020. I'd love to see 1080p with eight tiles width on a 5-6" WP8 device. Nokia's best phone right now is the 520, for around $100 getting a full fledged WP8 device with GPS and offline here maps is a steal. The 925 is what Nokia will be watching closely and depending how well its received, especially in global markets, will determine what the next generation of Lumias will be like. Microsoft stores invading Best Buys will help WP8, the Xbox One will help WP8, maturation of the app ecosystem (not fast enough) will help WP8, Windows Phone live tiles will scale very well with higher resolutions and larger screens. I'm optimistic about Nokia and Windows Phones, but I have to admit, I'd still invest in Google right now over Microsoft or Nokia. Google and Samsung are just absolute behemoths with no stop of growth in sight.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is a bit more than just a 41 MP camera attached to a 920, it's still slimmer and lighter, with superior battery life, AMOLED screen, etc.

its slimmer and lighter because it doesn't have wireless charging cover, if you add it it's actually heavier than 920...also battery size is the same no? With xenon and more powerful camera I can't see how it will last longer. AMOLED has its advantages but also disadvantages especially because it's pentile.

tom5

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering why Nokia used an old SoC for 1020 and I'm afraid it's because of what WP8 currently supports. And it's not only about raw performance, it's about power efficiency of the newer Snapdragons (600/800), support for new features (WiFi ac, BT 4.0), more powerful graphics and many other little improvements.
Someone asked why didn't they use a larger screen - I think because a 5" screen wouldn't look so good with 720p resolution when compared to other flagships, and WP 8 currently doesn't support 1080p. So another thing this OS doesn't support so no wonder many people mention Android here.

For me the 1020 is a revolutionary device when it comes to the camera performance and features, and an average device as a phone.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering why Nokia used an old SoC for 1020 and I'm afraid it's because of what WP8 currently supports. And it's not only about raw performance, it's about power efficiency of the newer Snapdragons (600/800), support for new features (WiFi ac, BT 4.0), more powerful graphics and many other little improvements.
Someone asked why didn't they use a larger screen - I think because a 5" screen wouldn't look so good with 720p resolution when compared to other flagships, and WP 8 currently doesn't support 1080p. So another thing this OS doesn't support so no wonder many people mention Android here.

For me the 1020 is a revolutionary device when it comes to the camera performance and features, and an average device as a phone.

Bingo I said the same thing in another thread and I guess it flew over everyones head. It's not about having the better specs just to have them but the genuine efficiency that goes with the more up to date hardware. Maybe the better hardware would take that 2000mah battery and give longer usage. Less power to process means less energy wasted. All the ones that say it doesn't need the higher specs is wrong...it needs it just for those added perks.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
its slimmer and lighter because it doesn't have wireless charging cover, if you add it it's actually heavier than 920...also battery size is the same no? With xenon and more powerful camera I can't see how it will last longer. AMOLED has its advantages but also disadvantages especially because it's pentile.
Same size battery, it's mostly just saving battery life with the AMOLED. You're right, but this is a state of the art camera attached to a 92x, a technological feat that Nokia should be praised for; it's too bad it wasn't attached to a 925 or something more unique though. Maybe customer feedback on the 920 body and look was so popular that people wanted the same, it's been refined.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I think that 925 was just too sleek for that... and yes, it is a technological feat, damn hard one to achieve.

Not that hard when you just add a camera, take out wireless charging and the rest is virtually the same hardware. It s a 920 on sensa or jenny craig with a new boob job. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers