Nokia Lumia 1020: User Reviews

Mbalasko

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been an iPhone guy since the original. I sold my iphone 5 strictly because of the 1020's camera. Here is my list of annoyances.

Pros:
Great battery life.
Great physical construction of the device.
Camera- nothing more needs said here.
FM radio? So Cool.
Glance Screen is a great feature.

Annoyances-
AL is annoyance level is a scale from 1 to 5. 5 being this really sucks. Most of these are Win8 "issues".

1. Cannot take a picture without unlocking the phone.
In the iphone world, you can take a picture with unlocking the phone yet you still can't browse what was taken previously till the phone is unlocked.
Helpful in nearly all social situation by shaving a few seconds of precious time.
AL- 5

2. Missing do not disturb feature.
Hopefully in 8.1 And no airplane mode is not a work around.
AL-5

3. No led flash on sms/text. - Great feature for me

AL-3

4. The volume control affects both media and the ringer volume.
When watching a video, there is no need to have the volume at 30. But when you turn it down it also turns down the ringer.
Stupid Design.
AL-5

5. No timer and stopwatch function by default
OMG. This is ridiculously stupid. And the apps seem to not work when the screen locks? WTH?
AL-5

6. No google chome.

AL-3

7. Can't group live tiles.
Lame. I really like the live tiles but why can't i group all my food/social media/utilities into groups and have those apps float rotate amongst themselves?
AL-4

8. No central notification center -
Hopefully in 8.1
AL-5

9. FB app blows balls. notifications don't always work and integration into the chat doesn't always seem to work.
AL-2

10. No quick access to Wifi/BT/Brightness (to be fair ios 7 will have this and Android already does it)
AL-5

I am pretty deep into the IOS and Android ecosystems and I have to say the phone is awesome but win8 lack the polish it should have by now.

Overall I am really happy with the phone and I am not in the i hate winderz camp but a few tweaks and this device would be perfect.

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been an iPhone guy since the original. I sold my iphone 5 strictly because of the 1020's camera. Here is my list of annoyances.

Pros:
Great battery life.
FM radio? So Cool.

Annoyances-
AL is annoyance level is a scale from 1 to 5. 5 being this really sucks. Most of these are Win8 "issues".

In the iphone world, you can take a picture with unlocking the phone yet you still can't browse what was taken previously till the phone is unlocked.
Helpful in nearly all social situation by shaving a few seconds of precious time.
AL- 5

windows phone was actually the first to implement such a feature (between android/ios). just hold the camera button, even if the screen is off

AL-3

yes this is not available. even more annoying (for me anyways), there is not a notification light. i feel it could be implemented into the peak UI (right top corner of screen) or the windows button could flash

Lame. I really like the live tiles but why can't i group all my food/social media/utilities into groups and have those apps float rotate amongst themselves?
AL-4

There are apps that allow you to give headers and then you can place related apps beneath them (or do whatever you like). But I agree, a folder would be nice.

9. FB app blows balls. notifications don't always work and integration into the chat doesn't always seem to work.
AL-2

The newest beta has a lot of improvements (seems a lot faster, and added some new features making it more like ios/android), and belifore tweeted that notifications and chat are being worked on

10. No quick access to Wifi/BT/Brightness (to be fair ios 7 will have this and Android already does it)
AL-5

You can pin these settings to your start screen via an app, but it would be nice if there were in the notification bar like android/ios

I am pretty deep into the IOS and Android ecosystems and I have to say the phone is awesome but win8 lack the polish it should have by now.

Overall I am really happy with the phone and I am not in the i hate winderz camp but a few tweaks and this device would be perfect.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Pros:
Great battery life.
FM radio? So Cool.

Annoyances-

AL- 5

As previously stated, just hold the camera button down til it comes on

2. Missing do not disturb feature.
Hopefully in 8.1 And no airplane mode is not a work around.
AL-5

Don't care about Do Not Disturb but would like a way to ignore individual users. Currently using Google Voice as much as possible to fill this need.

AL-3

Guess this is all what you're used to. Loved this feature on the Blackberry with its beautiful display but I've gotten used to the Windows way. Would be a nice addition though.

4. The volume control affects both media and the ringer volume.
When watching a video, there is no need to have the volume at 30. But when you turn it down it also turns down the ringer.
Stupid Design.
AL-5

I definiteiyl agree with you here and will go one further. I often times discover my volume turned down half way when I never even touched it. WP8 needs to work on this.

5. No timer and stopwatch function by default
OMG. This is ridiculously stupid. And the apps seem to not work when the screen locks? WTH?
AL-5

I don't have a need for this

6. No google chome.

AL-3

Don't care about this either. I rarely use the browser as I try to find apps to do what I need

AL-4

This would definitely be nice. I recently had a chance to play with a Galaxy S4 with its ability to group apps into folders (like iOS) and it was really nicely done - WAY better than iOS.

8. No central notification center -
Hopefully in 8.1
AL-5

Would like to see this as well if it was done in the right way. For now, I am used to just looking at my tiles. Again, a matter of getting used to something new.

AL-2

It pretty much sucked when L920 first came out. New version of FB a huge improvement. Just gotta stick with it

AL-5

There is an app called "Quick Settings" which I think is very nice. Check it out.

Windows Phone really isn't THAT old yet and it is improving every day. Certainly it could stand improvements, mostly in feature availability but after using a Galaxy S4 for 2 weeks, imagine my surprise when I elected to come back to WP8. The S4 is a great phone but I truly missed my live tiles and the fluid movement of the OS. While I loved all the features and settings in the S4, in the end it was about the overall looks, responsiveness and integration with my Windows 8 desktop. And for the record, even though the S4 has a 13mp camera and also better software, I found my Lumia 920 just gave me a better pic but that's just me. Still.... gotta be something to this and I plan to test that theory by getting me the new Lumia 1020. I just think these Lumia's have the best camera's on them

mpp1020

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Lumia 1020 for about 1 month now as my personal phone. I also have an iPhone 5 for about 1 month as my work phone (provided by work). I came from using a low tier Android phone (LG Optimus V) which I won't even compare as it was quite old (running Froyo) and not very powerful. I kept that for quite a while because I was still on the $25 per month Virgin Mobile unlimited data plan but I have now moved to a new state where Virgin Mobile is not available.

My Lumia is on AT&T of course and the iPhone is on Verizon. I purchased the Lumia off contract and I will switch to Straight Talk once my first month of AT&T GoPhone is up.

So this review will be a comparison as a new user to both Lumia 1020/WindowsPhone 8 and iPhone 5/iOS 6.

Design and Build
They are both high quality build. The Lumia is much bigger than the iPhone and in using both, I feel the iPhone is too small and the Lumia is too big. I have smallish hands and it can be difficult to reach some functions on the Lumia. This is especially true when cradling the phone in my palm and trying to use the phone one handed with my thumb. For example, it's hard to reach "C" when on the alphabet screen for quickly jumping in the list of apps or contacts. On the other hand, the iPhone is so small it feels like it's going to slip out of your hand. Right now I have no case on my iPhone so this could easily be remedied with a case of some sort to make the iphone a bit heftier.

The polycarbonate back of the Lumia feels much better in the hand than the cold metal/glass back of the iPhone. Even after only 1 month of light use, the iPhone is starting to get scratches on the back and sides. The Lumia still looks brand new; the polycarbonate just does not show scratches (I have the black). My black iPhone shows the metal color beneath with just a simple scratch. Again, this could be remedied with a case. But here I am comparing both phones without a case, and the Lumia excels in durability of its polycarbonate shell.

The buttons on both phones are quite solid and of high quality. I prefer the location of the on/off of the Lumia on the side better than that for the iPhone which is on the top of the phone. I also prefer the location of the headphone jack on the Lumia (on the top) versus the iPhone's jack on the bottom; This is because of the way I slip it into my breast pocket when traveling. The iPhone does have a very nice mute switch with a red indicator on the side of the phone to quickly set the phone from regular mode to vibrate only.

The ear speaker on the Lumia is nicely recessed into the top edge of the phone while on the iPhone it is about 1cm away from the top edge leading to this oval pit that gathers dust. Similarly, the button at the bottom of the iPhone is like a big lint bowl. The Lumia front is just one solid flat expanse. It looks sleaker and stays "cleaner".

The protruding camera lens is barely a concern in the size and handling of the Lumia 1020. And in some ways it's a benefit as when sitting on a table, it tilts the screen up to you. This is especially nice because of the "glance" screen in which the time and simple notifications are displayed in a very dim but easily readable floating clock. So it is very easy to use this as your bedroom clock for example and a quick glance over will show you time.

Screen
Both seem very similar in resolution. Of course the Lumia is much bigger which makes reading text much easier on the eyes. The blacks are blacker on Lumia as compared to iPhone and on it's highest setting the Lumia is brighter than iphone. Color seem similar between the two. Lumia has more options to adjust color/contrast although for some reason the Brightness control on the Lumia is just three choices instead of a slider bar on the iPhone. Lumia gets the edge here for nicer screen.

Operating System
This is a tough one to compare because they are so different. I could easily see that one person would like one or the other for different reasons. As a former tech guy, I prefer Windowsphone to iOS because how versatile it is. iOs is just a bunch of buttons to launch apps. It's very simple though while Windowsphone can be somewhat frustrating because of its complexity. iOS is much more intuitive of what you're supposed to push and when. With Windowsphone you sometimes have to ask "what do I do now"; sometimes it's a long press, sometimes a double tap, sometimes it's in the triple dot menu at the bottom, sometimes it's a slide over to the next screen...

Where Windowsphone shines compared to iOS is how it manages contacts. It's so easy to have one huge contact list from Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Twitter, etc., etc., and then link the appropriate accounts. You can also group mixed contacts and quickly find all the latest relevant posts from one particular group (such as Friends, Work, College, Family, Fantasyfootball, etc.) no matter which system they are on (Facebook, Twitter, E-mail, Text, etc.). Then by having livetiles of groups or individuals on your homepage you can quickly see when there are new updates. It's very slick. If you are into social networking, the seamlessness of the access to show the latest post from multiple services from a whole group or individual is really quite ingenious. Perhaps there are apps that do similar things for iOS but I haven't bothered to look. I was never much into the social networking thing, but Windowsphone makes it so easy I'm starting to get sucked in. Microsoft really needs to market this quality of Windowsphone as I think it, to me, is the real differentiator between Android or iOS but they really just gloss over it in their marketing campaigns.

Another nice feature of Windowsphone is that even when off, the screen shows the time (an option you can turn off). And you can turn on the phone just with a few taps on the screen (or use the nice on/off button on the side). The iPhone does have the bowl/button but there is no option to have the time displayed when the phone is off. Windowsphone on this Lumia also offers the "peek" option so that the time/notifications are only displayed when you wave your hand in front of the front facing camera.

Overall I think the operating systems draw a tie. The iOS is so robust and straightforward. WindowsPhone is too new and still lacks some simple features. The powerful features are great, but it can be a bit confusing for a new user.

Camera
This of course has been discussed to death. The camera on the Lumia is better. There is lots of misunderstanding and about the 41megapixels and again I think this where Nokia/Microsoft marketing sucks. Over the last 5+ years people have been told that Megapixels mean nothing, blah, blah, blah. And in reality, for most cameras this is true. But not for the Lumia 1020. They should have never even told people how many Megapixels it is. They should just have marketed it as a 5MP camera (since that is what it is, essentially) that delivers far higher resolution, with much less noise than any cameraphone available. The fact that this is done through a 41MP oversampled sensor is just the tech behind the incredible images this thing can capture. By marketing with all the 41MP it gives the general public the impression that it is just a gimmick since "megapixels don't matter". But it is not gimmick. It's the real deal. Very impressive camera. iPhone 5 camera is no slouch of course, but clearly Lumia is better on every account (outdoor, indoor, flash, zoom, etc.).

The software, is another matter. Nokia/Microsoft made this way too confusing. There are too many apps that do the same thing and it's not very seemless to get from one to another. Nokia Pro Cam is a powerful app with a neat interface (the rotating discs), but then there is the regular Camera app, Cinemagraph, Smart Cam, Bing Vision, Panorama, etc. It's all kind of confusing what you are supposed to use when. Although you can access any of those from ProCam it just lacks the seemlessness of other parts of the operating system.

Then there are some really frustrating aspects of photography. The lag-to-lag shot is one thing. But also, there is no way to save your settings. Every time you go back into the camera app (or one of the 6 camera apps) it resets to the default settings. Very poor in this regard. Another problem is the difficulty to go into editing photos. I have to leave the ProCamapp, and then go into either the camera roll or my preferred photo editing app and load the photo I just took. Why go through all of that? On the iPhone, just take a photo and hit "Edit"; one single touch of the screen and I'm in the editing app. On Windowsphone it takes easily 5 or 6 steps and some of them not intuitive (who knew you can click the little "Nokia ProCam" text at the bottom of the picture to go to another screen where you need to click another icon (pencil) to get to the editor. Something so simple and yet so convoluted would be very frustrating for a true novice user.

Call Quality
Seem similar. Lumia speakerphone is louder if that's useful to you but sound is a bit tinny. At my house I get more dropped calls with Verizon for sure but that could just be my location and not a function of the phone.

Keyboard
Similar. The bigger screen makes Lumia a little bit easier. On the other hand, the autocorrect in iOS seems better than Windowsphone. Also, the inconsistency of the keyboard throughout different parts of the operating system on the Lumia can get frustrating. Overall I think this is a tie as well.

Email Clients
While reading and typing, Lumia is better because of the bigger screen. But setup is another story. I am still not able to connect my Lumia to my work's Outlook server when on the iPhone it took 5 seconds. Funny of course since Outlook is also a Microsoft product. Yahoo mail (who still uses that??...I do) and Gmail setup work well. I assume hotmail would also. iPhone\ is so ubiquitous and the operating system has clearly gotten through its growing pains. iPhone wins this one.

Browser
iPhone wins this one also. It's browser is robust, straightforward and not buggy. It just works and renders websites very well. I find that IE on Windowsphone just does not render web pages as well. If it is a mobile site, it seems to work great, but the full screen sites can look terrible. The interface is also annoying. To switch tabs on IE you have to hit the triple dots, then hit tabs, then choose a tab. Some of the app browser in the Windows marketplace are not much better. They may have a great interface (UC Browser, Nokia Xpress) but they render websites so bad as to be unuseable.

App Market
Probably not much more I need to say here that hasn't been said already. There are some very cool apps for Windowsphone (Photobeamer, Nokia Drive, etc.) but there are some glaring omissions. The apps for iOS are far more developed both in quantity and quality. Even some big name apps that might be available for Windowsphone (for example, Fly Delta is one I use a lot as I travel a lot) are a mere shell of the very useful iPhone, iPad, Android apps (and I've used all of them).

Microsoft needs to integrate more of the social networking aspect into the operating system because what they have now is good, it just needs some improvement to be phenomenal. For reading and commenting they've done a halfway decent job with Facebook, but it gets worse quickly. While it's easy to read Twitter feeds, retweeting and messaging is a total mess through the operating system. Also no instagram or vine through the operating system which would be very cool to include.

Simple Games are lacking on Windowsphone marketplace although some of the xbox games are quite incredible.

There are also some terrible apps in the Windowsphone marketplace where it is obvious that Microsoft is not vetting these apps very well at all. Some seem downright illegal (for example, check out an app called "Chrome"...sure looks like it's from Google but it's just a nothing app that loads Internet Explorer). iPhone wins this.

Battery
I've been getting similar usage time on a charge. iPhone might be a bit better. Also, once or twice the Windowsphone just started eating battery juice for unexplained reasons. A quick reboot, fixed it. But, obviously something is running in the background and it doesn't seem easy to figure out what it might be (unlike Android where it was easy with various Task Killer apps, and unlike iPhone where this doesn't seem to happen or at least not to me). Long press of the back button brings up the running Apps in Windowsphone (another not so intuitive function...why isn't it long press of the Windows button?? Makes much more sense).

Overall Experience
Both Lumia and iPhone are great. iOS is way more polished over all and would be the better phone for a first time smartphone user. It's simple and it works. When you want to customize things it's easy to figure out how (the downside is customization is limited). On iOS there is an app for everything (and sometimes too many apps...how many timer apps do we really need).

The Lumia hardware is overall better. Polycarbonate is a great material for a phone. The Lumia screen is better and the camera is out of this world. Windowsphone is a neat operating system but has a long way to go. There are some things that were available on old flip phones that you can't do on Windowsphone. For example, I can't set separate alerts between text message, e-mails, or twitter updates. It's all the same noise. While some things work great together (seemless contact lists), other's don't at all (camera and photo editor). The Nokia apps that come pre-installed are top notch (Drive, Music, CityLens, etc).

To me they are quite even mostly because the Nokia hardware is far superior to the Apple hardware. Clearly Windowsphone needs some improvement and I'm hoping this is coming. Unfortunately, Microsoft can be slow with updates to their operating systems.

The Lumia 1020 is definitely making traction as many people are asking about it and lots more coverage on tech websites, and even on Apple website people are talking about it on the comments pages. This is the first I have seen so much buzz with a Lumia. With the recent mediocre and underwhelming Apple announcement of iPhone 5S and 5C, and as Blackberry fades into nothing, this might be the chance for Microsoft/Nokia to make up some long lost ground. Fix some of the buggy operating system, Microsoft/Nokia, and market the thing better. It's a great product but don't let it falter for too long without updates.

Last edited:

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone been having difficulty taking close up pics? Switching the settings to micro doesn't give me the best shot. Pics come blurry.

mpp1020

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
You are probably just too close. The 1020 won't focus closer than about 6 inches unfortunately. The nice thing, however, is you can just take the closest you can take, and then use the oversampling zoom to crop to what you need (same thing as being closer really) and still get a better picture than an iPhone 5.

Phoquetopus

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Those of you suffering battery drain, do you have gmail accounts setup on the phone? both 920s suffered from battery drain issues and I was forced to return them. I found out later this may have been caused by gmail sync errors.

annellis35

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I am new to the windows phone and have the 1020. I purchased it for several reasons.
Camera
Windows operating system
microsoft office & the cloud
however, I notice the same issues stated here, bluring when scrolling through txt and pictures. How weak the vibrate mode is... I cannot hardly notice it. The call volume should be a personal choice, NOT a preset max. podcast down load issues, lousy calendar compared to my BB.
Please tell me more about the "peek mode" in the Glance... I really do not get that aspect of this phone at all. I came from the blackberry bold and loved it. Was going to buy the new BB, but need a credit card swiper (which I cannot find anywhere that will suit this phone!! ARGH!!).

annellis35

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I was very impressed with the detail and what I perceive to be honest truth. I did feel as I read the pros and cons that much of what was said in regard to cons is what I feel.
the camera apps are way to confusing... To many choices.
the apps and podcasts need some serious work and more main stream variety with better details.

Immediately after purchasing my phone I suffered disappointments with podcasts and the same consistent downloading error, a sorry excuse of a calendar and scheduling choices, could not find apps I had heard great things about with android phones... Just to name a few.

seriously, I could care less about instragrahm, vine etc... Where is the business apps?? Why can I not get a decent credit card processing app? And why no card swiper??

anyway, thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it.

johnnybb#CB

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I think this is my first post on this forums. Anyways, here is my review.

I had Nokia 808 and decided it was time to upgrade. I purchased the iPhone 5S because i was convinced that it was the best thing to get. Overall better phone. However, i didn’t use my phone more than my old Nokia, and as always wanted to use the camera (Even though i miss the nice features from the 808 like FM Radio transmitter, mHDMI out, USB OTG, etc). The only thing great about the iPhone’s camera is that it’s a fast shooter. Video recording is great with the 120 fps. However, i wasn’t pleased with the pictures. On the phone it looked ok. But zooming in, it was blurry and I couldn’t get over it. I sold the iPhone, got a Nokia 1020 and saved some money. Overall love the Nokia, use it more than the iphone, and the camera and applications for it are awesome and easy to use. Even video recording looks better. And even though it has slow shot to shot times, I learned how to use it and at the end got better pictures because of the slow shot to shot time. That’s why I traded the iphone 5s for the Nokia 1020, and I'm overall pleased with it. If I could add something to it, it would be Nokia features from the 808, especially ability to choose different MP and Video recording rates, and a File manager at least. Hoping future updates could solve that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium