Putting the 38 mp image file size in a new perspective...it might not be as bad as it seems.

Bright Chen

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I own a Canon EOS 550D, an able DSLR that shoots 14/16 mp resolution images. Its storage was a tiny 16gb, so it might seem I have to be careful about how I pressed the shutter button. I was wrong.

Recently, on one Vivid Sydney 2013 event night, I armed myself with a tripod and the trusty 550D and proceed to start my first ever attempt in night long-exposures. Sure enough, I wasn't good, so I repeated scenes with different settings, taking dozens of shots at different locations. Since I was busy trying out new compositions, i forgot bout the storage issue. I got home and plugged the camera into my PC...347 images...All at 16mp resolution.

Guess what...that took barely 20% of the 16gb in my camera.

So...6 hours (I stayed awake past midnight) of non-stop shooting took out barely 5 gb of space. Even at the new 38 mp resolution, I doubt it would have taken over 10gb.

The Lumia 1020 offers 32gb: I will guess that music can take bout 800mb, apps bout 5gb (gameloft titles r huge, but most WP apps r tiny in file size), movies...YYY?? That leaves more than 20gb for snapping. Over 800 images is my guess...Thats enough for one pro photographer's day or week out before uploading them onto PhotoShop...im not sure bout selfie-obsessed teens thou...if they like zooming into their faces' various imperfections (like I said before).

It might not be so bad after all. I am not a geek, but this is an educated analysis through my experience with the Lumia 920 as a art student who loves photography...and as a Asian ;)

I'm not saying 32gb is too much, a microsd would be awesome, 64gb version as well, but I am saying its just about...ENOUGH. Do we need a 48 seater bus for a family of 4? What do the folks here say?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, good info. Some 808 owners have also said their file sizes are around the same size on average so it does sound a lot better. I think the problem is people hear that the phone takes XXMP shots and automatically assume that is the final file size and start freaking out. So while its not as much as some would want it seems its not the disaster some are making it out to be.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the press images, the highres ones are all around 10MB, so with 32GB of storage you should find it rather hard to run out of space.

Thing is a lot of people _think_ 32GB is not enough where most of them do not even have first hand experience at a 32GB device and other just use the space to dump all their never used stuff on and then complain it's not enough.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, good info. Some 808 owners have also said their file sizes are around the same size on average so it does sound a lot better. I think the problem is people hear that the phone takes XXMP shots and automatically assume that is the final file size and start freaking out. So while its not as much as some would want it seems its not the disaster some are making it out to be.

The 808, in automatic mode, shoots in 5Mpix @ 85% jpeg compression which yields files sizes @ around ~1.0Mb on average.

The 1020 shoots in 5Mpix but they've bumped up the jpeg compression to 95%, which should have a positive effect on the IQ, but a negative one on files sizes.. probably around 1.5 - 2.0 mb

Still.. the 1020 will give you a much better and smaller jpeg than any other smartphone on the market, expect maybe the 808

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa