Unlocked 1020 work on Verizon?

Joshua Freeman

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, sorry for my lack of knowledge .
If I were to purchase the 1020 unlocked from Microsoft, will it work on Verizon LTE? Also if it does do I just call up Verizon and tell them this is the phone I want to use?
Thanks in advanced. :smile:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone, sorry for my lack of knowledge .
If I were to purchase the 1020 unlocked from Microsoft, will it work on Verizon LTE? Also if it does do I just call up Verizon and tell them this is the phone I want to use?
Thanks in advanced. :smile:

If it *COULD* and you had another LTE based phone now, you could just swap SIM cards. The problem is, it's GSM only. *IF* it supported Verizon's LTE coverage, you would not be able to fall back to 3G (CDMA) on Verizon. Wana talk about dropped calls ? :(

As a phone designed for GSM only, I would bet almost anything that it would not work on Verizon's LTE network...

Joshua Freeman

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
If it *COULD* and you had another LTE based phone now, you could just swap SIM cards. The problem is, it's GSM only. *IF* it supported Verizon's LTE coverage, you would not be able to fall back to 3G (CDMA) on Verizon. Wana talk about dropped calls ? :(

As a phone designed for GSM only, I would bet almost anything that it would not work on Verizon's LTE network...
Thank you for your response. I understand what you are saying. If you don't mind, i have one more question.
Is it officially GSM only on the spec sheet? Also if its GSM only, would that mean it will never come to Verizon, or just the unlocked one is GSM only. Thanks.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I understand what you are saying. If you don't mind, i have one more question.
Is it officially GSM only on the spec sheet? Also if its GSM only, would that mean it will never come to Verizon, or just the unlocked one is GSM only. Thanks.

I has been officially said that it will be going to AT&T. So, it is a GSM only phone. If you want to use a phone on Verizon, you NEED CDMA support.

To answer your question, no this phone will not work on Verizon and the chances are that Verizon wont get it after AT&T's exclusive agreement. That normally is 6 months.

So, if you have to have this phone you need to move to a GSM based carrier (maybe it will wok on TMOUS if it can be unlocked)...sad to say

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What about international versions? I recall one having WCDMA bands at 1900 and 2100..

WCDMA is the Japan standard if I remember correctly (plz correct me if I am wrong here)..
Nokia Lumia 1020 RM-875, RM-877, RM-876 technical specifications :: GSMchoice.co.uk

Shows CDMA support for the international version at 1900... which would work via verizon for 3g. Dunno though. I'll probably wait this one out till late august... till all the dust settles and we can get a fair market price on an international unlocked version.

Also note, on that website that it does not list WCDMA, just CDMA...

Interesting, VERY INTERESTING ! ( looked over the specs on that site) Now ***IF*** it will work (with the 1900mhz it SHOULD work) will Verizon activate it is the big question. I know the LTE network requres just a SIM card swap but, will Verizon allow a "unapproved" device on their network (or with the SIM it can be only used in approved devices). They have always been known to NOT support it, even if the specs would work on their network (a few times I even tried to get a Sprint 3G device and got turned down by their uppper techs).

It's not very common for a GSM device to have a CDMA radio in it and even more so with the freq that Verizon supports....

Edit:
http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/phone/lumia1020/specifications/

In the specs on Nokia it claims support for WCDMA but, not CDMA (not sure if this is the international specs)

WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz

If it's only WCDMA, it would not work on Verizon's network...

So, till it's tested...it's a big MAYBE but, doubtfull....

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you have your heart set on the Pureview, on Verizon.....unfortunately you will probably have to wait until the exclusivity is up with ATT.......probably 6 months. I have a really crappy (was amazing 2 years ago) Android phone that I have been waiting to ditch for WP8, I almost pulled the trigger on the 928, but saw the leaks on the 1020, and decided to wait. Now the 1020 (1028??) is the only phone that I want, and will have to wait until it comes to VZW (I have grandfathered unlimited data that I do not want to give up). Im willing to wait the 6 months, and am hoping that the newer version that goes to VZW will be 1080p supported, and WP 8.1.........now i just need to deal with the L...L...L...L....A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A.A......G.G.G.G.G.G.G.GGGGGGGGGG on my android for 6 more months.....FML

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It will get interesting pretty soon. Verizon is moving to simultaneous Voice & Data over LTE, and they are about to launch their second LTE network on the AWS bands, which is exactly where T-Mobile's LTE network is. Conceivably, you will soon be able to use T-Mobile phones on Verizon if you're in an AWS area, and the Verizon GS4 and L928 will work on T-Mobile's LTE network once Verizon enables it.

Edit: AT&T also has some AWS spectrum running LTE, so its possible this will work

Last edited:

Beau Claar

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
...an interesting side note. If you decide to get the Lumia 928 on Verizon...AWS is supported just not turned on. It was one of the reasons I went ahead and purchased it. Best phone I have had in 6 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs