07-16-2013 11:10 AM
81 1234
tools
    I'd get a 1020 for the versatility (though I'd rather get an 808, since it works better as a phone)
    Either an 808 or a DSLR for the quality.
    The 808 has a larger FSI sensor than the 1020 BSI sensor. Oh well.
    The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR. I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.
    Dare2Blink likes this.
    07-14-2013 06:33 AM
    I think the lumia 1020 will be better than cheap compact cameras because its smaller and has better software especially the zoom after you made the picture. Then for the real professionals a good camera is better of course but you just dont carry such an camera Always while you can carry the 1020 with you all the time
    Dare2Blink likes this.
    07-14-2013 06:39 AM
    good, then we can all switch to VGA cameras
    may be you didnt understand my response, a better camera doesnot necessarily take a better photo, its about the photographer, more talented he is, the better the photo will be. you disagree??please do so, but before you do it, just head over to flickr and see works of some talented photographers with nokia 808, and compare it too some ****ty work of dslr owner.

camera doesnot elevate your photographic talent.
    07-14-2013 07:09 AM
    The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR. I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.
    in IQ terms? I'm not sure...and colors on 808&DSLR are almost the same natural colors while 1020 colors are same like on other basic smartphones like Xperia Z etc. Nothing strange since 808&DSLRs use FSI sensor while 1020&basic smartphones use BSI...

may be you didnt understand my response, a better camera doesnot necessarily take a better photo, its about the photographer, more talented he is, the better the photo will be. you disagree??please do so, but before you do it, just head over to flickr and see works of some talented photographers with nokia 808, and compare it too some ****ty work of dslr owner.

camera doesnot elevate your photographic talent.
    better camera takes better photo the same way better photographer will take better photo, combination of two gives the best results :) how would you take a good photo in a very low light situation with an iphone? Impossibiru.
    07-14-2013 07:13 AM
    better camera takes better photo the same way better photographer will take better photo, combination of two gives the best results :) how would you take a good photo in a very low light situation with an iphone? Impossibiru.
    I agree, you see an average person will take a photo in auto mode in 808, which you will agree, is not that great, but a talented photographer will switch to creative mode and try different settings.

My whole point is, please dont compare 1020 with dslr, first make up your mind, do you want a phone? or you want to get a camera? My personal advice to OP would be, if you are new to photography, and want to explore more, then get a nokia 1020, and when you are proficient with all the settings and techniques, buy a dslr later.
    Dare2Blink likes this.
    07-14-2013 07:54 AM
    It all depends on your needs.. if you think your skill level is high enough for a professional camera, then that's what you get, but for the most part a camera like the 1020 should be more than enough.

Also, I think a lot of people overlook the fact that the 1020 would record better sound during video than almost all DSLRs out there.. and you can bring with you anywhere, and your hand won't get tired of holding it up for 10-20 mins...

You will need a separate microphone for your dslr to get better sound quality..

The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR..
    True. Depending on which DSLR have in mind.. the difference can vary

I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.
    Hm.. we will have to wait and see. The 808 seems to clean up the junk (noise/grain, etc) very well in pretty much all sorts of conditions, so.. I am not sure that there will be a big difference. The OIS should help, but I am not sure how much.

Where the 1020 will excel is video recording. I think it will be the ultimate video recording device.. HAAC, stereo recording, OIS, oversampling, zoom.. its solid! The 808 has great IQ and sound during video, but the stabilization sucks.. its almost non-existent.

The Xenon Flash is a bit smaller than on the Nokia 808: GN 3.2 versus GN 3.5 – GN stands for light output.

I can't see how weaker xenon can shoot longer distance and don't forget Nokia is trying to sell 1020 while 808 production is stopped so they will advertise it as the best device in every aspect and I don't believe them one bit there(remember "stabilisation van") :)
    I see.. well then they might be lying because it think the 4.5 meter thing is in the white paper they published.

And ya.. I remember the van bs :)
    07-14-2013 08:03 AM
    I would like to hear that stereo and compare it with 808, hope it's done a lot better than stereo on HTC 8X.

Stabilisation is excellent for video however 1. you can stabilise it afterwards on your PC (which takes time) and 2. buy some steadicam, 808 + steadicam is still quite a lot cheaper than 1020 :D

I agree, you see an average person will take a photo in auto mode in 808, which you will agree, is not that great, but a talented photographer will switch to creative mode and try different settings.
    that is true however..an average person will be curious what is that creative mode and start experimenting..and eventually become better photographer :) before 808 I was not that much into photography(if at all), now I'm reviewing some quite expensive DSLRs and even thinking about should I buy a better car or camera, lol I blame it all on 808

as you have already pointed out 1020 is good for people who want to explore&see if photography is really for them, that's what compact cameras were for before 808&1020(and N8 to some extent)
    07-14-2013 08:12 AM
    in IQ terms? I'm not sure...and colors on 808&DSLR are almost the same natural colors while 1020 colors are same like on other basic smartphones like Xperia Z etc. Nothing strange since 808&DSLRs use FSI sensor while 1020&basic smartphones use BSI...
    That has nothing to do with the sensor type. It has to do with the image processing. You can make a DSLR's output look like it was shot in Disney cartoon. Nokia just opted for a more saturnated output with the 1020. Hell, the standard JPEG output varies widely between different DSLR manufacturers.
    07-14-2013 09:13 AM
    it does vary, but not this much I'd say

I have yet to see BSI camera that takes real color pictures, maybe those with FSI sensor are easier to "calibrate" to match reality
    07-14-2013 09:21 AM
    That has nothing to do with the sensor type. It has to do with the image processing. You can make a DSLR's output look like it was shot in Disney cartoon. Nokia just opted for a more saturnated output with the 1020. Hell, the standard JPEG output varies widely between different DSLR manufacturers.

True. Canon hasn't stopped punchy /vivid jpg, nor has Nikon ditched their flat output.
    Time that Nokia experiments and find something that works for most of the consumers.
    I mean let's be fair - Nokia's imaging team hasn't consistently stood behind one output look.
    07-14-2013 09:23 AM
    Canon is a bit punchier but not that much

look at this comparison with 808, not much difference although you can say it's a slight bit punchier

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-con...tije4crops.jpg

now look at the comparison between 808 Minolta and Iphone 4(which has BSI sensor), look at the tower color, it's literally night&day

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-con...e1-560x420.jpg
    07-14-2013 09:40 AM

look at this comparison with 808, not much difference although you can say it's a slight bit punchier

now look at the comparison between 808 Minolta and Iphone 4(which has BSI sensor), look at the tower color, it's literally night&day

Those a pretty good examples.

The color reproduction of the 808 came from the same family of jpeg processing the N8 came from.. very natural. I think Mr. Dinning pushed very hard in that direction.. its always easier to add saturation to a natural looking source jpeg, than the other way around.

You can pump up the saturation on the 808 as well..

I took this couple of days ago in Florida: http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam...050652Fwhc.jpg

And I maxed out the saturation to see if I can get some grain .. and indeed, you can see it in the clouds.
    07-14-2013 10:04 AM

All that proves is that the iphone processes pictures to look more warm.
    07-14-2013 10:10 AM
    What would you choose to buy if you are into photography as a hobby?! And why?
    Even though I'm biased and obsessed with the 1020, it won't replace a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe a cheapo-mid range PnS, but not a DSLR. That said, the 1020 is a good complement with a DSLR, not a replacement. ;)
    aaa6112 likes this.
    07-14-2013 10:33 AM
    Even though I'm biased and obsessed with the 1020, it won't replace a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe a cheapo-mid range PnS, but not a DSLR. That said, the 1020 is a good complement with a DSLR, not a replacement. ;)
    I agree with this. There will continue to be situations that warrant the use of a dslr. For instance, it is nearly impossible to capture pictures of my 9 month old without high fps and I typically want a blurred background so I shoot her at f1.8 which also helps with low light indoors. The 1020 will not accomplish this primarily because it won't allow bursts of photos that are needed with infants. I'm excited about the 1020 for occasions that I don't have my dslr and hope it can replace my pocket size Canon SD880 for things like dinners with friends, hiking, and walking around new cities on vacation taking pics when I don't want the bulk of the dslr. My L900 camera is terrible and only rarely gets used for sending pics to Facebook so hopefully the 1020 can replace my compact camera for good. It will be nice for video as well, but in the same context as the above comparisons, there will still be cases where I will use my 1080p60 video camera with superior optical zoom and advanced settings at my fingertips.
    07-14-2013 10:57 AM
    All that proves is that the iphone processes pictures to look more warm.
    it does, however I doubt (=not 100% certain) that BSI also plays its part there
    07-14-2013 11:08 AM
    It doesn't. All BSI does is allowing more light to hit the sensor.
    07-14-2013 11:24 AM
    I have read some papers about it, the way of "collecting" light in BSI sensors is different from those in FSI ones, that might have impact on colors.. dunno just contemplating :)
    Juanma Herrera likes this.
    07-14-2013 11:58 AM
    This is the most informative paper on the FSI vs. BSI that I've read so far:

http://www.aptina.com/news/FSI-BSI-WhitePaper.pdf

For now I think that the BSI tech is simply a workaround to allow for larger mpix counts on smaller sensors..

Precisly.

A good cameraphone is the perfect comapnion to a DSLR, not a replacement. What gets replaced here is the middle ground.. all those compact P&S and event he high end compacts.
    07-14-2013 12:36 PM
    If you've used a DSLR with automaitc mode turned off then I think you know the control you have over appeture, shutter speed, ISO, depth of field, etc. If that interests you then borrow a DSLR and take a 3-hour intro class. You can often find them for $35. After the class and some practice shooting, you'll know if that's something you want to get into before making the investment.

The 1020 will be a nice replacement for where I'd carry a point and shoot but not my DSLR. If only there was a way to make underwater cases for the 1020 I could get sell my P&S underwater camera. I'm guessing there isn't a way to make a touch screen usable under 130' of water.
    07-14-2013 05:57 PM
    Would anyone happen to know the statistics on the common consumer side who uses their phone camera vs an actual camera (P&S)? I would think that a cameraphone would be utilized more than a camera for everyday type situations. Even if the 808/1020 isn't replacement for a dslr, I would think it would be a replacement for a P&S type camera. -Which IMO, most people have over SLR's, if not at all...
    07-14-2013 06:18 PM
    If a hobby, no question a cheap SLR. If the hobby was such that I wanted to snap the best kick-quarters photos I can shoot at the spur of the moment then the 1020 is a no brainer.
    07-14-2013 06:23 PM
    There will continue to be situations that warrant the use of a dslr. For instance, it is nearly impossible to capture pictures of my 9 month old without high fps.
    This is what came to mind for me as well. I'd have a lot fewer good photos of my children without my dslr.
    07-14-2013 07:31 PM
    If you want to pay over 800 buck for a camera that will take pictures the same as the 1020 or slightly better then do that if you want something that costs less around 650 bucks that can also make phone calls then get the 1020. This will surely take better pictures than a $400 point and shoot.
    07-14-2013 09:25 PM
    Even if the 808/1020 isn't replacement for a dslr, I would think it would be a replacement for a P&S type camera....
    As a amateur photographer and an owner of a Nokia 808 .. I would never buy a compact P&S camera. Maybe I will upgrade my DSLR, but my 808 is covers all other basis..
    xconomicron and aaa6112 like this.
    07-14-2013 10:23 PM
81 1234