Lumia 1020 or a 'cheap' SLR?

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have read some papers about it, the way of "collecting" light in BSI sensors is different from those in FSI ones, that might have impact on colors.. dunno just contemplating :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is the most informative paper on the FSI vs. BSI that I've read so far:

http://www.aptina.com/news/FSI-BSI-WhitePaper.pdf

For now I think that the BSI tech is simply a workaround to allow for larger mpix counts on smaller sensors..

Even though I'm biased and obsessed with the 1020, it won't replace a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe a cheapo-mid range PnS, but not a DSLR. That said, the 1020 is a good complement with a DSLR, not a replacement. ;)

Precisly.

A good cameraphone is the perfect comapnion to a DSLR, not a replacement. What gets replaced here is the middle ground.. all those compact P&S and event he high end compacts.

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
If you've used a DSLR with automaitc mode turned off then I think you know the control you have over appeture, shutter speed, ISO, depth of field, etc. If that interests you then borrow a DSLR and take a 3-hour intro class. You can often find them for $35. After the class and some practice shooting, you'll know if that's something you want to get into before making the investment.

The 1020 will be a nice replacement for where I'd carry a point and shoot but not my DSLR. If only there was a way to make underwater cases for the 1020 I could get sell my P&S underwater camera. I'm guessing there isn't a way to make a touch screen usable under 130' of water.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Would anyone happen to know the statistics on the common consumer side who uses their phone camera vs an actual camera (P&S)? I would think that a cameraphone would be utilized more than a camera for everyday type situations. Even if the 808/1020 isn't replacement for a dslr, I would think it would be a replacement for a P&S type camera. -Which IMO, most people have over SLR's, if not at all...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If a hobby, no question a cheap SLR. If the hobby was such that I wanted to snap the best kick-quarters photos I can shoot at the spur of the moment then the 1020 is a no brainer.

essinger

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
There will continue to be situations that warrant the use of a dslr. For instance, it is nearly impossible to capture pictures of my 9 month old without high fps.

This is what came to mind for me as well. I'd have a lot fewer good photos of my children without my dslr.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
If you want to pay over 800 buck for a camera that will take pictures the same as the 1020 or slightly better then do that if you want something that costs less around 650 bucks that can also make phone calls then get the 1020. This will surely take better pictures than a $400 point and shoot.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Even if the 808/1020 isn't replacement for a dslr, I would think it would be a replacement for a P&S type camera....

As a amateur photographer and an owner of a Nokia 808 .. I would never buy a compact P&S camera. Maybe I will upgrade my DSLR, but my 808 is covers all other basis..

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want to pay over 800 buck for a camera that will take pictures the same as the 1020 or slightly better then do that if you want something that costs less around 650 bucks that can also make phone calls then get the 1020. This will surely take better pictures than a $400 point and shoot.

An 800 dollar dslr will always take significantly better pictures than the 1020, even if it has less megapixels. Those 41 megapixels packed into that sensor the size of your pinky nail will not capture as much light creating noiser and generally not as high resolution pictures as a full frame 35mm, 21 megapixels even, sensor dslr.

But yes, comparing a phone camera to a dslr is pointless. If the choice is between the 1020 and a high end point and shoot, I'd still probably go with the 1020.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was searching youtube for unboxing vidz on lumia 520 to 920 as well as information on 1020 and all the ads that came before the vidz were of the Samsung Smart Camera NX something. Apparently Samsung and Google are monitoring the Lumia story closely and they are gonna use the 1020 vs SLR argument. You guys have the same thing?

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was searching youtube for unboxing vidz on lumia 520 to 920 as well as information on 1020 and all the ads that came before the vidz were of the Samsung Smart Camera NX something. Apparently Samsung and Google are monitoring the Lumia story closely and they are gonna use the 1020 vs SLR argument. You guys have the same thing?

Nope, but what annoys me is that Samsung will say it's far better than the Lumia 1020.

That S4 Zoom is an absolute joke. So is the Galaxy NX.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
An 800 dollar dslr will always take significantly better pictures than the 1020, even if it has less megapixels. Those 41 megapixels packed into that sensor the size of your pinky nail will not capture as much light creating noiser and generally not as high resolution pictures as a full frame 35mm, 21 megapixels even, sensor dslr.

But yes, comparing a phone camera to a dslr is pointless. If the choice is between the 1020 and a high end point and shoot, I'd still probably go with the 1020.

Generally, yes .. but it depends on the DSLR and the lens you are using. I have an older Canon Xti and to be honest with you I don't find much of a difference in terms of noise levels b/w my 41mpix machine and the camera.

Of course, I am talking about daylight conditions..

you can see for yourself here: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I've also done some comps against a smaller P&S, but still considered a good camera: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

and here are some against one of the higher ends, Sony RX 100: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

against Canon G15: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Of course, if you put it up against something like a Nikon D800 equipped with a 2000 dollar lens.. well, it doesn't stand a chance.

The 41mpix tech shines in good condition and low ISO.. the lens is phenomenal considering the size, and the amount of detail it has to resolve.

Look at this: http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201306202306wX8Tj2.jpg

Very DSLR like..

haggishunter81

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Really surprised folk think that this phone will be so incredible that it can be a good alternative to a proper camera, in short no, I carry a nice compact camera around if I don't have my dslr and even though my 920 can take some impressive night shots, my compact is just better, as far as a comparison to the Canon 500d I just sold, no contest, that goes for the 7d that I just bought too. It's a proper tool for the job, not a multifunctional toy which can pull loads of neat tricks.... But I'm still looking forward to having a play with one though, I really like the lumia range and I love my 920, apart from the constant freezing I have put up with......

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
LMZR, after some time it's still the same thing for me. When I search youtube for vidz on lumia unboxings the advert before they let you view the clip you actually want to watch is the samsung smart camera nx300. Google is actively tweeking their search algorithm so that people who try to look at lumia devices are served an advert for a samsung smart camera nx 300. Pretty sneaky of them.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In my case, I already have a great camera with my Canon EOS, but I'm not a professional photographer, so no way I'm carrying it around all the time.

My justification for a Lumia 1020 is that why on earth would I carry multiple devices on a daily basis? I'll carry the 92X or 1020 as an incredible daily driver and save the Canon for special occasions.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't personally see this as a fair comparison as they are completely different devices and take pictures in completely different ways.

Regardless of the camera, the 1020 is still a smartphone. So if you want the functionality of a smartphone and a suitable camera then a 1020 will suit you.

If you want a professional camera then you're looking at a DSLR. A DSLR, last time I checked, didn't have smartphone capabilities. There's also compact DSLR cameras now which are easier to carry and the picture quality is fantastic. Regardless how good the picture quality you get out of the 1020 it is not going to be comparable to a DSLR.

On top of that there are many compact cameras (a lot cheaper than smartphones) that still blow away most smartphone cameras in picture quality.

If you want a smartphone with a good camera for pictures on the go, get the 1020. If you want to take high quality pictures as a hobby (or eventually professional) then get a DSLR.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah no camera phone take as a good a picture as a dslr. That said I don't carry my canon everywhere, I usually plan taking it out, or for family events like birthdays. But for everyday normal activity I just don't so I think that's the void being filled here. Even for some people this will be good enough to justify leaving the p&s home.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
LMZR, after some time it's still the same thing for me. When I search youtube for vidz on lumia unboxings the advert before they let you view the clip you actually want to watch is the samsung smart camera nx300. Google is actively tweeking their search algorithm so that people who try to look at lumia devices are served an advert for a samsung smart camera nx 300. Pretty sneaky of them.

And THAT'S why we all love google...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss