Lumia 1020 or a 'cheap' SLR?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally would wait until all the reviews and comparisons are done. Then make a choice as to what is the best option.

Last edited:

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Are people really expecting a camera phone, regardless of MP count, to be a replacement for a dslr? Really?

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Are people really expecting a camera phone, regardless of MP count, to be a replacement for a dslr? Really?
Exactly. If you're into photography, get a DSLR. if you're into taking nice pictures and sharing them via social networks where resolution is mediocre, get the 1020. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
1020 is a very versatile package. It's difficult to pin point exactly where it fits due to the specificness of its design. What it certainly may do, is reduces the appeals of prosumer cameras like the Canon S110 - while 1020 won't replace DSLR & lens in the studio - it serves to capture high quality image for the masses in a very unique way - in that sense it's difficult/expensive to match.

To match 1020's lossless constant aperture zoom capability on DSLR (3x F2.2 lens) - you're looking at something like the Canon L 24-70 F2.8 (slower, unstabilised, discontinued) for about ?700 off eBay; or ?1795.00 for the mark 2. That's not even including the camera body, nor the flash. (bulk, having to charge, etc) To match it's audio - you need a decent external stereo mic - which you most likely won't have always on you, etc. No brainer really.

That said - if you plan to go around looking like a tourist - it's not a bad call to spend around ?400 gets you a decent 600D kit, throw in a ?76 50mm prime - that's all the gear you'd need - but then you'd need to carry around a phone too.

If you're that into photography - chances are you've got gears and are looking into 1020 as a backup. If you haven't got gears yet - then it saves you the investment of the bulk of lens, flashes, bodys, systems. If it turns out you're really into photography - 1020 might open your eyes for a DSLR down the road.

Mocah

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Not too mention the quick controlling of adjustments you'll have on the DSLR. The Pro Cam app is nice, but it's not near as quick.

On a side note, I personally love carrying around a camera. It can be less convenient in some situations, but I definitely wouldn't trade the experience of my D90 w/50mm prime for the 1020.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am not a photographer, but I like to take photos, good photos, without carrying a separate camera ... I have Canon 550D at home, but it is too big to carry (I do not take it even for my holidays). It makes great videos too, but they are just too big by size (needs converting), to make them useable ... well, some other guys prefer separate cam, but I prefer just a good easily carried phone cam to be always and quickly available from my pocket ...

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not a photographer, but I like to take photos, good photos, without carrying a separate camera ... I have Canon 550D at home, but it is too big to carry (I do not take it even for my holidays). It makes great videos too, but they are just too big by size (needs converting), to make them useable ... well, some other guys prefer separate cam, but I prefer just a good easily carried phone cam to be always and quickly available from my pocket ...
exactly. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Koeitje

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
A DSLR, it will still destroy anything the 1020 can produce. Even non full-frame DSLR's have sensors that are about 3 times bigger and you can play a lot more with DoF on a DSLR. It is also MUCH faster (turning it on, focussing, bursting). If you want something compact with high quality you can get a X100s for example, but that is already more expensive than an entry level DSLR but it also has one of the best sensors around. Fuji's non-bayer sensors are just amazing. Regardless, the 1020 will be amazing but all this talk about replacing DSLR's is just bull. The only thing it might get close to are Nikon's 1-series.

Still going to get a 1020, because I don't want to carry a camera all the time. But I don't consider it to be a replacement for a DSLR or one of the other alternatives with similar sensors.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd get a 1020 for the versatility (though I'd rather get an 808, since it works better as a phone)
Either an 808 or a DSLR for the quality.
The 808 has a larger FSI sensor than the 1020 BSI sensor. Oh well.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd get a 1020 for the versatility (though I'd rather get an 808, since it works better as a phone)
Either an 808 or a DSLR for the quality.
The 808 has a larger FSI sensor than the 1020 BSI sensor. Oh well.

Careful...It's apparent that the OP is interested in WP, NOT Symbian. Not sure how the 808 works better as a phone, as I have a N8 and don't find that the telephony is any better, or worse, than my Lumia 900. Not to mention that support for the 808 and Symbian has waned considerably; WP8 is guaranteed support for many months to come.

With that said, the OP would best be served to wait for reviews and samples from production devices (not the 1020 prototypes we've seen thus far) as well as consider that OIS is not present on the 808. Price, convenience, and availability could also be considerations.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel