Lumia 1020 or a 'cheap' SLR?

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
This is the most informative paper on the FSI vs. BSI that I've read so far:

http://www.aptina.com/news/FSI-BSI-WhitePaper.pdf

For now I think that the BSI tech is simply a workaround to allow for larger mpix counts on smaller sensors..

Precisly.

A good cameraphone is the perfect comapnion to a DSLR, not a replacement. What gets replaced here is the middle ground.. all those compact P&S and event he high end compacts.

Reading the fsi-bsi white paper, I have my own conclusions:
- Image processing algorithms have to improve in BSI sensor and it's harder than in FSI ones. There are some problems dued to BSI sensor as those that we call "black spots" (see burst mode examples in Sony xperia Z, where images aren't as processed as in normal mode)

- A 1.4 microns pixel BSI sensor has slightly better IQ than a 1.4 FSI one.

- A 1.4 microns pixel FSI sensor has better IQ than a 1.12 BSI one, mostly in low light.

- 808 has better IQ than 1020 will, even (mostly) in low light.

-------------------------

OIS is just a real improvement for video and a few low light situations, I think it doesn't compensates. You don't need it in flash pics, or even in low light portraits with no fladh, because people aren't statues and you can't have a good shoot at 1/2s in where people aren't completely still.

Where is pixel binning? Looking at the Nokia examples, 5 mpx pictures in 1020 seems simply as resized from 38 mpx ones, like we can do in any app or photoshop, I can't see a real improvement in IQ like it did in 808 PV.

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
"stabilization van" are you serious? you mean the add that was just illustrating the effect of OIS (which they latter replicated with an actual 920 with the same effect). It is obvious that the 1020 is going to take better overall pictures than the 808, the OIS alone will make a huge difference in low light conditions, and judging form the software improvements form the 920 to the 925, it is clear that nokia wastes no time in greatly improving software algorithms for their phones.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
"stabilization van" are you serious?

Yupp, that's example of bad marketing for me. It would be another story if they stated it's just an example of what OIS can do done by professional equipment, but they started justifying themselves only after people got their "trick".

It is obvious that the 1020 is going to take better overall pictures than the 808, the OIS alone will make a huge difference in low light conditions, and judging form the software improvements form the 920 to the 925, it is clear that nokia wastes no time in greatly improving software algorithms for their phones.

software algorithm can't compensate for hardware difference here, just look at official samples from 808 and compare them with those from 1020, OIS makes differnece only in static scenes where you don't have time to settle your hand, such situations are very very rare especially in mobile photography

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think that the 1020 won't allow a burst of shots ? You can use the nokia smartcam app that takes 10 consecutive shots, its perfect for taking pictures of kids.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah no camera phone take as a good a picture as a dslr. That said I don't carry my canon everywhere, I usually plan taking it out, or for family events like birthdays. But for everyday normal activity I just don't so I think that's the void being filled here. Even for some people this will be good enough to justify leaving the p&s home.

I think most people leave their P&S at home these days. Majority of high end phones take a picture that most people will be happy with. However, if you want good pictures a quality compact camera still beats any high end phone camera hands down and any DSLR will make both compacts and phone camera pictures look low res by comparison. A lot depends on the person taking the picture too. As someone already stated, good hardware beats software, always.

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
OIS is great for night landscape. You can shoot with lumia 920 at 1/2s taking care with no trepidation.

But for night portrait, the most of the pics we usually shot with a phone, you need 1/16s (or minimum 1/8s), and in those speed I get no trepidated images in my non-OISed Xperia Z, so really its better for you to have a better noise control at higher iso than OIS.

Enviado desde mi C6603 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Does anyone think Nokia should have come up with a 'mini' proprietary lens attachment for the 1020? If they are going to continue the Pureview in future models, I think having actual attachments would smoke the competition and make a bigger argument for the amateur photographer. I could definitely see field reporters and other photographers always keeping a 1020 on hand with a small pouch for some lenses. Much more portable than even a Sony Nex camera or the like.

Maybe they could have called the attachments the "N" mount for Nokia. ;)

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think most people leave their P&S at home these days. Majority of high end phones take a picture that most people will be happy with. However, if you want good pictures a quality compact camera still beats any high end phone camera hands down and any DSLR will make both compacts and phone camera pictures look low res by comparison. A lot depends on the person taking the picture too. As someone already stated, good hardware beats software, always.

I agree with you just saying that "some" may find it "good enough" not that the camera phone is as good.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any phone will ever replace a DSLR, because DSLR is designed to be one thing and one thing only vs the 1020 is a Phone 1st and Camera second. I would say if your going somewhere were you don't feel safe carrying a $1000+ camera then the 1020 is one hell of a backup for that. I am not a pro photographer but I do love the 920 camera, I know I would drool over the 1020 camera. I would select this over your typical PnS camera though.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 cameras: Sony NEX, Nokia 808 Pureview and Lumia 920. The NEX having APSC sensor is technically capable of image quality equivalent to entry-level DSLRs. However, under good lighting conditions, the 808 is so good in 41MP, that it greatly outresolves the NEX. Therefore, I actually prefer shooting with the 808 more than the NEX (in good lighting conditions). The amount of details and sharpness is incredible.

Low light images are a different story.

The 808 is also capable of taking great low-light pictures in downsampled mode, although overall the NEX still performs better in low-light thanks to the large sensor. The 920, however, performs very well in low-light - I will say it can even outperform the 808 in situations where the Optical Image Stabilization can help to keep the shutter open longer. I have no difficulties shooting with 1/3 seconds exposure at ISO 100 with the Lumia 920. The 920's OIS, and the 808's 41MP large sensor, are essentially complementary features. So combining both features into the Lumia 1020 will, I strongly believe, be a huge improvement especially when shooting in low light. Imagine having all your shots (daytime and night time) all taken with base ISO 100?

A further comment about the NEX's OIS. Although the NEX also has Optical SteadyShot (where the OIS is located in the lens rather than camera body), it is nearly impossible for me to take pictures handheld with shutter speeds slower than 1/10 seconds. This is possibly due to the weight of the device. Many low-light shots had to be taken at ISO 1600 or above. In contrast, I can shoot at 1/3 seconds exposure with Lumia 920 relatively effortlessly. So when comparing low-light capabilities, although the NEX has far larger sensor size, it may require images to be taken at faster shutter speed, which means you need to use higher ISO setting to offset this, which in turn means you get more noise.

Of course, the NEX gives you a lot more possibilities. You can change to brighter lens, fisheye, macro, telephoto lens, etc. I use a third-party f/1.8 55mm lens together with the NEX, the bokeh effect can never be matched by any smartphone camera. But this means spending a few hundred dollars more on additional lens. With just the kit lens, I find that the difference in image quality between NEX and 808 is not that great. At least not great enough for me to justify carrying an extra (and relatively heavier) device everywhere. Of course technically the NEX is still a better camera overall. But to me, the 808 is more than good enough to use 95% of the time. The only 5% that I use the NEX is for very special occasions.

To put this into perspective, my previous phone was the Nokia N8. It is still considered a good cameraphone by today's standards, but my usage of N8 and NEX was probably around 50%-50%. This was mainly because the quality difference between the N8 and NEX is still quite significant. With 808, the gap is a lot smaller which resulted in the NEX sitting in the cabinet most of the time nowadays. The 808 is really that good.

It is cliche that the best camera is the one you have with you. I find this to be absolutely true, magical moments of inspiration can happen anytime, anywhere. By having an awesome camera with you all the time, it will really expand your horizon, and you will find yourself taking more and more pictures. This will become a hobby that you can indulge ANYTIME, rather than one that requires some planning in advance (taking out a DSLR must be a deliberate decision). As you get more and more into it, perhaps you can then consider more specialized equipments possibly even higher-end DSLRs with good lens. But I will recommend the 1020 for starting out a hobby for the simple reason that it will give you a deeper appreciation for photography once you start taking lots of routine pictures with it.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I am an ameteur photographer who shoots at events. I've mentioned this several times now already that here in the US, some events do not let a person in with no more than just a phone. -If I have to guess, it is usually because of security reasons... I've actually missed out on a few gigs/$$ because of this. -That is why I got the 808 last year. It may not be the best alternative to my DSLR, but I do find it still useful in a sense where I can get the job done and still have decent looking stills/videos.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
For a phone and a casual photo when your DSLR is not around ---> 1020.
For expert-grade photos - a DSLR.

The price tag is almost the same for a decent DSLR as far as i know (700$), and the DSLR offers a more options to configure. I know, the 1020 offers also much options with the Pro Camera app, but the DSLR has much bigger lenses and imaging processors, which are built specifically to process images and nothing else. I don't say that th 1020s' isn't, but you get the point.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After buying the Lumia 920 to serve as my primary camera I quickly discovered that it was not up to the task. Shots are nice, but the grain and general lack of sharpness bothered me over time. It could not capture the shadows accurately in my child's face. So, I bought a Nikon P7700 which is an "enthusiast" point-and-shoot camera with a 1/1.7" sensor. Let me just say that this camera utterly and completely blows away the 920. It is not even close, and there is no facet where the 920 is superior. I am still blown away with the sharpness of the P7700. Noise levels are not that great in low light, but in daylight it competes with an SLR.

That said, I just took a look at the sample shots here: Nokia Lumia 1020 picture gallery: zoom in – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

Once again...there is no comparison here to a good camera, even a point-and-shoot, and certainly not an SLR. There is just too much noise and a lack of sharpness once again with this new camera. I see light and colors bleeding into other colors. Is it nice for a phone? Certainly, but once you zoom in (which is what they are telling us to do!) you can easily see its shortcomings. Look at the wooden boards the woman is walking over. Looks very 920-ish to me. The old man's hair is riddled with noise. On the grass scene, zoom and look to the right at the group of three people. That is not crop-worthy detail...VERY blurry.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
After buying the Lumia 920 to serve as my primary camera I quickly discovered that it was not up to the task. Shots are nice, but the grain and general lack of sharpness bothered me over time.

you could know that without buying should just ask people from photography forums, there is no way you can squeeze quality from such a small sensor :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Some of the images have very good sharpness toward the middle of the frame..

This:http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2877/9264385004_855360efaf_o.jpg

after a resize:

VGI99wf.jpg

pretty impressive

you could know that without buying should just ask people from photography forums, there is no way you can squeeze quality from such a small sensor :)

True that.

I still think that the camera manufacturers should advertise the size of the sensors and the size of the pixels instead of the mpix count.. its soo misleading..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05