...I have reservations about WP8. In this thread I'm hoping you all can help me decide regarding nav. I am mostly happy with the nav on WP 7.8. Is the built-in nav on Nokia WP8 phones better or worse than that? I do not want to buy a nav app. I want to only use what's built in.
    07-14-2013 08:29 AM
    The built-in Nokia HERE Drive app is on of the best there is.
    falconeight and lippidp like this.
    07-14-2013 08:33 AM
    Agreed. Was one of my biggest fears coming from iPhone and google maps, but I can honestly say Here Maps and Drive apps are awesome!
    lippidp likes this.
    07-14-2013 09:43 AM
    Navigation is the main reason I want to upgrade to WP8 from 7.8. If you stick with the free apps, you have Nokia drive which will give voice directions but omit all the street names to make it confusing which of the streets it's referring to in dense areas, or Bing maps which makes you tap the screen all the time but which has street names (since this isn't 2005). Apparently the WP8 version of Drive is aware of what decade this is and included street names.
    lippidp likes this.
    07-14-2013 07:30 PM
    Navigation is the main reason I want to upgrade to WP8 from 7.8. If you stick with the free apps, you have Nokia drive which will give voice directions but omit all the street names to make it confusing which of the streets it's referring to in dense areas, or Bing maps which makes you tap the screen all the time but which has street names (since this isn't 2005). Apparently the WP8 version of Drive is aware of what decade this is and included street names.
    It sounds like you haven't actually used the nav in WP8. I don't like the screen tapping, but at least Bing nav includes traffic, which is key for me. I understand Nokia Drive doesn't account for traffic. Nokia Drive+ I think was recently upgraded to include traffic, but the app is still in Beta. I can't rely on Beta software.
    07-14-2013 08:20 PM
    I understand Nokia Drive doesn't account for traffic. Nokia Drive+ I think was recently upgraded to include traffic, but the app is still in Beta. I can't rely on Beta software.
    That's ridiculous. Beta tag on this means it's not feature complete, but the stability is fine.
    07-14-2013 08:24 PM
    No! it is the best there is, hands down.
    07-14-2013 09:07 PM
    That's ridiculous. Beta tag on this means it's not feature complete, but the stability is fine.
    Wasn't the previous update pulled due to stability problems? I am a fan of Nokia, too, but let's try to stay objective here.
    07-15-2013 08:07 AM
    ok another thing I noticed is there a way to activate Navigation with tell me by any chance? I would like to tell it to navigate to certain location, I sometimes initiate navigation while I drive and rather use the voice and it will automatically guide me of course, I am not sure if this is available.
    07-15-2013 07:17 PM
    Wasn't the previous update pulled due to stability problems? I am a fan of Nokia, too, but let's try to stay objective here.
    yes, some persons had troubles with download/installing the app, that's why it was pulled.. I've been using here drive+ since I've bought my 920, it always showed me the right way and never crashed, and nokia has fixed that problem in only a few days..
    07-15-2013 07:26 PM