07-25-2013 02:20 PM
53 123
tools
    I'm switching from my S4, preorder is in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    playergoodi likes this.
    07-18-2013 09:11 PM
    I'm not sexist but I often have bad feeling when I hear women talking about technology...
    Nothing before the word "but" matters.
    07-20-2013 02:31 PM
    Windows Phone has some major things they need to add/fix, but the experience is more consistent and enjoyable imho.

Android can do a lot more, there don't seem to be api limitations. On the other hand, this leads to a very very inconsistent experience.

Square reader doesn't work on my phone, Google Wallet can't be installed. Some widgets can be resized, some can't. Not every app has a widget, and the ones that do don't even tell me until I think about looking for them.

Honestly, WP will continue to be my most used OS until google can get these consistencies ironed out. Much like my car, my phone needs to be thoughtless every day, and I don't feel like i get that from android yet.
    07-20-2013 02:35 PM
    NO!

Windows Phone's music player does not even have a seek lever to quickly to go a position on a track, that's how bad it is.
    07-20-2013 03:45 PM
    NO!

Windows Phone's music player does not even have a seek lever to quickly to go a position on a track, that's how bad it is.
    All you need to do is hold the fast foward botton or rewind button to fast-forward or rewind through a track... And yes you should ditch the choppy *** Android OS for a far more elegant and cleaner OS.
    07-20-2013 04:03 PM
    NO!

So you have 10 posts, and they're all negative. Can you go back to the android forums, or wherever you crawled out of? You are judgemental and obnoxious.
    07-20-2013 06:20 PM
    NO!

I find it appropriate that your attitude on the forums is much like the attitude of Gaston-- your avatar. Arrogant and ignorant.

And btw, that's because you press and hold the FFWD button to scan ahead in a song.
    07-20-2013 07:12 PM
    I am leaving android for the first time for the 1020
    the only experience I have with a WP was in the store on the preorder day playing with a 920 display unit as I waited patiently for my name to be called.
    I have had an ipad and ipods, so im used to iOS (which i have always hated)
    I used to not like android, until 4.1 came out, since then it has been a very pleasant experience since.

I recently upgraded my pc to WIN 8 Pro, to become accustomed to it for various job reasons.
    WIN8PRO is awkward and there are a LOT of fine tuning that needs to occur, its very clunky, but rather neat with the tile screen if someone wishes to actually use it opposed to the normal tried and true desktop mode.

but I digress

So, for 14 days I will see if I can enjoy WP8 as well as the camera on the LUMIA 1020

if i find the camera is not worth it, i will return the device (i did not 2 a 2 yr contract)
    I do believe though that I will enjoy WP8.
    07-20-2013 08:48 PM
    I love the 1020, especially the camera (duh!), but I also love Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play (with my 20,000 tracks backed up there), and YouTube. I'd miss the customizability and all the custom ROMs if I left Android too. It's all preference and what apps you absolutely need at this point. One thing is certain, there is no better camera or even camera software on any Android, iOS, or Windows Phone device than the Nokia Lumia 1020. Only phones that rival the 1020 in imaging performance is the 808 and Honami and I haven't seen the Honami in action.
    07-20-2013 09:14 PM
    I love the 1020, especially the camera (duh!), but I also love Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play (with my 20,000 tracks backed up there), and YouTube. I'd miss the customizability and all the custom ROMs if I left Android too. It's all preference and what apps you absolutely need at this point. One thing is certain, there is no better camera or even camera software on any Android, iOS, or Windows Phone device than the Nokia Lumia 1020. Only phones that rival the 1020 in imaging performance is the 808 and Honami and I haven't seen the Honami in action.
    I used to be into flashing custom ROMs and tweaking, but one day I realized that I spent all that time doing it because something was always broken. Now I don't feel that way.

I do miss certain personalization settings, but not enough to go back to the chaos.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-21-2013 06:20 AM
    How can you even ask that?
    You could think about switching from iOS to WP but from android to wp there's no thinking, you just go straight to wp.
    Once you go iOS or Windows phone, you never lag back bro...
    07-21-2013 06:31 AM
    Yep I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back to android but I just miss the apps and all the things that android is known for(customization, setting up app folders, individual home screens with widgets, etc etc). Windows user for now :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-21-2013 12:16 PM
    Stock Android is far from laggy, I'd say the Google Play edition phones are just as quick as iOS. Now only if they didn't cost so much... If your an Android user that doesn't want to deal with flashing ROMS then I'd switch for sure. All the carrier bloatware and skins definitely bog the phone down. That being said, there are plenty of debloated stock ROMS that require minimal to no tweaking.
    07-21-2013 12:49 PM
    No, stick with Android.
    07-21-2013 01:19 PM
    Stick with android.... Wp is still a amateur platform..... Stick with android it has worlds largest app store and highly customizable....... U can go for wp after probably 2 years
    07-21-2013 01:23 PM
    This review sounds slightly snubbed, since there has been photos produced from the Nokia L1020. Anyone can see this phone produces way more detail than anything out besides the 808.

Detail to me is the most important part, since we all crop at so e point in time and want to keep crisp accurate detail. Add the ability for lossless zoom with no mechanical parts, this is a definite winner.

WP should be looked as a different ios, in the sense that it works incredibly well with lower specced hw. I would have said a resounding Yes in switching. Based on performance and camera quality/ability, the 1020 is as good as it gets for now.
    07-21-2013 01:32 PM
    Stick with android.... Wp is still a amateur platform..... Stick with android it has worlds largest app store and highly customizable....... U can go for wp after probably 2 years
    Erm your colours are well and truly showing there. 'an amateur platform' jog on.

WP8 is young but it is a great OS and where do you get your crystal ball that says it will be ready in 2 years?

I have 2 nexus devices and an ipod in this house my Lumia 925 is my daily driver. The Nexus 4 and 7 are great devices but for me the Nokia 1020 will be a great choice.
    07-21-2013 01:34 PM
    All you need to do is hold the fast foward botton or rewind button to fast-forward or rewind through a track... And yes you should ditch the choppy *** Android OS for a far more elegant and cleaner OS.
    Hahah, "All you need to do is hold the fast forward button", "All you need to do is compromise this and compromise that"

What if the track is long? You're going be holding that button for a long time, and it's much less precise than the lever.

Go with 1020 and I guarantee, you'll be bored within half and hour and wishing you went with Android.
    07-22-2013 03:23 AM
    I find it appropriate that your attitude on the forums is much like the attitude of Gaston-- your avatar. Arrogant and ignorant.

And btw, that's because you press and hold the FFWD button to scan ahead in a song.
    Gaston is the best character in Disney history.
    07-22-2013 03:24 AM
    I'm all for constructive criticism but I think you are just trying to force your views on to other people even though they're not correct. Ok, talking about music playback, let's talk about audio quality shall we?

I currently own the Lumia 920 and a pair of Shure SE535s. My music collection is lossless. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S4 briefly to see what the sound quality was like. I tried the stock player as well as several other apps (some of which I paid for). Let me tell you: the sound quality was absolutely awful! - the sound was distorted at high volume, even with the equalizer set to flat. The volume was too low - the S4 doesn't even have enough power to drive the SE535s! - it was so bad I actually felt it clouded the quality and enjoyment of the music so I actually stopped playback and didn't bother with it again. The music was very flat and tinny and was not worth my time.

The only sound device that I am currently aware of that matches the 920 in audio quality is the 3rd generation iPod Touch. Even then for that I had to use a third party app.

So why am I posting this in the 1020 forum? because I would imagine the audio quality to be the same in the 1020 as the 920, so it doesn't matter what device I mention. It just proves that the Galaxy S4 is awful when listening to music.

Nukey
    07-22-2013 03:59 AM
    Erm your colours are well and truly showing there. 'an amateur platform' jog on.

WP8 is young but it is a great OS and where do you get your crystal ball that says it will be ready in 2 years?

I have 2 nexus devices and an ipod in this house my Lumia 925 is my daily driver. The Nexus 4 and 7 are great devices but for me the Nokia 1020 will be a great choice.
    Windows app store is way behind play store and app store major apps like instagram,real racing3,all google apps are missing
    I'm a blogger and somtyms i feel frustrated to own a windows phone..... Then there is prblm of backward compatibility all android versions are backward compatible whereas in case of wp wp7.XX Users are left in dark even a basic game like temple run isn't available..... Only place where wp rules over android is fluidity,appearance,skype and other social hub integration and don't forget that android is open source so it is lot lot and lot more customizable
    07-22-2013 10:46 AM
    I'm all for constructive criticism but I think you are just trying to force your views on to other people even though they're not correct. Ok, talking about music playback, let's talk about audio quality shall we?

I currently own the Lumia 920 and a pair of Shure SE535s. My music collection is lossless. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S4 briefly to see what the sound quality was like. I tried the stock player as well as several other apps (some of which I paid for). Let me tell you: the sound quality was absolutely awful! - the sound was distorted at high volume, even with the equalizer set to flat. The volume was too low - the S4 doesn't even have enough power to drive the SE535s! - it was so bad I actually felt it clouded the quality and enjoyment of the music so I actually stopped playback and didn't bother with it again. The music was very flat and tinny and was not worth my time.

The only sound device that I am currently aware of that matches the 920 in audio quality is the 3rd generation iPod Touch. Even then for that I had to use a third party app.

So why am I posting this in the 1020 forum? because I would imagine the audio quality to be the same in the 1020 as the 920, so it doesn't matter what device I mention. It just proves that the Galaxy S4 is awful when listening to music.

Nukey
    True audio quality will never be achieved from any smartphone device. At least not now. Why people buy expensive headphones and use them on smartphones or ipods is beyond me. You need a portable high quality stand alone media player (there are few out there and not cheap) if you want true audio quality.

I'm a daily Android user but have a Lumia 920 and an iPad for work purposes. I love the build quality of Nokia devices and WP8 is a great operating system. My only reason for not switching is because I'm highly invested in the Google (Cloud) Ecosystem. I currently have my whole music library stored in google music, files in google drive and photos in Google+ (picasa). After trying to use WP8 as my daily driver it turns out that the lack of multi-tasking and poor caching is what really killed it for me. For example, I stream through google music and as it caches my songs it never cuts out when my train hits the tunel and looses connection. When I tried this on WP8 my music stops playing almost instantly when connection is lost and I've tried multiple music players that can access google music that offer a cached option. I don't want to store my music locally as it will take up a lot of storage. I like that photos taken will auto sync to skydrive so that way I can remove them from the local storage. I use googe hangouts (google talk) a lot and even though I've found a google talk replacement app, I've yet to find one that is compatible with group hangouts. If anyone knows of one please let me know. WP8 is of course great with office documents especially viewing PowerPoint files. I just don't like that it lacks the true auto sync or background multi-tasking that Android has to offer. This was also a big draw back for me on iOS but iOS has it's own set of issues that I can't deal with also. iOS 7 will hopefully remede this to a better experience. I do understand that the true background sync and multi-tasking pays a price of lower battery performance but I have yet to find myself out of juice by the end of a busy work day. Hopefully, this can help others who are thinking about the switch from Android to WP8. BTW, I can't wait to recieve the 1020. I will be using it as my point and shoot camera and to auto save my photos to the cloud to access on all my other devices.

Yes, Android has it's flaws as do all OSs but do the benefits truely out weigh them. For Android it does.
    Last edited by strikeIII; 07-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    07-23-2013 11:39 AM
    1.5 million Android devices are activated everyday!
    07-23-2013 12:06 PM
    To clarify: I am not asking this question. I am a satisfied and enthousiastic WP user, and like most of you, slowly converting everyone around me.

But with 70% or whatever of the smartphone world running Android, I think there's a lot of people who are asking this. Or at least we should hope there are, right? So I always like to see a review that gives Windows Phone a fair judgement. Especially one like this, that I can image would appeal to non-savvy users. They didn't do the Lumia enough justice, I agree, but I do think their outline of the main advantages and disadvantages of the operating systems was fair.

I know we here would all like to see WP come out on top in every review, but this is a positive development right?? :) At least we're somewhat passed the 'not enough apps' thing...
    07-25-2013 10:11 AM
    I think at this point i'm more nitpicking between the three mobile operating systems. They all do what I want them to do, just in a different way.
    I'm really not, though. I love having Xbox-enabled gaming and Achievements, along with the Games hub itself. I like the change from the desktop-style icon grid. I like having the Zune UI for the music player, along with a music player that doesn't crash (like my Android one often did). some of what I mentioned (price, which fluctuates, and wireless charging) are minor things that wouldn't have ultimately taken me away from Android to windows Phone alone, but they're still positives for the device I chose (920).
    07-25-2013 12:40 PM
53 123