Should I ditch Android for Nokia's Lumia 1020?

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hm. I searched apps using the website version (on chrome) and was not finding HBO Go, if its there thats fantastic. That's unfortunate about MightyText, its incredibly convenient to be able to answer texts from your laptop. My big issue is i'll have a Macbook Air, Nexus 7, and Lumia 1020. It's going to be terribly difficult to keep these devices synced up together. Its a shame that Google doesn't have all their services on WP, like they do on iOS. I do love most operating systems for both their pros and cons, which puts me in a dilemma. I don't want to give any of them up =P.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Yes, it is a shame. A casualty of corporate "warfare".

The way you use operating systems is how we should be able to use them. However, I fear that will become ever more difficult going forward. I never liked Apple's products, so I never had that problem. I was once a huge supporter of Google, but that has changed in the last few years (for reasons I won't bore you with), so now I'm almost completely Google free. MetroTube (a great youtube client) and Google search are the only two Google services I still use from my WP device.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy your L1020! I know I would.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hm. I searched apps using the website version (on chrome) and was not finding HBO Go, if its there thats fantastic. That's unfortunate about MightyText, its incredibly convenient to be able to answer texts from your laptop. My big issue is i'll have a Macbook Air, Nexus 7, and Lumia 1020. It's going to be terribly difficult to keep these devices synced up together. Its a shame that Google doesn't have all their services on WP, like they do on iOS. I do love most operating systems for both their pros and cons, which puts me in a dilemma. I don't want to give any of them up =P.

Should be fine using SkyDrive to sync. They actually support all those device platforms.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Who knows. If you are already on Android, there's no compelling reason to come to WP. The only real selling point of the Lumia 1020 is the camera. If you can really appreciate the 41MP camera, which most people can't. Otherwise you will be saddled with an EXPENSIVE and chunky phone and all the problems associated with WP. There's a reason why Android overtook iOS and is powering over 70% of the smartphones in the world.

100% disagree. I switched from Android after two years, and I can list several reasons why I switched to the 920 over a Galaxy S III:

1. Camera quality: The Galaxy S III is pitiful in low-light, and I like that Windows Phone devices have dedicated camera buttons. Though I'm not big on pictures, the camera experience on Windows Phone is better than on Android.
2. Music: The built-in music player on Android (my HTC Droid Incredible) was horrid, and had a tendency to crash when switching artists.
3. Storage: Though there is no microSD slot in the 920, the 32 GB of built-in storage was a big selling point for me. Not having to buy additional memory to get by is nice.
4. Wireless Charging: It's extremely convenient for me, as I have the plate on my desktop case next to my bed, so I come home, set the phone down, and it charges. I'm anti-wireless stuff, so I have wires for my mouse, keyboard, external HDD, charger(s), Xbox 360 Play & Charge, and 2 Xbox 360 controllers I use for emulators on the PC. Having the wireless charger prevents losing the charging cable amongst my other wires, preventing the annoying untangling and fumbling about.
5. Price: $50 (and a free wireless charger, which was $50 itself) for the 920 for $200 for the Galaxy S III (at the time)? There was no comparison.
6. UI: This is a personal preference issue, but if you love the UI on WP (compared to the static grids on iOS and Android), it's a reason to switch.
7. Games hub: Not having to look for my games through several app pages or an app drawer grid of icons with my other apps is nice, since most of what I do on my phone is play games. That dedicated section is nice.
8. Xbox gaming: I'm a little bit of an Achievement *****, and those Xbox LIVE Achievements add some replay value to my games.

Anyway, point being, it's a stretch to say what you did. There are more than just those 8 main points to support my decision, but we all have preferences. There are quite a few decent features Windows Phone offers for folks over Android, in my opinion, and those are 8 that mattered for me.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
100% disagree. I switched from Android after two years, and I can list several reasons why I switched to the 920 over a Galaxy S III:

1. Camera quality: The Galaxy S III is pitiful in low-light, and I like that Windows Phone devices have dedicated camera buttons. Though I'm not big on pictures, the camera experience on Windows Phone is better than on Android.
2. Music: The built-in music player on Android (my HTC Droid Incredible) was horrid, and had a tendency to crash when switching artists.
3. Storage: Though there is no microSD slot in the 920, the 32 GB of built-in storage was a big selling point for me. Not having to buy additional memory to get by is nice.
4. Wireless Charging: It's extremely convenient for me, as I have the plate on my desktop case next to my bed, so I come home, set the phone down, and it charges. I'm anti-wireless stuff, so I have wires for my mouse, keyboard, external HDD, charger(s), Xbox 360 Play & Charge, and 2 Xbox 360 controllers I use for emulators on the PC. Having the wireless charger prevents losing the charging cable amongst my other wires, preventing the annoying untangling and fumbling about.
5. Price: $50 (and a free wireless charger, which was $50 itself) for the 920 for $200 for the Galaxy S III (at the time)? There was no comparison.
6. UI: This is a personal preference issue, but if you love the UI on WP (compared to the static grids on iOS and Android), it's a reason to switch.
7. Games hub: Not having to look for my games through several app pages or an app drawer grid of icons with my other apps is nice, since most of what I do on my phone is play games. That dedicated section is nice.
8. Xbox gaming: I'm a little bit of an Achievement *****, and those Xbox LIVE Achievements add some replay value to my games.

Anyway, point being, it's a stretch to say what you did. There are more than just those 8 main points to support my decision, but we all have preferences. There are quite a few decent features Windows Phone offers for folks over Android, in my opinion, and those are 8 that mattered for me.

I think at this point i'm more nitpicking between the three mobile operating systems. They all do what I want them to do, just in a different way.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone has some major things they need to add/fix, but the experience is more consistent and enjoyable imho.

Android can do a lot more, there don't seem to be api limitations. On the other hand, this leads to a very very inconsistent experience.

Square reader doesn't work on my phone, Google Wallet can't be installed. Some widgets can be resized, some can't. Not every app has a widget, and the ones that do don't even tell me until I think about looking for them.

Honestly, WP will continue to be my most used OS until google can get these consistencies ironed out. Much like my car, my phone needs to be thoughtless every day, and I don't feel like i get that from android yet.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
NO!

Windows Phone's music player does not even have a seek lever to quickly to go a position on a track, that's how bad it is.

playergoodi

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
NO!

Windows Phone's music player does not even have a seek lever to quickly to go a position on a track, that's how bad it is.

All you need to do is hold the fast foward botton or rewind button to fast-forward or rewind through a track... And yes you should ditch the choppy *** Android OS for a far more elegant and cleaner OS.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
NO!

So you have 10 posts, and they're all negative. Can you go back to the android forums, or wherever you crawled out of? You are judgemental and obnoxious.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I am leaving android for the first time for the 1020
the only experience I have with a WP was in the store on the preorder day playing with a 920 display unit as I waited patiently for my name to be called.
I have had an ipad and ipods, so im used to iOS (which i have always hated)
I used to not like android, until 4.1 came out, since then it has been a very pleasant experience since.

I recently upgraded my pc to WIN 8 Pro, to become accustomed to it for various job reasons.
WIN8PRO is awkward and there are a LOT of fine tuning that needs to occur, its very clunky, but rather neat with the tile screen if someone wishes to actually use it opposed to the normal tried and true desktop mode.

but I digress

So, for 14 days I will see if I can enjoy WP8 as well as the camera on the LUMIA 1020

if i find the camera is not worth it, i will return the device (i did not 2 a 2 yr contract)
I do believe though that I will enjoy WP8.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I love the 1020, especially the camera (duh!), but I also love Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play (with my 20,000 tracks backed up there), and YouTube. I'd miss the customizability and all the custom ROMs if I left Android too. It's all preference and what apps you absolutely need at this point. One thing is certain, there is no better camera or even camera software on any Android, iOS, or Windows Phone device than the Nokia Lumia 1020. Only phones that rival the 1020 in imaging performance is the 808 and Honami and I haven't seen the Honami in action.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the 1020, especially the camera (duh!), but I also love Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play (with my 20,000 tracks backed up there), and YouTube. I'd miss the customizability and all the custom ROMs if I left Android too. It's all preference and what apps you absolutely need at this point. One thing is certain, there is no better camera or even camera software on any Android, iOS, or Windows Phone device than the Nokia Lumia 1020. Only phones that rival the 1020 in imaging performance is the 808 and Honami and I haven't seen the Honami in action.

I used to be into flashing custom ROMs and tweaking, but one day I realized that I spent all that time doing it because something was always broken. Now I don't feel that way.

I do miss certain personalization settings, but not enough to go back to the chaos.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
How can you even ask that?
You could think about switching from iOS to WP but from android to wp there's no thinking, you just go straight to wp.
Once you go iOS or Windows phone, you never lag back bro...

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back to android but I just miss the apps and all the things that android is known for(customization, setting up app folders, individual home screens with widgets, etc etc). Windows user for now :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Stock Android is far from laggy, I'd say the Google Play edition phones are just as quick as iOS. Now only if they didn't cost so much... If your an Android user that doesn't want to deal with flashing ROMS then I'd switch for sure. All the carrier bloatware and skins definitely bog the phone down. That being said, there are plenty of debloated stock ROMS that require minimal to no tweaking.

Anidh Singh

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Stick with android.... Wp is still a amateur platform..... Stick with android it has worlds largest app store and highly customizable....... U can go for wp after probably 2 years

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb