Unlocked 1020 from Negri Electronics?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I ordered through Negri and a flash message popped up stating the order would ship "around July 30"

I am also a T-Mobile customer living in Los Angeles, so looking forward to seeing if the thing will hook onto an LTE signal.

Can't wait!

Anyone know where online I can buy the camera grip? Between AT&T, MS Store, BestBuy and Negri of course, I can't seem to find a live link for preordering..

jaytee0401

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
Could anyone shed some light on this? If I were to purchase an unlocked 1020 and use it on Tmobile, will I have the "wifi calling" feature? TIA

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Could anyone shed some light on this? If I were to purchase an unlocked 1020 and use it on Tmobile, will I have the "wifi calling" feature? TIA

I don't know for absolute sure, but I would be very surprised if wifi calling was available as I'm pretty certain that it requires fairly deep integration with the firmware and thus would need to be t-mobile specific code. At least, that's been the case in the past...it's possible that microsoft has been able to abstract the integration via it's VOIP API hooks so that it would only need to be an app (similar to Skype's integration). But I wouldn't hold my breath on that :p

jaytee0401

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
I don't know for absolute sure, but I would be very surprised if wifi calling was available as I'm pretty certain that it requires fairly deep integration with the firmware and thus would need to be t-mobile specific code. At least, that's been the case in the past...it's possible that microsoft has been able to abstract the integration via it's VOIP API hooks so that it would only need to be an app (similar to Skype's integration). But I wouldn't hold my breath on that :p

Thanks for your answer. I actually got off the phone with T-Mo sales and he said the wifi calling feature would work. I asked him how exactly and he wasn't sure. So, I guess it's 50/50 chance. Maybe someone here can shed some light if they're planning to get the unlocked Lumia 1020 for their T-Mobile plan...please chime in! Thanks.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. I actually got off the phone with T-Mo sales and he said the wifi calling feature would work. I asked him how exactly and he wasn't sure. So, I guess it's 50/50 chance. Maybe someone here can shed some light if they're planning to get the unlocked Lumia 1020 for their T-Mobile plan...please chime in! Thanks.

I'm on T-mobile and I plan on picking up a 1020...though I'm not sure if I'll get the AT&T version or wait for the european 64GB one to become available. If the wifi calling issue was do-able with a non-tmobile-specific model, I would expect there to be examples of 820's and 920's that worked at this point...especially with folks like XDA on the case. It's not even available on t-mobile's own 810. So, either the API hooks aren't there for easy integration via app or T-mobile just hasn't done the work to make it happen yet. Either way...I'm not encouraged and I'm not making my purchase decision with the assumption of wifi calling working in mind.

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Will it work in middle east and India

2G and 3G (including HSPA) ... yes depending on provider as the 900, 1800, and 2100 bands that India uses are supported by the phone per the specs listed.
4G LTE...no. India's standard band for LTE is 2300 Mhz which is not supported on the AT&T model.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Still showing as 7/30. I chatted with their support yesterday asking if the date was earlier due to AT&T already shipping, but the guy there said it's still at 7/30.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
FYI I'd be wary of ordering from Negri. About a month ago I placed an order for an unlocked US T-Mobile BlackBerry Z10. The next day I received an email from them saying I needed to read and agree to a section of their terms of service before they would ship the phone. I've included it below but basically it says the IMEI on the phones they sell can be blacklisted by T-Mobile/AT&T at any point after they initially test it. It sounds like they are purchasing "grey market" phones and don't have an official source. If your phone does get blacklisted you can only return it to Negri in the first 25 days.

2.6RESTRICTED IMEI
2.6.1IMEI restriction occurs when a wireless provider prohibits a device from accessing its network. Carriers describe these devices as stolen, when in fact they are devices purchased through the carrier's subsidy model and bundled with a wireless service contract that has been terminated, voided, or abandoned before the end of the stated contract period.
2.6.2Carrier branded devices sold by Negri Electronics are tested before shipping to verify the IMEI's unrestricted status. However, a carrier may choose to restrict an IMEI of any branded device at any time. For that reason, the unrestricted status can only be verified at the time of shipment.
2.6.3Devices discovered to hold a restricted IMEI upon or after delivery will be subject to the standard Return and Buy Back Policy with the following exceptions: (*This is not an amendment to the standard return policy, but rather an effort made in good faith to help customers that are victim to an unfortunate situation caused by their carrier, to be handled on an individual and case by case basis. Update: 12/2012)
2.6.3.1Any customer wishing to return a device with a restricted IMEI that was purchased through Negri Electronics will be given special consideration and/or priority in processing an exchange, so long as the 25 day return policy has not expired and/or the device is in like new condition.*
2.6.3.2Any devices with a restricted IMEI that was purchased from Negri Electronics that is being offered through the Buy-Back policy will be given special consideration and proposed a buy-back offer that ignores the current restricted status of the device.*
2.6.4Customers choosing to purchase carrier branded devices are considered to be aware of the circumstances and risks associated with purchasing a carrier branded device with the intent to use that device on the carrier's network. It is important to note that IMEI restrictions do not affect the device's ability to be used on other domestic networks or any international network.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
FYI I'd be wary of ordering from Negri. About a month ago I placed an order for an unlocked US T-Mobile BlackBerry Z10. The next day I received an email from them saying I needed to read and agree to a section of their terms of service before they would ship the phone. I've included it below but basically it says the IMEI on the phones they sell can be blacklisted by T-Mobile/AT&T at any point after they initially test it. It sounds like they are purchasing "grey market" phones and don't have an official source. If your phone does get blacklisted you can only return it to Negri in the first 25 days.

Thanks very much for posting this!!

I have never used Negri before, so this inspired me to do a bit of research.

I looked them up on the Better Business Bureau, Reseller Ratings and Ripoff report.

After this and reading through your post, I have decided to let my preorder remain active - I am a T-Mobile user by the way.

Every company gets some complaints. On resellerratings, Negri seemed to be pretty good about responding in detail to most of them. Also, some of the complaints were pretty bizarre to begin with.

What I noticed was that almost none of the complaints dealt with having phones lock up with restricted IMEI. The only one I could find had some confusion in that the author tried to return something with a cracked screen while claiming the IMEI was also locked. But from scanning all of the reviews, the vast majority were positive.

This leads me to believe that the disclaimer from Negri you published is a cover-your-a$$ maneuver to give them some legal protection. It doesn't seem like there are any problems with these occurring though..

If anyone else has further info, I'd love to read - please post!!

Backup plan - if this thing with Negri falls apart or if the phone won't work with T-Mobile in spite of my being in a strong LTE area, I'll return it then pick up a 925 phone. I would rather have the oversampling and larger storage, but the 925 is getting some amazing reviews including the camera.. In that case I'd still keep my 808 for special shootings. Otherwise if everything works out, I'm planning on selling the 808 to recoup some of the 1020 expense..

Last edited:

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I trust Negri. They have been excellent with the two phones I bought. But they were factory unlocked. I can stand to wait a couple more weeks for the factory unlocked version. Then I won't have to worry at all, and I wont have an ugly-*** ATT logo on my phone.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I trust Negri. They have been excellent with the two phones I bought. But they were factory unlocked. I can stand to wait a couple more weeks for the factory unlocked version. Then I won't have to worry at all, and I wont have an ugly-*** ATT logo on my phone.

The phones they currently are selling are AT&T unlocked phones so they will have an AT&T logo and come in an AT&T box. You likely won't see unbranded phones until 6 months after tomorrow.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The phones they currently are selling are AT&T unlocked phones so they will have an AT&T logo and come in an AT&T box. You likely won't see unbranded phones until 6 months after tomorrow.

There's no international version of the 1020? The unlocked 925 and 920 came out within a week or two of the carrier models. Clove already has it up with pricing TBD.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
There's no international version of the 1020? The unlocked 925 and 920 came out within a week or two of the carrier models. Clove already has it up with pricing TBD.

I just chatted with Francisco at Negri; 1020 is unlocked AT&T and will definitely have the AT&T logo printed on it.

I think the only International version is the one that has the European bandwidths that won't work with US or Canadian based carriers, but will have 64GB internal.

The one Negri is selling on preorders is AT&T 32GB memory and USA compatible bandwidths..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not clear if the att exclusivity is for the whole of NA or just the US but without any real news that Rogers or any other Canadian carrier is picking this up the att version may be the best bet for an unlocked version for the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99