MS Store Lumia 1020 Pre-orders

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got off a CHAT support session with MS, they state they don't have the phone, and are scheduled to receive them tomorrow. They will ship once received. This is pretty upsetting.

Meaning, if they don't get the phones tomorrow, they don't ship. And if they do, they ship tomorrow, so in that case we won't receive the phone until the following week. #MicrosoftDropsBall

Microsoft didn't do anything wrong, other than farming out their cell phone sales through simplexity.

Honestly though, if you can't wait, cancel and take your chances tomorrow am. Unfortunately I work a 8-5:30 job and don't get home until after 7pm, so I don't have the option to go to a store. And I want the free camera grip. Im sure that's why most of us are willing to wait. We will all be happy campers come Monday.

elRamiro10

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey navidee, appreciate that, get your point. I own a business and if I promise my customers a date of deliver, I'm expected to deliver. MS is not a small lil company that if their partners or channels come through, we just say "oh well, it's not their fault" c'mon.

MS promised phones on Launch date, they should have worked everything out with simplexity or Nokia. Nokia is their loyal WP partners for godsake! MS should have been the 1st to get the phones. AT&T shipped their phones out today, to be received tomorrow. It's not about "can't wait" (I'm not 5 years old) or I should have gone through AT&T. ;-)

You would expect MS to be more on the ball when it comes to Windows Phones, I'm a loyal WP user and MS guy, but their lack of coming through lately is disappointing. This is the 1st time I shop through MS/MS Store and it's sad.

- Loyal WP Fan since Windows Mobile! =)

elRamiro10

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey Jmerrey, I spoke to MS "rep" (higher than just a little rep) and they stated they would ship early too. But didn't want to put it in writing because of the issue they just ran into. They covered their as$es, but still disappointing.

I get your point tho, but word is they still don't have the phones yet, think about that. =)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Release date is tomorrow. It's been clearly stated from the beginning that MS would ship them on release date. AT&T clearly stated they would ship them early.
Exactly. No ball dropped here, and we save ~$115 for our patience in the way of no sales tax, free overnight shipping, and a free camera grip. I can live with that.

Nothing wrong with canceling the order and running into a store if you want it quicker though.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
MS promised phones on Launch date, they should have worked everything out with simplexity or Nokia. Nokia is their loyal WP partners for godsake! MS should have been the 1st to get the phones. AT&T shipped their phones out today, to be received tomorrow. It's not about "can't wait" (I'm not 5 years old) or I should have gone through AT&T. ;-)

You would expect MS to be more on the ball when it comes to Windows Phones, I'm a loyal WP user and MS guy, but their lack of coming through lately is disappointing. This is the 1st time I shop through MS/MS Store and it's sad.

They committed to ship on launch date. I never got any promise beyond that.

I've ordered plenty from them in the past and always get great results. In fact, I preordered a Surface Pro and got it a day early.

nighthikr24

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Just an update from me. I preordered my 1020 on the 18th and came home tonight to find I finally got 3 green check marks and a red exclamation point. Now here's to hoping it ships tomorrow.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just an update from me. I preordered my 1020 on the 18th and came home tonight to find I finally got 3 green check marks and a red exclamation point. Now here's to hoping it ships tomorrow.

I ordered on the 17th and now have all but shipped as well, so I'm confident it will ship tonight or tomorrow. I'm a happy camper.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

oh that's a plus. Keeping my fingers crossed that mine ships tomorrow too.

elRamiro10

May 7, 2013
Visit site
They committed to ship on launch date. I never got any promise beyond that.

I've ordered plenty from them in the past and always get great results. In fact, I preordered a Surface Pro and got it a day early.

Thanks GoodThings... HOpe they do come through...

Funny I'm usually defending MS, but I still think they dropped the ball.

Jeff Schaub

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of us hoped MS would ship early, same as AT&T, but it was a gamble. However, it was a gamble that paid off either way since you get the free grip and no sales tax. Is it worth it? I dunno, tomorrow will be hard to not want to cancel my order and head straight to AT&T to buy one. But come Monday when I also have a free camera grip I'll be glad I waited.

Two points to make:
1) What perplexes me is why does AT&T get their supply that much in advance of MS? Should service provider come before the platform/OS owner? In this case I think they probably got it backwards.

2) If no one from AT&T got their phones until Monday, would anyone who ordered from MS even be upset? :) Not pointing the finger, caues I've thought the same thing, but seems like a case of "that's not fair!"

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just got off the phone with my local AT&T store. They have the 1020's in, but can't sell them until tomorrow. They put a yellow one under the desk for me, so I cancelled my MS order. I'm sure they'll be shipped tomorrow, but I honestly don't want to wait. The camera grip isn't that important.

Good luck to all the ones who ordered from MS!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
1) What perplexes me is why does AT&T get their supply that much in advance of MS? Should service provider come before the platform/OS owner? In this case I think they probably got it backwards.

The aggravating thing here is the same frustration I have regarding the software updates... at some point in time, Microsoft needs to put customers ahead of carriers. There's a reason why AT&T is the most hated company in the US, and Microsoft needs to find a way to better balance the relationship between them, customers and carriers. My personal suggestion is that they decouple all the "hubs, apps, and settings modules" from the core OS so that they can be updated via WP Store on a more regular basis. Obviously Nokia is able to release various Settings module updates, and so can Microsoft. If they did it this way, they can push out updates as apps more often, and they don't need to be carrier tested because they don't impact the hardware compatibility or radio operations.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
The aggravating thing here is the same frustration I have regarding the software updates... at some point in time, Microsoft needs to put customers ahead of carriers. There's a reason why AT&T is the most hated company in the US, and Microsoft needs to find a way to better balance the relationship between them, customers and carriers. My personal suggestion is that they decouple all the "hubs, apps, and settings modules" from the core OS so that they can be updated via WP Store on a more regular basis. Obviously Nokia is able to release various Settings module updates, and so can Microsoft. If they did it this way, they can push out updates as apps more often, and they don't need to be carrier tested because they don't impact the hardware compatibility or radio operations.

well, with the whole MS reorganization...I wouldn't count anything out. -Even though Terry Myerson is still in charge, I'm sure more pressure will accrue on the WP development team to get things done faster and/or change to keep up with Windows development.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, I just got off the phone with my local AT&T store. They have the 1020's in, but can't sell them until tomorrow. They put a yellow one under the desk for me, so I cancelled my MS order. I'm sure they'll be shipped tomorrow, but I honestly don't want to wait. The camera grip isn't that important.

Good luck to all the ones who ordered from MS!

Sad face. Us few that ordered through MS have been like family these last few days/weeks. lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss