MS Store Lumia 1020 Pre-orders

jdl440

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I went to the physical MS Store and got the grip, $50 MS store card, and $10 app store card for both yellow and white. The only issue is they didn't have the grip in Yellow, so I got a black one instead. They also had the black wireless charging cases, but I decided to pass for now.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Worst part is that the MS Store website says nothing about them not being in stock either. I feel for all the people that ordered over the weekend hoping to get their devices this week. If preorders haven't shipped, these people will be waiting another two weeks lol.

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks... I am so frustrated and can't help but feel that this whole launch "shortage" is fabricated. I pre-ordered on the morning of the 18th online at Microsoft Store and it is still out of stock. I live in the metro NY area and the phone is pretty widely available at AT&T and local MS stores that I have called. I didn't realize that by pre-ordering I was actually putting myself at the BACK of the line since anyone can walk into a store and pick up the device at will. My money has been held at the Microsoft Online Store with Simplexity and they have not been able to give me any confidence that the order will be shipped anytime soon.

Here is the online chat since I have been unable to reach anyone there by phone. I tried to be as respectful as possible, but they just keep evading any answers.

[MS Store] : Hi, I'd be happy to help you today. For security reasons, could you please provide the last 4 digits of your SSN?

[Me]: Sure, ####

[MS Store] : Thank you for the verification. It will just take a minute or two for me to review your order information.

[Me]: Thanks!

[MS Store] : You are welcome.

[MS Store] : Thank you for your patience.

[MS Store] : I see that the order is being processed; however, the requested phone models Nokia Lumia 1020 White and Yellow are not available in our stock now.

[MS Store] : Unfortunately, we do not have any exact stock availability date of the phones yet.

[Me]: I know you guys must be swamped with activity, but have not received any info on my order from the 18th. The Lumia #### is available at nearly every AT&T store in my area.

[MS Store] : I understand that and apologize for the delay.

[MS Store] : Please allow us 24 hours for further update regarding the stock availability.

[Me]: Please help me understand... I pre-ordered and the money was taken from my account already. People who did NOT pre-order are able to pick them up locally... yet I still do not have any information on when you will receive stock or when it will even ship>

[MS Store] : I completely understand your concern; however, we are still waiting for the stock availability from the manufacturer.

[MS Store] : Once the stock will be available, we will process the order on priority basis.

[Me]: I get that... but you are representing Microsoft. What is the purpose of pre-ordering and paying in advance if I end up at the BACK of the line because the devices are available locally?

[MS Store] : I can imagine how disappointed you are; however, there is many pre-orders we are expecting the stock soon for the phones.

[MS Store] : Please allow us 24 hours for further stock availability.

[MS Store] : Is there anything else I can help you with?

[Me]: Respectfully... "soon" is very subjective and does not make me feel good about this whole experience. I can't help but feel that my order is not important to Microsoft. And I am missing any opportunity to get the phone because you are holding my money.

[MS Store] : I am sorry to hear that you feel that way; however, you are a valuable customer for us.

[MS Store] : The wireless device you ordered are extremely popular. We have been notified that we will be receiving a shipment of these phones but at this time we do not have a firm shipping date. If you prefer not to wait, we would be happy to change your phone to a different model that is in-stock so that we can expedite your order.

[Me]: Understood, but that is not really fair. You sold me on a pre-order that is actually quite widely available in stores locally. I paid in advance to be put ahead of the line on the launch, and I am in the back. Help me understand what I paid for exactly?

[MS Store] : I do agree with you; however, we are offering the phones in cheaper price than a store and once the stock will be available we will process the order.

[MS Store] : Is there anything else I can do for you today?

[Me]: How so? I am paying $### with Microsoft like I would be at AT&T?

[MS Store] : I understand that; however, our prices are cheaper than a store.

[Me]: What is cheaper if it is the same price?

[MS Store] : That might be same; however, once the phones will be in our stock we will be able to process the order.

[Me]: So you agree that the price is the same, shipment is slower than picking up locally, and you can't provide me with any timeframe on stock or delivery?

[MS Store] : I do not mean I am agree, the price might be same at a store; however, we always offer better deal than a store provides.

[Me]: By placing a pre-order, I have missed the opportunity to pick up locally on the launch date and you can still not let me know any timeframe for delivery. What is so much better about this deal?

[MS Store] : I understand that and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you so far.

[MS Store] : Please check the stock availability after 24 hours regarding the phone models.

[MS Store] : Is there anything else I can help you with?

[Me]:
[MS Store], this whole experience has turned me off nearly entirely from Microsoft and most specifically Simplexity. What frustrates me is the lack of communication and a missed opportunity of having the product that I paid for in hand if I picked it up locally.

[MS Store] : We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced, and we will do our best to rectify the situation immediately.

[Me]: Unfortunately your company hasn't given me any faith that it can or will. This is a shame, and I am sorry that you have to handle this problem on the front line for them.

[MS Store] : I can imagine hour frustrating this is and we will do our best to rectify the issue.

[MS Store] : Is there anything else I can do for you today?

[Me]: If you can ship my order, that would be delightful. But otherwise, not at this time. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Take care...

Alan Lai

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I heard from a customer rep that orders from the Microsoft Online has had problems with the warehouse distribution center that ships them. The representative I spoke with apologized and said they should all be shipping out tomorrow (7/30).

Just an FYI for those of you that are still waiting for your online orders.

Last edited:

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the update, Alan... but unfortunately this is yet another WP phone launch where PRE-ORDER = BACK OF THE LINE.

The devices are available locally, so we are probably getting played so that we can trump up the noise/demand/shortages about the device. I am happy to play a part in promoting the phone, but yet again this is a release that leaves me feeling bitter.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I heard from a customer rep that orders from the Microsoft Online has had a problem with the warehouse distribution center that ships them. The representative I spoke with apologized and said they should all be shipping out tomorrow (7/30).

See these are the kind of answers i would have been happy with with this morning instead of I don't know.

Thanks Alan,

Alan Lai

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was told to call the 877 number to microsoft tomorrow to check again.

Has anyone else had the problem where they called into Microsoft and gave them their preorder # but them not have any record of it? Only the online cat people seem to have records of my order.

tpperlman

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sigh. Thinking about just cancelling my order and staying with my 920 until Nokia's next flagship is released.

Same boat... are you thinking about holding out or switch carriers too? The T-Mobile UP plan sounds much better than AT&T's Next. Haven't much explored Verizon's version yet...

paoto

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
All this waiting has made me realize I can wait a few more months for the price to drop. I am pre-ordered to buy the 1020 off contract. I assumed at the worst I would get the phone today, since the device was planned to be released on Friday and we have next business day shipping. The free camera grip is a nice incentive, but I hope in 2-4 months the price will drop by at least $200 off-contract.
I've decided if it doesn't ship tonight I will cancel my order and wait a few months.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
All this waiting has made me realize I can wait a few more months for the price to drop. I am pre-ordered to buy the 1020 off contract. I assumed at the worst I would get the phone today, since the device was planned to be released on Friday and we have next business day shipping. The free camera grip is a nice incentive, but I hope in 2-4 months the price will drop by at least $200 off-contract.
I've decided if it doesn't ship tonight I will cancel my order and wait a few months.

920 still fetch ~$350 on eBay since it was released and still $474.99 on AT&T. It's going to take a long while.

Alan Lai

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The only thing is I want a 64gb version of the phone... But i'll keep the 32gb unlocked and sell it on ebay when the 64gb releases and switch to that.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
"I apologize for the late response. We were unable to respond to your e-mail due to backlog in e-mails. The requested phone model is high in demand, that is why the hold is from the manufacturer's side. We are just waiting for the inventory in our stock. Once it becomes available in our stock, we will process the order further accordingly. I would request you please contact us back after 24 hours to get an updates on the order through the chat session."

krystea

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Same boat... are you thinking about holding out or switch carriers too? The T-Mobile UP plan sounds much better than AT&T's Next. Haven't much explored Verizon's version yet...

I don't have any reason to switch so I'll be staying with AT&T. I think that AT&T's Next is a huge rip-off (haven't looked into T-Mobile's Jump), and I often find myself needing my old phones anyway, so I'll be keeping it old school with my upgrades for now.

mixxxk

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue, I called, and it seemed like they had no idea what o was talking about. Then I gave the rep mu order number and had him submit, and then he saw all the info.

Yeah, I was told to call the 877 number to microsoft tomorrow to check again.

Has anyone else had the problem where they called into Microsoft and gave them their preorder # but them not have any record of it? Only the online cat people seem to have records of my order.

Last edited by a moderator:

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well another day of the same. Im holding out til Wednesday, then im cancelling. I may even wait now til a price drop. Amazing how this whole ordeal has soured my experience.

AllanUSC

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting!! As of now I still have a red ! in "Shipped."

Over the weekend I called the MS Store online sales department, acting as a new customer, and asked about the Lumia 1020. I was cheerfully told that the phone was in stock and, if I ordered Saturday, it would be shipped Monday.

Of course this excited me but when I called the customer service line and entered my order number, I got a message saying "Sorry I can't continue the call right now. Please call back again."
I thought that they might be closed for the weekend but when I called again today, I heard the same message.

Why is the sales department STILL telling callers that the Lumia 1020 is in stock?!

I'd like to try chat support, even though they don't seem any better. How do I access chat support on the site?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs