Nokia Rich Recording?

alpha10

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so Lumia 1020 has Nokia Rich Recording, but does that mean something else other HAAC and stereo sound?

Does this mean that the other phones that has HAAC microphones also gets stereo sound when the new update is available, and/or is that sound quality better on the Lumia 1020 than the 925 when 925 gets stereo sound?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Nokia have said that the 92x series will get stereo HAAC recording, and 'Rich Recording' is the marketing jargon for stereo HAAC recording - nothing that the current 92x can't do once we have stereo, too.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically, everything in the Lumia x2x line can record stereo (save for the 52x), but Nokia chose to support stereo audio recording on the 92x line.
If Nokia didn't do so, I'd go and buy an 808 in protest :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They actually improved it further from the 808 .. there seems to be two audio recording modes you can choose from, one is more for general purposes, and the other for windy environments. Its all in the white paper they published.

I still can't find @ what bitrate they are recording tho.. the 808 records @ 256kbps/stereo

Also, that comp they made with the 1020 and the two competitor phones is not representative of the difference. They needed to introduce a lower frequency.. that is when the HAAC mics shine.

I did a comp b/w my iPhone and my 808... the difference is very obvious. The iphone records @ 100kbps mono..

YdCdh.jpg

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems like Nokia pro Camera features these settings on Lumia 1020 for Rich Recording. Very cool. So far Nokia 808 PureView has remained the king on audio recording, but Lumia 1020 seems to take that place.

Default: This works especially well in loud environments, such as concerts, but this default option provides balanced and natural sound from almost any recording situation, no matter how big the bass.
Strong: This setting can be applied in situations where there is lots of low frequency noise, such as a strong wind or when you video your dog sticking its head out of the car window as you’re moving. While you may not notice it during the recording, these low sounds can be loud and dominant during playback. ‘Strong’ applies an effective filter to reduce the unwanted low-frequency noises.

Off: This setting can be used when there is a need to capture the entire sound spectrum from ca. 20Hz to 20kHz. Some may find this option convenient if they wish to edit the sound on a computer.
From Lumia 1020 includes Rich Recoding “Phase 2″, barometer | nokiagadgets.com

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ even if its just as good as the 808 it will still be way better than anything else out there. Good thing HTC are using the Nokia mics for the one..

Wow you are killing the iphone with that comparison. The bottom end with the 808 is amazing.

Well, the iphone 5's sound recording is crap.. :) very hard to hide that fact when you compare it to a rich recording device.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Video recording alone is enough reason to buy the 92X or 1020 series phones over their competition. I hate when my friends post videos on FB from concerts they go to, because of this crap.

In fact, it's a shame that the marketing girl at work is such an iSheep, because she constantly takes pics and records videos of her sister's music and for our country club's events, and they look like crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6