I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

BootsMcGavin

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1020 also, and I think the pictures are much better than they were on my 920. I can't do comparisons though because I had to give the 920 back to get the 1020.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
We need some camera expert people in here, because I'm confused. We have some saying, "Pictures are outstanding best camera ever beats every smartphone camera out." Then we have the "This camera is not better than the 808 and barely is better than the 920." Then we have the "Look at all the noise & grain this camera is a let-down." Hopefully it's all dependent on the user and how they take pictures but the wide range of reviews is disconcerting.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dont really believe them either. These are too grainy...unlike the renders of Joe and the renders of the presentation. --- maybe some setting is on and the guy doesn't know it?

The sample pictures that nokia put out are just as noisy if you look at them. the pictures posted are the same resolutions so look at them yourself. both at automatic settings.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dont really believe them either. These are too grainy...unlike the renders of Joe and the renders of the presentation. --- maybe some setting is on and the guy doesn't know it?

The sample pictures that nokia put out are just as noisy if you look at them. the pictures posted are the same resolutions so look at them yourself. both at automatic settings. I posted the image to skydrive if you follow the link. the exif data is there. The sensor is smaller then the 808's size wise. so each of the 41mp will be smaller. Which means more noise and things introduced into the picture. that's why a 6megapixel dslr camera can produce better pictures then a 10 megapixel point and shoot. the physical sensor is bigger.

Also the great sample pictures were taken outside which will have less grain in them.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember, when 920 Came out, pple were so pissed off that Nokia fooled them.. the images were bad. and look at where it is right now.. it is all about the hardware.. once you have that, the software can be updated and improved.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
People remember 1020 has smaller sensor than 808, it is going to be more grainy that's a given.

As for the Color saturation, Nokia already stated that the Color saturation on the 1020 will be between 808 and 920.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Remember, when 920 Came out, pple were so pissed off that Nokia fooled them.. the images were bad. and look at where it is right now.. it is all about the hardware.. once you have that, the software can be updated and improved.

I agree that Nokia will probably tweak the software and the results will be better in time, but the smaller pixel size is a legit concern, why couldn't they just put in the 808 sensor; 99% of people that want a 41mp phone would not care that it would make it 1-2mm thinker. But the photo quality would be 100% better; why not even make it bigger than the one in 808?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
People remember 1020 has smaller sensor than 808, it is going to be more grainy that's a given.

As for the Color saturation, Nokia already stated that the Color saturation on the 1020 will be between 808 and 920.

For the color saturation, it would be great if Nokia would put in a few pre-sets that the user can just choose from. I for one prefer the colors to be as close to the real ones as possible.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Must say, I expected more from the 1020, but you guys don't seem to notice that although there's more grain, the 1020 pics also show more realistic, less washed out and more vivid colours, I believe Nokia is going to bring out software updates that will address the noise issue, you got to remember this is a totally different sensor then the 808 and uses a different OS too so Nokia basically had to start from scratch when it comes to the algorithms and under the hood processing.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The main feature of the 1020 is the zoom to which the 920 does not compare. The launch was called Zoom Reinvented, not Grainy Reinvented or Noisy Reinvented.

lostaggie

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Must say, I expected more from the 1020, but you guys don't seem to notice that although there's more grain, the 1020 pics also show more realistic, less washed out and more vivid colours, I believe Nokia is going to bring out software updates that will address the noise issue, you got to remember this is a totally different sensor then the 808 and uses a different OS too so Nokia basically had to start from scratch when it comes to the algorithms and under the hood processing.

The algorithms should be close to the same. The core logic just had to be transferred to WP. That said... The differences in hardware (processor, sensor, etc...) would still need to be tweaked.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

That's true, but I was expecting more from it.. I mean Nokia has been hyping it up A LOT. Therefore, it is normal that we are expecting A LOT from it.. I'll wait until they compare it to the 808 (I am into decision making in between the 808 and the 1020). Let's see what happens then..

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Let us wait for professional review. Nokia would not have hyped it unnecessarily. either our guy has a prototype or defective or doesn't know how to use the settings.

Also not sure if the photos are in pureview mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo