I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The sample pictures that nokia put out are just as noisy if you look at them. the pictures posted are the same resolutions so look at them yourself. both at automatic settings. I posted the image to skydrive if you follow the link. the exif data is there. The sensor is smaller then the 808's size wise. so each of the 41mp will be smaller. Which means more noise and things introduced into the picture. that's why a 6megapixel dslr camera can produce better pictures then a 10 megapixel point and shoot. the physical sensor is bigger.

Also the great sample pictures were taken outside which will have less grain in them.

There's no point comparing to the 808, they are never meant to be competitors. the right comparison should be vis-a-vis the 920, iphone and galaxy s4. The 1020's sensor size although slightly smaller than the 808's, it's still 4 times larger than the other normal phones. This fact alone means the hardware capability already far exceeds all other phones. I would in fact argue that due to the OIS, it is a more compelling camera package compared to the 808 in spite of the sensor size. I'm certain that any issues are software related and will be fixed in due time. We've seen that happen with the 808 and 920, and in both cases some changes to the imaging algorithm made a huge difference. I currently have both the 808 and 920 and I will definitely get the 1020 as soon as it becomes available.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There's no point comparing to the 808,

but WP people just don't care for that "1020 is newer and it must be better than 808"

look at this, from this thread

No its all good! The 1020 has all the gear to trump even the 808. Don't bother listening to their feel good comments. Others just can not accept the fact that 808 is the past. Carry on

Just a bunch of nonsense...people seem not to get that things from the "past" actually can be better..a lot better.

glass

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Will post more pics tomorrow out drinkin lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post a photo of the 1020 taken with the 920.

It's not that I doubt those are really taken with a 1020, it's... oh, actually, that's exactly what it is.

mywang

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I see no embedded color profiles in every shot from 1020. Take care if you are using a wide gamma screen without proper color management.
The in-phone scaling algorithm seem a lot of room to improve. You will get far better results by proper post-processing.

original 5M OOC
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-3.jpg

Scaling in photoshop, sharpen ,and assign SRGB 41MP->5MP
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-3_SRGB_5M.jpg

Anyone see the differences?

Last edited:

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I see no embedded color profiles in every shot from 1020. Take care if you are using a wide gamma screen without proper color management.
The in-phone scaling algorithm seem a lot of room to improve. You will get far better results by proper post-processing.

original 5M OOC

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-3_SRGB_5M.jpg

Yours photo shopped pic has warmer colour tone and it is not so sharp like original downscaled image from Nokia. Yours also does not have so much noise but it is only visible when zoomed in. That also makes yours pic less sharp.

I have to say that i prefer Nokias image more.

mywang

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just another try
ASSIGN ADOBE RGB -> CONVERT to SRGB, scaling, increase sharpen level,
feel too saturate for my taste
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-3_ADOBERGB2SRGB_5M.jpg

Yours photo shopped pic has warmer colour tone and it is not so sharp like original downscaled image from Nokia. Yours also does not have so much noise but it is only visible when zoomed in. That also makes yours pic less sharp.

I have to say that i prefer Nokias image more.

Firenze89

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What is the black camera hump made of?

Ceramic, just like the side buttons on your 920 but with a grainy texture

EDIT: A new official statement from Nokia says its aluminium.
Sorry for the misinformation. I had it from serious sources that it was ceramic and it even looks and feels really close to what you have on a 920...

Last edited:

Viipottaja

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1020 also, and I think the pictures are much better than they were on my 920. I can't do comparisons though because I had to give the 920 back to get the 1020.

Please post some, and from more varied conditions and in more varied settings than those of unternull. And thanks undernull!
[if others have replied already]

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just another try
ASSIGN ADOBE RGB -> CONVERT to SRGB, scaling, increase sharpen level,
feel too saturate for my taste
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-3_ADOBERGB2SRGB_5M.jpg

Toomuch red and lots of highlights lost from darker areas. Man's shirt is almost same colour with door behind him. Too much contrast i think. Sharpnes is better compared to first try, but if you zoom in to women's fingers there is noticeably less details visible vs Nokia image.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

original 5M OOC

Interesting, both are good, but the original is still very usable even without any alterations. Shows a lot of detail, nice, crisp and sharp, and not nearly as much noise as in other photos we've seen thus far.

This new photo to surface looks excellent, this is what I was expecting from this phone.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the ones on my sky drive (uternull emailed me the pics and I put them on my skydrive) were reduced to 1.5 megapixel because he emailed them to me from the phone. Both 920 and 1020 pics of his were reduced so they can still be compaired since they were both reduced to the same resolution.

you would have to ask him if he emailed me the 38megapixel ones or the 5 megapixel ones.

Dexterrino

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
post comparison for:

indoors
indoors (no light) - with flash / no flash
landscapes/scenery at day
landscape/scenery at night
macro shot - flowers

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
but WP people just don't care for that "1020 is newer and it must be better than 808"

look at this, from this thread

Just a bunch of nonsense...people seem not to get that things from the "past" actually can be better..a lot better.

What I see as a bunch of non sense are the conviction of "some" 808 owners that based on such samples alone that a conclusion can be made already that 808 beats 1020. There is no side to side comparison yet. The shooting scenarios are limited, and also this is like the first production firmware version. Yes 808 has some advantage such as ND filter and iso 50, a *larger sensor FSI but even this is still debatable since a bit smaller BSI sensor perhaps can produce the same. What others here are trying to ignore are the fact the 1020 has a newer version of sensor, better RGB sensor for color reproduction, 6th element lense, OISv2, higher ISO capabilities, upto 4s ET, and faster exposure time. The "noise" that most guys are complaining about could be corrected by firmware upgrade. The 1020 will produce much sharper 5MP version of image compared to 808.

Overall, the 1020 will give outstanding result in different scenario, be it in daylight, moving subject, moving shooter, night photography, concerts etc. And this guarantee came from Pureview Engineers themselves and not from some internet users. So I tend to believe them more than you.

Last edited:

unternull

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh and all photos I have had major upload say in the picture info say jpeg(5mp) + (34 mp) . The only other setting there is is. Jpeg (5 mp)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What I see as a bunch of non sense are the conviction of "some" 808 owners that based on such samples alone that a conclusion can be made already that 808 beats 1020. There is no side to side comparison yet. The shooting scenarios are limited, and also this is like the first production firmware version. Yes 808 has some advantage such as ND filter and iso 50, a *larger sensor FSI but even this is still debatable since a bit smaller BSI sensor perhaps can produce the same. What others here are trying to ignore are the fact the 1020 has a newer version of sensor, better RGB sensor for color reproduction, 6th element lense, OISv2, higher ISO capabilities, upto 4s ET, and faster exposure time. The "noise" that most guys are complaining about could be corrected by firmware upgrade. The 1020 will produce much sharper 5MP version of image compared to 808.

Overall, the 1020 will give outstanding result in different scenario, be it in daylight, moving subject, moving shooter, night photography, concerts etc. And this guarantee came from Pureview Engineers themselves and not from some internet users. So I tend to believe them more than you.

they work for the company that tries to sell the product, of course they will say all the best for it, how hard is that to grasp for an adult?! Some people just like to buy the newest and most expensive things and to justify that because "newest is the best". It's not always like that, sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss