I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The best way is to take the pics and then upload them to skydrive by connecting your phone to your pc. The phone will down convert them if you do it anyother way.

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
they work for the company that tries to sell the product, of course they will say all the best for it, how hard is that to grasp for an adult?! Some people just like to buy the newest and most expensive things and to justify that because "newest is the best". It's not always like that, sorry.

I just can not believe what you've just said. I don't know if you are trying to demean the same engineers who created and patented the Pureview technologies, yes same engineers of 808 as plain marketing guys.

Jeff Schaub

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I had to register just for this. Anyone who is trying to pass judgement on any camera/phone based on a few pictures that someone (who clearly has no knowledge of anything photography, read his posts) took inside of a GameStop or Walmart is ridiculous. Wait for someone who actually knows how things like aperture, ISO, white balance, and an insane amount of file compression (in this case) can affect a photo.

If all you ever do is take pictures in Auto mode (like 90% of all people with a DSLR these days who walk around thinking they are professionals because they spent a lot on a camera) than you are right, you would be better off with a 920.

If you take a $3500 Canon 5D Mark 3 and take a pic in auto mode, take a pic with a $100 Canon Powershot in auto mode, then compress them both down to a 500kb file, they will look pretty similar.

Apples are not being compared to apples here.

Idiocracy_izruts

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I had to register just for this. Anyone who is trying to pass judgement on any camera/phone based on a few pictures that someone (who clearly has no knowledge of anything photography, read his posts) took inside of a GameStop or Walmart is ridiculous. Wait for someone who actually knows how things like aperture, ISO, white balance, and an insane amount of file compression (in this case) can affect a photo.

If all you ever do is take pictures in Auto mode (like 90% of all people with a DSLR these days who walk around thinking they are professionals because they spent a lot on a camera) than you are right, you would be better off with a 920.

If you take a $3500 Canon 5D Mark 3 and take a pic in auto mode, take a pic with a $100 Canon Powershot in auto mode, then compress them both down to a 500kb file, they will look pretty similar.

Apples are not being compared to apples here.

Absolutely spot on comment! taking pictures of boxes of beers from about 1m distance will wield almost identical results from pretty much any camera. Don't know what's with that community, Nokia gives you something to be proud of, that no other OEM currently have in their products, and all the WP dudes start complaining that an EOL-ed device 'presumably' takes a tad better photos in FULL resolution when viewed at an extreme zoom. Comon enough with the pixel hunting, look at the sample photos from nokia, look at the photos from the rooftops posted here, and the ones from that demo unit, and ask yourself 'can my current phone provide such detail and capabilities?' Because that's what you're going to be upgrading from. Yes, not the 808 unicorn, not from anything else but you own current smartphone. And you most definetily won't be drooling over photos of beer boxes.....ever.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
THe problem is this is a phone. If I am going to go through all the trouble of changing those settings then why don't I just bringa really good point and shoot with me or a dslr in the first place?

The auto settings HAVE TO BE GOOD. that's the whole point. if I change all those settings I will miss the shot with a phone camera. Also the fact that this phone is $100 more on contract then the 920 is a big deal .

This is being marketed as the best camera in a phone period. Yet the pictures are not hugely better then the 920 being used in day to day uses.

Besides the megapixels a lot of what the phone can do will be ported over to the 920. the pro camera software is coming to the 920 also.

BootsMcGavin

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem in having with the camera on mine is the color reproduction. Everything looks kinda yellow, and it seems like the pictures adjust themselves to look even more yellow as soon as I go to review it. Its driving me nuts! Are you having the same issue at all?

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
...The 1020's sensor size although slightly smaller than the 808's, it's still 4 times larger than the other normal phones.
I find this strange, because during the 1020 Reveal, they said the 1020 has the largest sensor found on ANY consumer device. Not just cell phones, but ANY device. Were they lying, mistake? Is it truly larger, or is the 808 larger??? Strange...

See this video and watch at 26:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LuVmJKY8c

PS: I'm buying the 1020, so I'm not knocking it, but I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

Last edited:

Jeff Schaub

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
THe problem is this is a phone.

Yes, a phone with an insanely nice camera marketed to people who have a clue about photography. Put ANYTHING in auto mode and it will come out looking similar, as the Nokia algorithms are probably similar if not identical between the two phones. Again, this is just like spending thousands on a pro DSLR and leaving it in auto mode then wondering why your shots come out looking not much better than your $100 point and shoot.

This camera will have far more potential that 99% of the people buying it will need and/or even know how to use. But as I've said, auto vs. auto it won't make much difference vs. the 920 besides the ability to crop without loss of detail. That alone is a big deal that is completely ignored in this thread.

Idiocracy_izruts

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So let's recap: The ability to zoom loslessly into a picture before and after you take a shot, oversampling to 5mp autosaved to your device, which is clearly sharper than anything the 920 or any other phone can do, and for you that still isn't an upgrade? To me the shots I've seen are clearly better in color reproduction and dynamic range than the ones the 920 produces. I'll take that anyday for some more gentle luminance noise here and there...

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The "noise" that most guys are complaining about could be corrected by firmware upgrade.

I hope not, to be honest. The 920 goes too far in the other direction, where noise reduction seems to be performed at the expense of sharpness and detail. From the sample pictures I saw, I much prefer the algorithm they're using in the 1020, where yes, there's some visible noise, but the detail also remains in every part of the image.

And as for the person downsampling the image in Photoshop... I'm sorry, but Nokia's is much better. The colors of course are slightly different (but to be honest, you can still tweak them in the Nokia image if you want), and Nokia's is more detailed.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So let's recap: The ability to zoom loslessly into a picture before and after you take a shot, oversampling to 5mp autosaved to your device, which is clearly sharper than anything the 920 or any other phone can do, and for you that still isn't an upgrade? ...

Nope, not until its powered by 50 warp cores and dylithium crystals....

unternull

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I will attempt to take more pictures of perhaps a landscape a house and download them to the pc and upload accordingly. I apologize I am a camera noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So let's recap: The ability to zoom loslessly into a picture before and after you take a shot, oversampling to 5mp autosaved to your device, which is clearly sharper than anything the 920 or any other phone can do, and for you that still isn't an upgrade? To me the shots I've seen are clearly better in color reproduction and dynamic range than the ones the 920 produces. I'll take that anyday for some more gentle luminance noise here and there...

How many people will really be zooming in and out of a picture? This phone is only the camera. Can you honestly say its worth buying the 1020 now when even nokia hinted you may see a 4 core, 1080p ,screen version in the dec time frame?

I think anybody who buys this phone now who has the 92x version phones is crazy considering when gdr3 comes around you will most likely see a much more upgraded version of this phone. Then take into account your not getting HUGE improvements in pictures verses a 920. You have to zoom into a pic to notice them. Most people post the photos to places like google plus, skydrive, or facebook.

If you have a 900 or worse phone then yes its a huge upgrade but if you have a 920 it is not the upgrade nokia makes you believe.

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
I will attempt to take more pictures of perhaps a landscape a house and download them to the pc and upload accordingly. I apologize I am a camera noob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
No stress, you are awesome for doing this in the first place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs