I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

Mad Strings

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the 920 started at $99 on contract, while the 1020 starts at $299. That is a $200 difference for an extra GB of RAM and a better camera. So I need a much better camera to buy the 1020 on launch day, especially since I don't have built in wireless charging. Plus no wireless charge pad added in means the phone is more like $250 more expensive.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I find this strange, because during the 1020 Reveal, they said the 1020 has the largest sensor found on ANY consumer device. Not just cell phones, but ANY device. Were they lying, mistake? Is it truly larger, or is the 808 larger??? Strange...

See this video and watch at 26:37
Nokia "Zoom Reinvented" event - YouTube

PS: I'm buying the 1020, so I'm not knocking it, but I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

If memory serves me (at the doc terrible signal or I would watch the video) they said it was the largest BSI (not to be confused with standard) sensor in a consumer device no?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How many people will really be zooming in and out of a picture? This phone is only the camera. Can you honestly say its worth buying the 1020 now when even nokia hinted you may see a 4 core, 1080p ,screen version in the dec time frame?

I think anybody who buys this phone now who has the 92x version phones is crazy considering when gdr3 comes around you will most likely see a much more upgraded version of this phone. Then take into account your not getting HUGE improvements in pictures verses a 920. You have to zoom into a pic to notice them. Most people post the photos to places like google plus, skydrive, or facebook.

If you have a 900 or worse phone then yes its a huge upgrade but if you have a 920 it is not the upgrade nokia makes you believe.
The only users who would benefit from it are photography hobbyists and photographers who need a point and shoot on them all the time. The ability to zoom without losing much detail is important for post processing and reframing a photo. The points you make apply to like 90% of the users actually looking to buy the 1020 because most of us would just post to Facebook. Those with a 920 should definitely wait, when the Amber update rolls around, they'll be getting the new algorithms that the 925 is using which should bring it's photos closer to what the 1020 can do minus the lossless zoom.

Not sure if this has been done, but I think digital zoom photos comparison from both would also be something worthwhile. How many times have you just realize you're just too far, and digital zooming just kills the photo. I think on the 1020 you'll be able to utilize digital zoom so you can better frame subjects. I understand that digital zoom is basically cropping, so on the 1020 this shouldn't be a problem allowing users the ability to better frame photographs.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you have seen comparisons between Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 928 , iPhone 5 and others you will find it difficult to find difference between images unless you zoom in, crop and then compare. Then I remember when 808 pureview was launched, many tech sites were quick to say that you can hardly do anything better with 808 than zooming in....and some even suggested iPhone 5 is better. Now, it was only later when it was realized that why 5 MP images from 808 were better than 8 MP images from other smartphones. Because you can in first look find out difference in sharpness, clarity and level of details and 808 images will always look better. I find similar difference here as well and Lumia 1020 look much better than Lumia 920 images in sharpness and details.

Anyways, I will suggest the poster to click 5 Mp image with Lumia 1020 and then compare it with Lumia 920 images as with 5 MP images only you see advantage of oversampling!!

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a phone with an insanely nice camera marketed to people who have a clue about photography. Put ANYTHING in auto mode and it will come out looking similar, as the Nokia algorithms are probably similar if not identical between the two phones. Again, this is just like spending thousands on a pro DSLR and leaving it in auto mode then wondering why your shots come out looking not much better than your $100 point and shoot.

This camera will have far more potential that 99% of the people buying it will need and/or even know how to use. But as I've said, auto vs. auto it won't make much difference vs. the 920 besides the ability to crop without loss of detail. That alone is a big deal that is completely ignored in this thread.

And there it is... I appreciate this response right here. If your one of those people who don't know photography or leave your cameras in AUTO mode then this phone is not for you, so for half the people in this thread should just exit now. A 92x is suffice for everybody else especially when they get the AMBER update. I was on to something.

Mr_DEmidio

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Funny how so many of you discount the phone after seeing pics taken from about 12 inches away. Try looking at some pics in adverse conditions and see the difference. And IMO, every 1020 pic has MUCH better color accuracy than the 920 ones. Call me crazy...

unternull

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Im going to try to take distance/landscape if time affords it. Maybe ill take a trip into Manhattan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PervertRyan

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't think noise is necessarily a bad thing. The grain in the 1020 pictures is very uniform in shape pattern and color, pleasant to look at. The kind of noise that's ugly is the multi-colored (red, green, blue pixels) noise that you get from cranked up ISO levels.

Last edited:

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed my white balance was set to sunny changing it to another setting removes the orange tinge. Major I will send you new pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I'm sorry to ask again, but maybe the question was missed... were all the photos posted taken with the "sunny" setting?

dmuzial

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just went to go try to see if my local AT&T store would let me get a peek at the demo or non-functioning demo model. Salesman spent 20 minutes trying to convince me to get the S4 instead =/

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just went to go try to see if my local AT&T store would let me get a peek at the demo or non-functioning demo model. Salesman spent 20 minutes trying to convince me to get the S4 instead =/

I do not wonder any longer that WP and Nokia numbers are not so great in US (laugh) - maybe a sales man get a better comission from S4 :p

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
How many people will really be zooming in and out of a picture? This phone is only the camera. Can you honestly say its worth buying the 1020 now when even nokia hinted you may see a 4 core, 1080p ,screen version in the dec time frame?

I think anybody who buys this phone now who has the 92x version phones is crazy considering when gdr3 comes around you will most likely see a much more upgraded version of this phone. Then take into account your not getting HUGE improvements in pictures verses a 920. You have to zoom into a pic to notice them. Most people post the photos to places like google plus, skydrive, or facebook.

If you have a 900 or worse phone then yes its a huge upgrade but if you have a 920 it is not the upgrade nokia makes you believe.
I must be one of the crazy ones cause I already pre ordered a yellow one to replace me black 920. If and when another one rolls out in Dec will sell it and get it too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte