I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Stop trolling!! The image captured with Lumia 1020 have less grain and noise than 808 PureView image. People are talking about grain and noise if full-res images without knowing that oversampling reduces noise and hence Nokia always asked to use 5 MP mode on 808 PureView or Lumia 1020. At 34 Mp Lumia 1020 sensor captures less noise than 808's sensor....Troll busted.
Comparison between 200% & 300% crops of Lumia 1020 and 808 full-resolution (34 MP) images. Lumia 1020 sems to capture less noise.

That is such a nonsensical comparison. Not to mention shows 1020 is bad light.

808's images have less grain and noise, and they actually look like photos. 1020's crops look like they were painted and are grainy.

There is a reason this picture exists...

http://i.picpar.com/cks.jpg

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The following quote from the gsmarena review
"Unlike the 808 PureView, which delivered natural colors that are as close to reality as we?ve seen any smartphone get, the Lumia 1020 goes for boosted saturation and warmer colors. We suspect this has a lot to do with the former head of Nokia imaging Damian Dinning leaving the company. Mr Dinning was a fan of more natural unprocessed look and most Nokia smartphones developed under his lead reflected that.
Now the Lumia 1020 takes a different path and goes for the punchier output even if that means sacrificing some detail. The saturation boost has cost the Lumia 1020 some fine detail, which is still present on the 808 PureView shots. We really hope Nokia tunes down the default saturation in the final product as those who like more vibrant colors can always boost the saturation from the camera settings.

As far as image quality is concerned, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is really in a class of its own. None of the other high-end smartphones can come even close to the amount of resolved detail that the huge pixel-dense sensor and the 6-element ZEISS lens deliver. The dynamic range is also much higher than any other flagship can offer. At full resolution (38 MP or 34MP) the noise levels are comparable to those of the 13MP Galaxy S4, which is a pretty great achievement given how much more detail you get."

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
All the 808 is doing is giving Nokia headaches.. if it didn't exist the 920 would've been 2x more impressive, and the 1020 would've blown everyone away..

So in lamen terms? lol I was thinking generally that Nokia really needs to sell this concept well....I was looking at the 1020 pics on my l920 earlier and could not see a difference in the them until I came to my laptop...I wonder how many people are seeing the pics on their phones...even the ones Nokia officially posts up and say....meh....what's the difference...it all looks the same. But what do I know...I know nothing of photography...just know when I don't like something.

They need to do a better job at explaining, yes, but it will be very hard.. and like some people already said, image quality is not something everyone cares about :)

I see no embedded color profiles in every shot from 1020. Take care if you are using a wide gamma screen without proper color management.
The in-phone scaling algorithm seem a lot of room to improve. You will get far better results by proper post-processing.

original 5M OOC
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-3.jpg

Scaling in photoshop, sharpen ,and assign SRGB 41MP->5MP
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64797097/Nokia/nokia-lumia-1020-pro-highres-3_SRGB_5M.jpg

Anyone see the differences?

To my eyes, in this case, the image from the phone is a bit better.. but I am sure you can get a bit better results in some cases by doing the resize your self.

When the 808 launched a lot of people were wondering what kind of algorithm is Nokia using to oversamples the images, because its not just simple pixel binning, and I think the closest we got is that they are using something very similar to:

Lanczos resampling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so if you do decide to process the full res image your self, use Lanczos to downscale.

I would guess they are using something very similar with the 1020.

The "noise" that most guys are complaining about could be corrected by firmware upgrade. The 1020 will produce much sharper 5MP version of image compared to 808.

You really can't compensate for the smaller sensor area with software that much.. considering how mature the 808's jpeg processing is, its pretty much maxing out what the Toshiba sensor can do.. so.. even if they get to that point with the 1020 in terms of processing, it will always be noisier overall.

And in terms of sharpness.. if you pump up the sharpness on the 808 to the max its pretty good, I doubt that the 1020 will be that much sharper.

example

No, 808 is using FSI while 1020 is using BSI which is at least 25% more sensitive to capturing light compared to FSI with same sensor size.

How accurate do you think that 25% number is ? I am yet to see a high end camera use a BSI sensor and produce a decent image.. if they were 25% more sensitive to light, don't you think that we would've see at least one DSLR with a BSI sensor until now..

At this point, its just a way for the OEMs to be able to use the same small BSI sensor but pack more pixels into them so the consumer can be led to believe that they are buying a better camera. It also sounds good in the marketing materials..

1020 does not take good pictures, it's obvious. When 808 was announced it's samples were just mind blowing.

It does take good pictures, and there is potential to make some pretty cool photographs.. considering the shutter speeds, you might be able to capture things that would be impossible with the 808. We will have to wait and see ...

In terms of raw IQ.. yes, it will be a bit behind, but most people won't care.. let's be real, most people don't even know what an 808 is.

The samples from the 808 were indeed very impressive.. but just imagine for a second that the 808 didn't exist.. wouldn't you be impressed with the 1020 ? Its above and beyond anything else on the market..

The 808 was more of a niche device not because of the camera but mainly because of the OS used, on the other hand the 1020 uses a modern phone OS that is way more mainstream than the 808 one was.

It wasn't the OS itself.. it was Nokia's decision to publicly "kill" the platforms by announcing that they will not support it anymore, which wasn't true anyway, and the very high price of the 808.. it was $700 at launch, and it didn't have much carrier support around the world, and NONE in the USofA.

The OS itself is not bad at all.. its a modern as they get. You are talking about the UI..

1250 ISO ... why... : (

Last edited:

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Man the N8 picture looks great, I am not going to judge a product that has not been released to public, they might still fix camera software, by the time it releases, but if it took the quality pics as the N8, it would be great, hopefully someone would shed some light and do a side by side comparison with it, since it is one of the best camera phones out there.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
/\ i would rather have a bit more grain in the 808 than smeary plasticine effect on the 1020 in that 200% 300% crop link.

I actually would rather be happy with the differences (if any) in the image quality using the Lumia 1020, than to be saddled with the Symbian OS on the Nokia 808, especially given that the Lumia 1020 would be my daily driver.

I have a N8 (now my backup mp3 player), and while I didn't experience any technical issues with Symbian, the Symbian OS bored me to tears, and this was even before the support for the OS by Nokia waned. The lack of dynamic and engaging apps was present in 2011 and even more so today. I jumped ship last November to the Lumia 900, and I am seriously considering getting the Lumia 1020. And while I don't have a lot of apps on my Lumia, I simply find the WP OS more of a joy to use.

At the end of the day, it really boils down to the 'overall' user experience.

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
zunaju9u.jpg

I5
ejymu9en.jpg

S4
sa4y5a3u.jpg

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The N8 is solid.. 1/1.83'' @ 1.75 micron pixels.. technically its the phone with the biggest physical pixels around..

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It is rather funny to see people falling in trap of trolls like cod3rror who has to write nonsense against all new Nokia phones to earn his salary. Don't trust me go check MNB or any other blog you will see him trolling everywhere.

Anyways coming to the comparison between 808 and Lumia 1020, I am myself a 808 user and I am very happy to see Lumia 1020 camera which has similar level of details as 808 pureview but much better in low light and in video capturing due to OIS. Even now people have to rant against such amazing camera then god knows what will satisfy them. may be SGS4 or iPhone 5 :p. Anyways, Lumia 1020.... here I come!!

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Got my 920 a couple seasons ago and I'm still glad I got it early. The 1020 is not worth the extra "hump" and immediate upgrade.
But, I assume this phone is aimed at users that didn't get a 920/925/928 yet and is a slight upgraded alternative.
That is good but I'm just not sure the photos does the hump and price justice. You don't even get integrated Qi.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Take 5 MP image with Lumia 1020 in similar conditions and with Flash then post. Why misguiding others? And yes I have N8 and 808 PureView with me and I still know how much big jump 808 is in terms of imaging quality over N8.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Imaging quality wise Lumia 1020 is head and shoulders above anything Lumia 920 will ever produce. Don't get confused about what crap goes in forums.People feel happy here in misguiding others and reasons may be from being paid to ****** trolling. Better go and read what good and dependable sites like GSMArena have to say and they say that nothing comes close to Lumia 1020 other than 808 pureview.

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
True, but how many people are in that market. Not many. I was a big homer for the 1020, but now its really not worth at all the $650 unlocked price. Not when I got my 920 for $450 off contract with a free wireless charger during launch time. Not when its the same exact internals besides a ram boost. And they have the balls to price it $299 off contract.

Its gonna be a flop from elop. Short NOK.

Interesting thread... It seems most who are bashing the 1020 camera are people who seemingly don't really have a lot of photography knoweledge or experience and basically just are interested in a simple auto-everything camera that makes a decent job of hiding grain and noise. The 920 is a good choice for that.

The 1020 is a completely different animal aimed at photo enthusiasts who want more control and actually can distinguish good quality pictures from bad ones.

The pictures that unternull has posted (even if they are compressed) has made it VERY clear that the 1020 pictures are superior in many respects, as some has already pointed out. They are clearly much sharper and detailed and I find the grain texture rather pleasant, reminding of old school analog camera pictures. Also, the transition between different shades of colours is very smooth and accurate. Finally, I think the depth-of-field effect is beautiful, the out-of-focus parts have a character to them that comes close to DSLR quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon