I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

muderko

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It was dampened when the sample pics came out. The only question I want to ask the 1020 team now is how do you manage to have grain at 100 iso WITH oversampling. How is that even possible. My 808 produces crystal clear photos like these

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tsoriginaux/8341412471/

All. Day. Long.

Again, its clear that windows phone 8 is not ready for such hardware. Ive been the biggest nokia fan (hell, i bought the 808 on cash) but I WILL be moving on to Sony, Samsung or any other manufacturer who actually make an effort and dont hobble themselves with terrible choices.

Unfortunately, you have to wait for a few more days to get answers for your questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kevroc

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I want to put the disclaimer out there again that I am learning a lot of these features for the first time. I've added a few more photos to the photo stream if you want to check it out. I'll hopefully have more time tomorrow to learn about different settings in preparation for the baseball game. I apologize to anyone who's excitement has been dampered.

I may be in the minority, but I love the pics and think they're great. Sure there are some settings issues like exposure, etc. , but that's clearly the OP adjusting settings and not the camera. There's quite a bit of blur in some of the better shots, just hold that camera steady all the way through the photo or adjust the shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/500 to help. The colors are great, contrast is great. All in all, wow, really can't wait to get mine. These pics from a phone?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm driving home now and will take some night shots when I'm home. I did just receive a camera pro update so I will see if there's any changes. Also, the photos taken today (160 or so) came out toba little over a gig. Phone hit battery saver around 5pm but this is a time I'd be using the grip/battery.

warmth

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, it's crazy the feeling here. You guys should calm down. I'm starting to think many people here just came to talk bad about Nokia latest phone instead of really testing and comparing the results.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, this is what bugs me the most..

pDwIRjH.jpg

See those tiny little grains on the wall ? They are present on every single photo I've seen so far.. depending on conditions and settings they show more/less, but its there.

kalel_1000

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Here at 125iso you could see a bit of grain on her cheeks.. but really.. picking it apart here, if you take that same photo with any other phone you won't get that kind of IQ

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/9336598079_65e0975c32_o.jpg

It looks fine to me..

Look at the carpet, the cushion. Looks like nothing but a mess of colors.

Also, please go look at 200 iso pics from the 808. I challenge you to find even a single bit of grain. Compare that to this iso 125 photo thats supposed to have 'pureview' oversampling going on and you can see what we 808 owners are angry about.

ex - https://secure.flickr.com/photos/foto-silo/8073680400/sizes/o/in/set-72157631737199135/

This is the quality we were getting more than an year ago. The photo you posted the girls face is a mess of grain and the grass, LOL. Absolute joke.

And who is the genius who decided we didnt need a 50 iso setting any more?

Shredcow

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think the shots look very promising!

I have an 808 and a 920 - and I love the Pureview features of each of those phones; crazy IQ and OIS. To have both of those features in one phone, running a modern OS - I'm game!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
99.9% of the users out there wouldn't care about such a small thing.. really.. just relax :) I am sharing my own pixel-obsessed opinion..

It shows at really low ISO as well..

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Im using auto settings I am not knowledgeable in camera settings I know a little about ruke of thirds depth of field and a few other minor things. I work 11 hour days. I am tired I would like nothing more than to take a trip into the city with my new phone and take pictures of the brooklyn bridge times sq central park. I have not had a day off yet. Tomorrow I am off and guess what ill be doing ? Taking pictures. I understand its a new phone but I am but one person. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So, all these devices are pre-production devices with unfinished software or prototypes. I am surprised Nokia sent these device to such people who don't have camera experience. So, it seems all the images posted here are from noobs with prototype Lumia 1020 camera.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Opened up pavvento's photos on 23 inch monitor.

BLOODY ASTONISHING. :love:

What you guys might have missed crucial: 5MP and 38MP shots are meant for VERY different purposes. And Nokia's engineers let you know that!

Basically - it seems Nokia is leaving 38mp with minimal amount of sharpening. There is very little grain.This is pretty much equivalent of RAW for photo pros without having to fix the lens correction.

The 5MP are much sharper. These are meant to be shared - so they're giving it the photogenic treatment. And they look MUCH better to an average Joe's eyes.

The grain / noise has been blown out of proportion. The grain look is intentional.

1020 has (I think is by design) a very distinctive 5MP supersampled look. It's old schooled, detailed, sharpened, and grainy. (imagine how great the look will be with B&W)

38MP pictures are less sharp, more natural. They need photoshop to bring out the look.

If you don't like how Nokia does 5MP supersample - you can start afresh from 38MP and downsample it too how you want it.

But for majority, the 5MP look is suppose to be what you pay $299 for.

It pops out.

Flick between 5MP and 38MP version of pavvento's same frames.

The difference is amazing.

It's as if 38MP is natural / still in flux. Where as 5MP is motion freezed.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, all these devices are pre-production devices with unfinished software or prototypes. I am surprised Nokia sent these device to such people who don't have camera experience. So, it seems all the images posted here are from noobs with prototype Lumia 1020 camera.

Yes I am not versed with the settings in photography as I said several times. Your assumption of this being preproduction and of it being from Nokia are just that- assumptions.

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tsoriginaux/8341412471/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/karabulev/9263829038/

Just becuase you are blinded by nokia's marketing mean everyone is a troll. I have bought more Nokia phones than you are old in years.

I am not blinded, I just give respect to Nokia RND and value their opinion more than the opinion of average users. And again, they are engineers and not marketing people.
I just keep an open mind and reserve my judgement until a more detailed comparison is done. I can pick several 1020 photos from the limited numbers out there, mostly taken by amateur photographers and some from pre-production samples and they will blow some 808 photos available.

Even the samples you posted, you cannot say what was the complete scenario when the shots were taken. Was the 808 image shot on a tripod while the 1020 was hand held? I can see grains in 808 image, but even that is not a bad thing. The point is we do not know and we are not sure.

I say, give your opinion and comment but reserve your judgment. And do not discourage or sway away interested people who visit this forum to learn more about 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans