I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Opened up pavvento's photos on 23 inch monitor.

BLOODY ASTONISHING. :love:

What you guys might have missed crucial: 5MP and 38MP shots are meant for VERY different purposes. And Nokia's engineers let you know that!

Basically - it seems Nokia is leaving 38mp with minimal amount of sharpening. There is very little grain.This is pretty much equivalent of RAW for photo pros without having to fix the lens correction.

The 5MP are much sharper. These are meant to be shared - so they're giving it the photogenic treatment. And they look MUCH better to an average Joe's eyes.

The grain / noise has been blown out of proportion. The grain look is intentional.

1020 has (I think is by design) a very distinctive 5MP supersampled look. It's old schooled, detailed, sharpened, and grainy. (imagine how great the look will be with B&W)

38MP pictures are less sharp, more natural. They need photoshop to bring out the look.

If you don't like how Nokia does 5MP supersample - you can start afresh from 38MP and downsample it too how you want it.

But for majority, the 5MP look is suppose to be what you pay $299 for.

It pops out.

Flick between 5MP and 38MP version of pavvento's same frames.

The difference is amazing.

It's as if 38MP is natural / still in flux. Where as 5MP is motion freezed.

That has to be. Those 5 MP images are for what you have "oversampling" of pureview phase 1 that you have on 808 pureview and now Lumia 1020. Oversampling reduces noise without losing details.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
And the reframing feature. It's bloody amazing.

Their CEO said you could reframe to different subjects.

It actually makes sense looking at the 38MP and 5MP zoomed picture. :grin:

Gonna order one when it gets to UK. If my bank manager doesn't mind that is. :winktongue:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 5MP are much sharper. These are meant to be shared - so they're giving it the photogenic treatment. And they look MUCH better to an average Joe's eyes.

The grain / noise has been blown out of proportion. The grain look is intentional.

1020 has (I think is by design) a very distinctive 5MP supersampled look. It's old schooled, detailed, sharpened, and grainy. (imagine how great the look will be with B&W)

I doubt that its intentional, but I agree with you.. they do look old school :)

Here it is again

G1I6if7.jpg

I was hoping we won't see any of that @ 5Mpix and low ISO

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Overall the 5Mpix images look great.. way better than anything else out there.

You have to put the 1020 against an iphone or a gs4 to really appreciate the IQ..

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting for this phone for a long time! I can't wait to replace my 900 with this! Just need to wait for the price to drop a bit

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I doubt that its intentional, but I agree with you.. they do look old school :)

Here it is again

http://i.imgur.com/G1I6if7.jpg

I was hoping we won't see any of that @ 5Mpix and low ISO

Here again:

Focus on the older gentleman's hand.

38MP: Windows Phone_20130721_16_12_27_Pro__highres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
5MP: Windows Phone_20130721_16_12_27_Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The amount of detail is beyond amazing. The hand is rendered papery by time in the latter. This is amazing. It sort of brings life back into older images. Sort of gives you the impression the 5MP intends to adds what's missing in those plain jpg, and bring those until now too-perfect digital sharpening to life, with substance that get to the emotion of true subject. In some other shots - the 38 & 5MP actually gives you an illusion of slightly different framing. Suggesting the supersampling technique is seems VERY sophisticated.

What's what you pay $299 for partly.

You actually could see additionally detail not in the original 38MP - and not directly as result of sharpening at expense of detail.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ yes.. I think that the 5mpix stuff looks fine

I will say this, the phone and the pro software got a lot of attention from my family who all have iPhones and droids.

It will get a lot of attention anywhere you go :)

And, a lot of people will miss the whole point of the 1020.. just like they did with the 808.

Even if a competitor comes close to it in terms of IQ, its not about that.. its about the flexibility it gives you in terms of documenting an even digitally. No other smartphone can do all of these things, as well as the 1020...

Xenon, fast shutter speeds, OIS, zooming, HAAC stereo recording..

Any situation you happened to find yourself in, you will get an acceptable result. That is unique to those two pureview phones..

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Here again:

The amount of detail is beyond amazing. The hand is rendered papery by time in the latter. This is amazing. In some other shots - the 38 & 5MP actually gives you an illusion of slightly different framing. Suggesting the supersampling technique is seems VERY sophisticated.

You actually could see additionally detail not in the original 38MP - and not directly as result of sharpening at expense of detail.

Wow!! That looks really good. Amazing details which can't be had from any cam other than 808 pv.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow!! That looks really good. Amazing details which can't be had from any cam other than 808 pv.

Good stuff.. considering the size of the device, and.. it is a smartphone.. the results are pretty incredible.

The jpegs simply look different from the 808's .. that's all

For example, you won't see that kind of edge sharpening from an 808

mKdXgCc.jpg

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tsoriginaux/8341412471/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/karabulev/9263829038/

Just becuase you are blinded by nokia's marketing mean everyone is a troll. I have bought more Nokia phones than you are old in years.

That's why you are a troll. You are comparing 808 images with tripod and many settings to a Lumia 1020 normal low-light photo and trolling. I have a 808 and without boosting exposure and ISO, it can't capture as much light as even Lumia 920 w/o flash.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Again here:

38MP: Windows Phone_20130721_17_28_28_Pro__highres | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
5MP: Windows Phone_20130721_17_28_28_Pro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In these photos, the focus of the effectively shifts to the right - from the first gentleman on the left, to the eye of the gentleman on the right. Simply due to supersampling technique. (see the hair too!) Notice how the gentleman on the right's facial expression appears so much more focused with 5MP. Additionally look at the fence - 5MP's perceived sharpness by far exceed the 38MP shot. The tiny gap between each stripe of the vertical fence is even different; on the 5mp you can see through more! Basically - the detail is all in the 38MP shot.

Where the magic happens, is within the 1020 which does the heavy lifting. So you could have decent 5MP picture without photoshop most of the time, that actually LOOK good. Where as 38MP allows more advanced shooters to get an the pictures technically right with appropriate processing. When they're back on the workstation.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Here again:

The amount of detail is beyond amazing. The hand is rendered papery by time in the latter. This is amazing. It sort of brings life back into older images. Sort of gives you the impression the 5MP intends to adds what's missing in those plain jpg, and bring those until now too-perfect digital sharpening to life, with substance that get to the emotion of true subject. In some other shots - the 38 & 5MP actually gives you an illusion of slightly different framing. Suggesting the supersampling technique is seems VERY sophisticated.

are you joking or what?

http://s18.postimg.org/vhbolqftl/1020.jpg

it's clear that "supersampling" doesn't work as advertised...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
AT&T stores were supposed to be the first ones to receive the stock and they will start selling it on 23rd. Prototypes can't be taken to judge quality of images.

What is supposed to happen and what actually happens are very different, but if you want to think this is a prototype please continue to do so. For everyone else, this came out of an AT&T Lumia 1020 box that was with other 1020 phones. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the box!

muderko

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What is supposed to happen and what actually happens are very different, but if you want to think this is a prototype please continue to do so. For everyone else, this came out of an AT&T Lumia 1020 box that was with other 1020 phones. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the box!

I believe this is not a prototype unit, it is just that people still do not want to be disappointed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss