I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Well those two competitor photos you posted aren't as good as you think they are. Look at the dog picture as an example. There's compression noise all around the edge of the snout / whiskers, the white is too strong (even though the blanket may have been in direct sunlight it's still noticeable) and at original size, look how compressed the edge of it's basket is - washed out and blurred. You say the Nokia ones look painted at full original size? Your pictures posted are the same. While I'm at it look at it's ear on the top. Again, heavy compression and lack of colour. Come to think of it, the whole of the head looks compressed in it's image quality. Probably because of the fact the file size of that file isn't even 4MB. The white on the blanket is so overexposed you can't even see the creases on it (yes there are creases, I lowered the image brightness in Photoshop).

Right, let's look at this other pic, the van. Yup as I imagined, lots of compression noise: look at those link chains. And the building brickwork. And the grass. And the floor. In fact, it all looks pretty compressed to me. The colour is washed out, and is much worse than the dog picture.

If you want to nit pick then I can do the same. Either you are trying to force negativity on Nokia, or you need to go to Specsavers.

Nukey

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well those two competitor photos you posted aren't as good as you think they are. Look at the dog picture as an example. There's compression noise all around the edge of the snout / whiskers, the white is too strong (even though the blanket may have been in direct sunlight it's still noticeable) and at original size, look how compressed the edge of it's basket is - washed out and blurred. You say the Nokia ones look painted at full original size? Your pictures posted are the same. While I'm at it look at it's ear on the top. Again, heavy compression and lack of colour. Come to think of it, the whole of the head looks compressed in it's image quality. Probably because of the fact the file size of that file isn't even 4MB. The white on the blanket is so overexposed you can't even see the creases on it (yes there are creases, I lowered the image brightness in Photoshop).

Right, let's look at this other pic, the van. Yup as I imagined, lots of compression noise: look at those link chains. And the building brickwork. And the grass. And the floor. In fact, it all looks pretty compressed to me. The colour is washed out, and is much worse than the dog picture.

If you want to nit pick then I can do the same. Either you are trying to force negativity on Nokia, or you need to go to Specsavers.

Nukey

Your analysis is absolutely, completely wrong.

If you're complain about those pictures, analyse these photos and tell us what you think...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/9336623499_c2302f2028_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3748/9336660697_c3f30e8134_o.jpg

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Those images are not native 35/38/41 megapixel images. When taking images with the Lumia 1020 you have the option of taking pictures at 38/35 Mpix + 5mpix (as an additional which includes the oversampling), or 5mpix on it's own. That is a standard 5mpix photo.

My original analysis is not wrong. You only have to look at those photos you linked to see the quality degradation! I'm sure others would agree.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Those images are not native 35/38/41 megapixel images. When taking images with the Lumia 1020 you have the option of taking pictures at 38/35 Mpix + 5mpix (as an additional which includes the oversampling), or 5mpix on it's own. That is a standard 5mpix photo.

My original analysis is not wrong. You only have to look at those photos you linked to see the quality degradation! I'm sure others would agree.

There is no such thing as a "standard 5MP photo" all 5MP are oversampled.

And most people will use 5MP, who needs 35MP images!? And it's not like they're good either, they are very grainy.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Oversampling is to reduce noise and retain most of the details. If you gonna compare 38 MP with full details with 5 MP PureView image with no noise and less details, what you reckon you will get. Details will always be more on 34-38 MP sample but noise will be much higher as well. That's how it works on 808 as well. With 808 nobody bothered about 34-38 MP images because Nokia highlighted 5 MP oversampled images. Here all confusion is coming in because Nokia has introduce reframing as an option with Lumia 1020 for which you take full-res images.

But do remember, oversampled images for Lumia 1020 will have much better details than any other smartphone on market barring one and only one 808 in daylight. In case of Low-light images even 808 doesn't come closer to Lumia 1020. Read what GSMArena has to say about it,

As far as image quality is concerned, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is really in a class of its own. None of the other high-end smartphones can come even close to the amount of resolved detail that the huge pixel-dense sensor and the 6-element ZEISS lens deliver. The dynamic range is also much higher than any other flagship can offer.

Just like the still images, the videos produced by the Lumia 1020 are beyond the capabilities of any other smartphone on the market. The detail levels are top notch, the colors are extremely pleasing and the dynamic range simply cannot be achieved with a smaller sensor.

Nokia Lumia 1020 preview: Take two - GSMArena.com

so what? GSMArena compared it to other phones here not 808.

"In case of Low-light images even 808 doesn't come closer to Lumia 1020. "

lol why you don't show us those low light images from 1020 that 808 couldn't come close to?! It's actually very very opposite...

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no such thing as a "standard 5MP photo" all 5MP are oversampled.

There is such a thing as "standard 5MP photo". The setting is listed as "JPEG 5MP" I believe. The others example is "JPEG 5MP (+34MP)", but the high number depends on the aspect ratio.

Please can someone with a 1020 please upload a pic of the camera resolution settings just to show what's available? Thanks.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
There is going to be tons of comparisons bethween 808 and 1020, so the truth about better IQ will be soon revealed. At this point i see that this depate isn't going anywhere until we see side by side comparisons of same scenery taken with both devices.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
There is going to be tons of comparisons bethween 808 and 1020, so the truth about better IQ will be soon revealed. At this point i see that this depate isn't going anywhere until we see side by side comparisons of same scenery taken with both devices.

Exactly, just wait a while. 1020 will get smashed by 808. iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 will most likely beat it in daylight photos.

1020 is a night camera, like 920, 925. Their daylight images are terrible. If you plan on going on holidays and only taking night photos then get a Lumia, otherwise, iPhone or Galaxy.

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I think basing the purchase of the device purely on one aspect of it (the camera) is a bit wrong to be honest. "If you are going to take pictures during the day then don't buy the lumia" is a bit harsh. That's almost like saying that the quality is so bad there is no point in using the camera at all, therefore omitting it from the spec. Wrong wrong wrong.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, just wait a while. 1020 will get smashed by 808. iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 will most likely beat it in daylight photos.

1020 is a night camera, like 920, 925. Their daylight images are terrible. If you plan on going on holidays and only taking night photos then get a Lumia, otherwise, iPhone or Galaxy.

Hey troll, read what GSMArena has to say about Lumia 1020 smashing all other smartphones left,right and centre.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1020_preview-review-952p7.php

As far as image quality is concerned, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is really in a class of its own. None of the other high-end smartphones can come even close to the amount of resolved detail that the huge pixel-dense sensor and the 6-element ZEISS lens deliver. The dynamic range is also much higher than any other flagship can offer. At full resolution (38 MP or 34MP) the noise levels are comparable to those of the 13MP Galaxy S4, which is a pretty great achievement given how much more detail you get.

Now, rush to your master and beg for you salary as your master samsung is really scared of Lumia 1020!!

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
so what? GSMArena compared it to other phones here not 808.

"In case of Low-light images even 808 doesn't come closer to Lumia 1020. "

lol why you don't show us those low light images from 1020 that 808 couldn't come close to?! It's actually very very opposite...

Loved your devotion for 808 PureView. But so what? Facts are facts. 808 has a successor. You must understand that you will get better video, low-light imaging with Lumia 1020 with similar level of details in daylight. So, is it a big deal? Yes, if you are on a 808 and you have your next phone in sight like, me. If you don't own a 808 pureview and just want to troll, keep going on..........

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If these were uploaded to the internet, wouldn't they be oversampled 5MP samples?

The ACTUAL 35/38MP shot would be a lot better, I'm not particularly worried about the 1020's camera.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If these were uploaded to the internet, wouldn't they be oversampled 5MP samples?

The ACTUAL 35/38MP shot would be a lot better, I'm not particularly worried about the 1020's camera.

NO!

5MP images are supposed to provide the best quality. That's the whole idea of oversampling. Multiple pixels are combined into one and all the noise, grain and other negatives are filtred out.

If 5MP are bad, which they are, then 38MP images will definitely be bad.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Loved your devotion for 808 PureView. But so what? Facts are facts. 808 has a successor. You must understand that you will get better video, low-light imaging with Lumia 1020 with similar level of details in daylight. So, is it a big deal? Yes, if you are on a 808 and you have your next phone in sight like, me. If you don't own a 808 pureview and just want to troll, keep going on..........

actually I had this phone in sight until I saw the samples(and specs including sensor size/type etc.)... again, why you don't show us those low-light pictures from 1020 that you claim are better than 808 would do?!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
NO!

5MP images are supposed to provide the best quality. That's the whole idea of oversampling. Multiple pixels are combined into one and all the noise, grain and other negatives are filtred out.

If 5MP are bad, which they are, then 38MP images will definitely be bad.

I do not get how that works, I mean sure, i get the fact that the 5MP shot would look better than the 38MP shot.

IF you edit it.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
actually I had this phone in sight until I saw the samples(and specs including sensor size/type etc.)... again, why you don't show us those low-light pictures from 1020 that you claim are better than 808 would do?!

Same here. Had high hopes for this phone, and then found out about the sensor size and samples got posted... nope.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb