I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
sorry if this has been mentioned, but i got slightly more optimistic about the 1020 when i saw that hot air balloon picture, looked cleaner than most, when i looked at the exif data, instead of the usual, previous model identifier saying: "Lumia 1020" the air balloon pic says "id300" - whats all that about? :)

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
There is such a thing as "standard 5MP photo". The setting is listed as "JPEG 5MP" I believe. The others example is "JPEG 5MP (+34MP)", but the high number depends on the aspect ratio.

Please can someone with a 1020 please upload a pic of the camera resolution settings just to show what's available? Thanks.

I can't upload pictures through the WP app (I must be doing something wrong, I can't imagine it would be missing this huge feature) but in 16:9 it is 5MP or 5 MP+34MP and in 4:3 it is 5 MP or 5MP+38MP

kalel_1000

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Loved your devotion for 808 PureView. But so what? Facts are facts. 808 has a successor. You must understand that you will get better video, low-light imaging with Lumia 1020 with similar level of details in daylight. So, is it a big deal? Yes, if you are on a 808 and you have your next phone in sight like, me. If you don't own a 808 pureview and just want to troll, keep going on..........

No. I will bet you 100 dollars right now that the 1020 will get SMASHED in the daylight by the 808.

Everything will become clear in a weeks time but I am calling it right now, the 1020 will get absolutely destroyed by an year old, Symbian running phone.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
sorry if this has been mentioned, but i got slightly more optimistic about the 1020 when i saw that hot air balloon picture, looked cleaner than most, when i looked at the exif data, instead of the usual, previous model identifier saying: "Lumia 1020" the air balloon pic says "id300" - whats all that about? :)

Its the cleanest one so far...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ I looked trough your gallery, and I feel like some of the 5mpix shots there are in fact zoomed in, which takes away from the IQ.. despite the "loseless" claims from Nokia.. its the same with the 808

Your analysis is absolutely, completely wrong.

If you're complain about those pictures, analyse these photos and tell us what you think...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/9336623499_c2302f2028_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3748/9336660697_c3f30e8134_o.jpg

Are these zoomed in.. some shots are great, others not so much.. I don't get it.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
^ I looked trough your gallery, and I feel like some of the 5mpix shots there are in fact zoomed in, which takes away from the IQ.. despite the "loseless" claims from Nokia.. its the same with the 808

Are these zoomed in.. some shots are great, others not so much.. I don't get it.

Some of them are zoomed, some are not.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
actually I had this phone in sight until I saw the samples(and specs including sensor size/type etc.)... again, why you don't show us those low-light pictures from 1020 that you claim are better than 808 would do?!

Sure, but here is the deal!! You show me one side by side comparison of daylight image of same scene captured with Lumia 1020 and 808, where 808 does better than Lumia 1020 and I promise I will produce 20, where Lumia 1020 beats it in low-light..

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been mentioned ad nauseum, BUT this entire conversation is pretty fruitless. The yolk is on nobody, the people who preordered (me) will have a month to figure out if the phone's camera works for them, the reviewers will start publishing way before that month is up so there will be plenty of (hopefully) non-biased information and comparisons coming out soon after it ships and if the camera is crap it will be readily apparent both to myself, and to everyone else who preordered. End of story. Comparing two completely different photos taken in completely different lighting situations by completely different photographers using completely different settings on completely different cameras is going to lead to completely different results and is as unscientific as one can get.

kopi22

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I do not get how that works, I mean sure, i get the fact that the 5MP shot would look better than the 38MP shot.

IF you edit it.

If I'm not mistaken, is 7 pixels into 1 pixel on a 5MP photo. If a 5MP photo is still looking bad, then I will doubt how good a 1-1 pixel of 35MP photo will be.

kennedya

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
LOL, I'm just loving the excuses. Every image delivers a blow of unpleasant reality to you and are desperately trying to convince yourselves that 1020 still takes good pictures. "But, but Nokia will fix it in an update", "But, but 1020 is an enthusiast camera"... weren't you claiming it was a mainstream camera and 808 was an enthusiast camera no one knew about?

FACT: It does not take good pictures.

Show me a single 1020 pictures that looks as good as this...

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/samsung/gt_i9505/201306052006895vM5.jpg

Or this,

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/apple/iphone_5/201307211927KvO7cz.jpg

1020 seems to only perform decently in very low night, even then there is grain and noise. Daylight pictures though, are hopeless, they are simply atrocious.

These two photos are incredible. This was kind of what I was hoping for. Is such results not possible with the 1020? Is it a result of the hardware not being as good or the software not being tweaked enough or just not being in the hands of professionals?

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but here is the deal!! You show me one side by side comparison of daylight image of same scene captured with Lumia 1020 and 808, where 808 does better than Lumia 1020 and I promise I will produce 20, where Lumia 1020 beats it in low-light..

why it has to be the same scene? You can clearly see the difference from similar scenes. Unless you believe that all 1020 pictures are actually taken in very bad conditions...

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
These two photos are incredible. This was kind of what I was hoping for. Is such results not possible with the 1020? Is it a result of the hardware not being as good or the software not being tweaked enough or just not being in the hands of professionals?

it's about hardware, 1020 has worse sensor and doesn't have dedicated DSP for oversampling

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
No. I will bet you 100 dollars right now that the 1020 will get SMASHED in the daylight by the 808.

Everything will become clear in a weeks time but I am calling it right now, the 1020 will get absolutely destroyed by an year old, Symbian running phone.

Yes that maybe so but every phone gets destroyed by the 808 camera yet is still running symbian for Nokia is their feature phone OS and not their smartphone OS. I rather use the 1020 which still has better pics than every other smartphone, from what I saw on Paventos flicker, the 5 mp shots pack a lot of quality, the best I have seen compared to the S4, iphone 5 and HTC One, which a re the top players in here, for me the comparison with the 808. Is pointless, it might have a better camera but thats about it, slower processor, lower resolution display and fewer apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720