I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I have an announcement to make: the 808 takes better pictures, but it doesn't matter.

Granted, the true beauty behind any photo is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, it's starting to become apparent that the 808 is a better shooter. Despite this, the 1020 still wins. Why? User experience.

Most people aren't really aware of the 808, so they won't even care about it. Also, the 808 is running a dead OS, even Nokia has given up on it. Symbian is going nowhere, it's a dead end OS and thus makes the 808 a dedicated camera pretty much, that just so happens to have a phone built in.

The 1020 still delivers the best photos and video out of any of the flagship devices (iPhone 5 Galaxy S4, HTC One, Blackberry Z10), and the 1020 is also the phone that consumers have been/will be exposed to the most.

Yes, it's true it doesn't pack as great of a punch as the 808 or a dSLR, but that's ok. This phone wins in that it delivers a great overall experience.

It comes in a nice, thin package, runs perhaps the most stable phone OS of all time, lots of app support, a plethora of Nokia extras, wireless charging (with a separate backplate... Sad face), 4G LTE, you name it. So what this phone lacks in terms of camera capability, it more than makes up for in everything else.

If you're going to pick an 808 over this device, you're crazy. You're giving up an amazing user experience for the sake of a camera (which a nice, high-end dSLR can still easily beat out).

Unlike the 808, this isn't meant /just/ for photos, rather, it's a hybrid. Pack a whooping camera in to an astounding OS, and make consumers happy. It's the bed the both worlds: a great camera in the shell of a beautiful Nokia Windows Phone 8 device.

Trying to compare the 1020 and 808 is like comparing apples to oranges: we have a flagship phone being compared to a niche device. We have a well rounded product compared to a device for dedicated, hardcore photographers.

Please, let the violence end. Based on he samples I've seen, the 1020 blows other flagships out of the water. Yes, I could get better pics with an 808, but for everyday life, the 1020 will be the much better choice.

The 1020 is more than a worthy upgrade from my aging Lumia 900, and I eagerly await for my new phone to arrive (along with the free camera grip Microsoft threw in!).

So I hope that I may act as the voice of reason, and instead of having a fandom war, I hope to come together so that we may collaborate and discuss.

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I have an announcement to make: the 808 takes better pictures, but it doesn't matter.

Granted, the true beauty behind any photo is in the eye of the beholder, but for me, it's starting to become apparent that the 808 is a better shooter. Despite this, the 1020 still wins. Why? User experience.

Most people aren't really aware of the 808, so they won't even care about it. Also, the 808 is running a dead OS, even Nokia has given up on it. Symbian is going nowhere, it's a dead end OS and thus makes the 808 a dedicated camera pretty much, that just so happens to have a phone built in.

The 1020 still delivers the best photos and video out of any of the flagship devices (iPhone 5 Galaxy S4, HTC One, Blackberry Z10), and the 1020 is also the phone that consumers have been/will be exposed to the most.

Yes, it's true it doesn't pack as great of a punch as the 808 or a dSLR, but that's ok. This phone wins in that it delivers a great overall experience.

It comes in a nice, thin package, runs perhaps the most stable phone OS of all time, lots of app support, a plethora of Nokia extras, wireless charging (with a separate backplate... Sad face), 4G LTE, you name it. So what this phone lacks in terms of camera capability, it more than makes up for in everything else.

If you're going to pick an 808 over this device, you're crazy. You're giving up an amazing user experience for the sake of a camera (which a nice, high-end dSLR can still easily beat out).

Unlike the 808, this isn't meant /just/ for photos, rather, it's a hybrid. Pack a whooping camera in to an astounding OS, and make consumers happy. It's the bed the both worlds: a great camera in the shell of a beautiful Nokia Windows Phone 8 device.

Trying to compare the 1020 and 808 is like comparing apples to oranges: we have a flagship phone being compared to a niche device. We have a well rounded product compared to a device for dedicated, hardcore photographers.

Please, let the violence end. Based on he samples I've seen, the 1020 blows other flagships out of the water. Yes, I could get better pics with an 808, but for everyday life, the 1020 will be the much better choice.

The 1020 is more than a worthy upgrade from my aging Lumia 900, and I eagerly await for my new phone to arrive (along with the free camera grip Microsoft threw in!).

So I hope that I may act as the voice of reason, and instead of having a fandom war, I hope to come together so that we may collaborate and discuss.

I respect your opinion buddy. We all admit the 808 is very good, a class on its own, until the 1020 has arrived. We can check the sample images, scrutinize and comment but my advise is to keep your final judgement until a proper side by side comparison is done. I am pretty sure the results will be overwhelming. Again do not be swayed by some comments and opinions for now. Some of the observation here are completely wrong and just opinions by novice users, and some are just.. trolls.. Goodluck and enjoy!

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
These two photos are incredible. This was kind of what I was hoping for. Is such results not possible with the 1020? Is it a result of the hardware not being as good or the software not being tweaked enough or just not being in the hands of professionals?

It's a combination of both, but mostly software

HARDWARE

Smaller sensor than 808. 30% smaller! Sensor HUGELY important in producing good images!
No ND Filtre
Lenses - Rumour is 1020 uses 5 plastic lenses and only one glass

SOFTWARE

Now this is the main culprit IMO, because for example, iPhone and Galaxy(the photos above) both use considerably smaller sensors than 1020 but produce amazing results. If you compare all Lumia series, they all exhibit exactly the same traits - Grain, noise, oil painted look, over-processing. IMO, it's Nokia's algorithms, because Samsung's ATIV S for example produces great images that look very similar to Galaxy S III. Nokia on the other hand, terribly messed up their software.

Now, software is fixable, but don't let that gets your hopes up, because Nokia seems to think this crappy image quality is great and they don't seem to want to change and even if they wanted to, writing new algorithms is no joke. That's why Samsung, who has expertise in cameras makes great images, that's why it's amazing that Apple has managed to achieve in their iPhones, considering they have no "formal" camera expertise. Nokia had fantastic algorithms in Symbian, fine tuned for years, but software has never been Nokia's strong part, in fact it's always been their weakest... just look at Symbian(excluding the camera part of course), they messed up on Windows Phone and weren't able to port or replicate those great algorithms on WP. That's why Samsung and Apple are able to squeeze amazing results from their tiny cameras while Nokia's quality looks terrible even with a big sensor.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
What noise? Look at the 5MP oversampled image, almost completely clean. And it's not out of focus, it's just the focus is on that front plant.

I meant that close up flower shot is out of focus. If you download both other 5Mpix anf 38Mpix photos of that lake scene and then zoom in to 5Mpix and same level zoom in to that full res pic you notice that there is actually more noise in that 5Mpix shot. Look specially lower parts of those long leafed plants. I think Nokia ads noise in to those 5Mpix shot to make them look sharper instead of cleaning it up.

That fullres pic is quite clean now when i look closer it. But when you think of it those 5Mpix aren't meant to be zoomed and that noise filter they ad isn't noticed.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I surely hope to g*d that no one was expecting the 1020 to be better than a dslr camera
that would be ludicrous

I just expect a kick **** cameraphone that will take better shots than any cameraphone i have had in my past
which is why im paying nearly full price for this thing.

for instance, last weekend in the inlet a pod oh dolphins came by
as seen here
dolphin in inlet.jpg

now, had i been using the 1020, i wonder how much better this shot could have been including using the zoom after option.

this was taken with my GS3

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I surely hope to g*d that no one was expecting the 1020 to be better than a dslr camera
that would be ludicrous

I just expect a kick **** cameraphone that will take better shots than any cameraphone i have had in my past
which is why im paying nearly full price for this thing.

for instance, last weekend in the inlet a pod oh dolphins came by
as seen here
View attachment 37864

now, had i been using the 1020, i wonder how much better this shot could have been including using the zoom after option.

this was taken with my GS3

That looks better than what 1020 would be able to give you, and Galaxy S4 would look even better.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
when all is said and done
everything in this thread has been based on some sample photos taken by one individual

the true test will occur soon by the mass populace
and this could reveal good (i hope) or bad things

the best thing to do is be patient, and not make assumptions until the phone is released and tested by thousands.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

You are right for most of your post, but remember that it will differ in everyone's opinion of the OS. For example, I LOVE WP, but it takes too much time from me. When I had my 620 (amazing btw), I used it all the time i was like those teenagers that never stop looking at their phones. Therefore, I felt the need to change and use a phone that it was more... well.. a phone that's why I bought the N8 from "The Marketplace." I am in love with these device the pictures are Amazing!! and Symbian still holds its own to be a "dead OS". Its responsive enough, battery lasts forever (for the smartphone category) and well its more a phone, not an entertainment device like most smartphones nowadays. Now I am looking forward to buy a CAMERA phone and I was debating whether to get the 1020 and have the whole package a phone and camera or buy an 808 and a L52x. Price wise I have found that it will be cheaper because it will cost me $450 for both a great cameraphone and a WP8 device both unlocked and ready to use on T-mo and not to have to wait for unlock codes for 6 months on a $659 phone.. I think that Nokia has to release a variant for T-mo and VZ in order to capture more users. Don't you think? I mean i am willing to spend the full price for the phone, but AT&T is so EVIL that they will not give me the Unlock code (it takes forever)

The answer is IT ALWAYS DEPENDS ON YOUR CASE!! Mine PVW 808 + L52X..

T-mo users take the risk and try to unlock

VZW users are screwed unless they release a variant

BTW I think that Cod3rr IS exaggerating (TROLL) when he says that the 1020 is garbage.. Dude the pictures are great, yes its no PVW 808, but still its a great device that takes good enough pictures for your "instagram needs" lol

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
GS4 should not even be mentioned in the discussion comparing 1020 and 808. I smell something fishy(samsung) around here.

Dude he IS a TROLL, just review his posts on this thread.. All he says is.. "1020 is garbage, GS4 and Iphone5 are better"

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ignorant post

care elaborate?

it does, for many of us

Also, the 808 is running a dead OS, even Nokia has given up on it. Symbian is going nowhere, it's a dead end OS and thus makes the 808 a dedicated camera pretty much, that just so happens to have a phone built in.

Symbian had more updates in 2013 than WP...so get your facts straight, also 808 has many useful features WP phones has not

Dude he IS a TROLL, just review his posts on this thread.. All he says is.. "1020 is garbage, GS4 and Iphone5 are better"

yes he is, the bad thing is Nokia did such a "good" job that he is sometimes right...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb