I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I had hoped to take pictures at the Mets game tonight but it is raining and since I have to return the phone on Wednesday I don't want to break it! As it clears up I'll shoot some and post when I get home. Sorry.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I have been analyzing all of the pictures today, and I found out that yes they are grainy in most cases, BUT if you really look at the object in focus, which I did with several tools and zooming in, it is completely CLEAR, NO GRAIN, NO FLAWS, ITS PERFECT. I think that the algorithm that they used with the 1020 is totally different to the 808 because the pureview "Magic" is non present in the 5MP pictures. They are just very good 5MP pictures. Also, have this pictures been taking with the CAMERA PRO app from Nokia? Could it be that the oversampling only works with the Camera Pro app and not with the regular camera?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I have been analyzing all of the pictures today, and I found out that yes they are grainy in most cases, BUT if you really look at the object in focus, which I did with several tools and zooming in, it is completely CLEAR, NO GRAIN, NO FLAWS, ITS PERFECT. I think that the algorithm that they used with the 1020 is totally different to the 808 because the pureview "Magic" is non present in the 5MP pictures. They are just very good 5MP pictures. Also, have this pictures been taking with the CAMERA PRO app from Nokia? Could it be that the oversampling only works with the Camera Pro app and not with the regular camera?

I know that not all of mine were taken with the app. If you see a photo that doesn't have the 34MP duplicate that says 'hi res' it means it was taken with the regular camera app or another app.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a ton, the photos are starting to look better. The 1020 doesn't look nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be, and it definitely triumphs the 920's camera. No question.

Thanks so much for the pics, the quality is really starting to get better, keep 'em coming!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For those living in a small world who don't acknowledge that anything but Nokia phones exist, 920 comparisons may be good enough. But in the real world, there's a sea of smartphones with better cameras than the 920, and the 1020 needs to be able to trump those slim, sexy, less expensive, and far more powerful smartphones in the camera department to justify its very existence. It's already been established time and time again by mainstream non-Nokia *** kissing phone review sites both large and small that the 920 has one of the weakest daylight capabilities of any smartphone. You can tell an image was taken by the 920 because its blurry and edges are always poorly defined, even at high noon. Saying that you shouldn't introduce Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5 pics to compare is like saying the 1020 is so bad it can't compete directly and instead needs to find an uglier cousin to stand next to. Many of the images do look better than the 920, but my old 8MP Note 2 really spanks the 1020 on sharpness and non-fuzzy detail. Can't imagine how much spanking the 13MP Galaxy S4 will give it, or the new iPhone 5S with 13MP. The only reason why I don't have the S4 right now is because I was waiting out for months in anticipation for the 1020. Talk about a cruel joke. I might as well wait for the LG G2, Sony Honami, and Note 3 before deciding on my next phone.

Part of the problem right now is that, it seems to only people who've gotten their hands on a 1020 only have a 920 to compare to, if any device at all. Rest assured, once this phone launches, there will be a plethora of comparisons on every tech site known to man, comparing the 1020 to other Lumias, the S4, iPhone 5, PureView 808, etc.

Until then, let's be patient and indulge in these already more than excellent photos produced by the 1020.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing that the 1020 nails the white balance and the levels of contrast overall.. I think its better than the 808 in that regard.

So.. I took the liberty to take one of the full resolution iimages posted in the thread, and downscale it down to 5Mpix..

This is a very clean image, it made me smile : )

https://9nzc2q.dm1.livefilestore.co...W0bnpCYAWz3a1kO9cTkIBcLPi07lh4wg_0hA/flor.jpg

Why is that you guys cannot wait for another week to make conclusions?. katamari201 - Pls bite your tongue for a week and we will all know if 1020 beats 808 now or few updates later.. Remember 808 was 5 years in making and when it launched, it was fully ready. I am sure Nokia had to release 1020 urgently with so many copy cats showing up.. with different technologies.. so either come out now and sort out software in a few months or just forever be the one who release projects which came out later.

808 is a dead end phone.. no body buys it other than that few crazy guys. 1020 is the present and future. Pple didn't want to buy 808 due to Symbian. They were waiting for 1020.. 808 can be the king which no one bothers.

I think a lot of what they learned during the 808 development is applied on the 1020... there is a reason why they chose 41Mpix for it ; )

And, there are few out there, but some of us actually bought the 808 because it runs on Symbian..and it has a good camera.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to take a few photos on the golf course (very hazy out) and then some at the Mets game. They're uploading to Flickr now and should be accessible from the earlier link in a few minutes. I'll try to answer any questions in the morning!

Edit: There are a few of the outfielder because from our view it looked like he either had something on his pants or they were ripped. I was able to take a photo and zoom and we figured it out. Everyone was blown away by the post photo zoom.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
At this point this thread has become pretty useless to read. Trolls and trashing of every photo these guys kindly put up for us. Time to stop looking at this thread.

Thanks for the photos. I'm just going to wait for my 1020. If its at the very least, better than my 920, I'll be happy. If it just so happens to be the best camera phone available currently, then that'll be even better.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
At this point this thread has become pretty useless to read. Trolls and trashing of every photo these guys kindly put up for us. Time to stop looking at this thread.

Thanks for the photos. I'm just going to wait for my 1020. If its at the very least, better than my 920, I'll be happy. If it just so happens to be the best camera phone available currently, then that'll be even better.

I'm in the same boat in terms of expectations and I definitely prefer this to my 920.

bcolton

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I certainly am more hesitant now, and am glad to have read this thread because I cancelled my pre-order last night from AT&T. The camera was certainly something that was potentially going to lure me away from Android, and possibly still may, but I'll wait on professional reviews and comparisons before an impulse purchase.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I certainly am more hesitant now, and am glad to have read this thread because I cancelled my pre-order last night from AT&T. The camera was certainly something that was potentially going to lure me away from Android, and possibly still may, but I'll wait on professional reviews and comparisons before an impulse purchase.

Smart move.

But I can tell you with confidence that nothing else will come close to this camera in terms of overall performance.. it will give you acceptable results no matter the situation, where .. any other phone will give you a blurry photo at the bar, or a ****ty sound recording at that concert.. or.. lots unpleasant noise in low light...

But ya.. I would wait for some reviews as well. We are all comparing to the 808, because nothing else comes close.

bygbyron3

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait on professional reviews and comparisons before an impulse purchase.
Nobody should be dissuaded from purcahsing the 1020 from amatuer photos on an internet forum pre-release, but also remember some professional phone reviewers are clueless about cameras and photography, which was evident from 808 reviews.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Quite honestly, I'm glad that you guys are sitting here debating over 20 pages about pictures. If they too grainy to you dont buy the phone.

Can we learn more about this phone besides the camera? This is an AMA.

1. So how is IPS compared to ClearBlack Amoled?

2. How is the glance feature? Does it really drain that much battery if set on?

3. How easy of use is the Nokia Pro App? Has anybody tried taking a Panoramic picture?

4. Battery life? Games with the 2gb Ram is it noticeably smoother?

Let's get some variations in this useful thread instead of bickering over pictures. This is a phone still right? Or are we just talking about a camera here?

josemon

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Quite honestly, I'm glad that you guys are sitting here debating over 20 pages about pictures. If they too grainy to you dont buy the phone.

Can we learn more about this phone besides the camera? This is an AMA.

1. So how is IPS compared to ClearBlack Amoled?

2. How is the glance feature? Does it really drain that much battery if set on?

3. How easy of use is the Nokia Pro App? Has anybody tried taking a Panoramic picture?

4. Battery life? Games with the 2gb Ram is it noticeably smoother?

Let's get some variations in this useful thread instead of bickering over pictures. This is a phone still right? Or are we just talking about a camera here?

I like the photos.we not are talking about any digital cameras..dat was really correct..becz they are well aware of the product..they want to just troll...

Idiocracy_izruts

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Man those images from the game are simply awesome! To me that thread has run it's course in terms of comparisons with the 808 : definitely different approaches to postprocessing the images on those two. But the 1020 stands it's ground and produces extremely pleasant and clean 5mp shots. Look at the detail on the ones taken IN THE RAIN on the pitch. Even the notorious noise levels are low. Amazing stuff really. Color reproduction is unseen of too!

lostaggie

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I also cancelled my preorder and am waiting to see some real reviews. I have an iPhone 5 now so the camera on it is satisfactory. Really wanting this to be a hit but for $299 I am going to err on the side of caution.

If it had been $99 it would be no brainer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium