I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
First side-to-side comparison between 808 and 1020 (cropped)

EXIF 808
Camera Nokia 808 PureView
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.4
Focal Length 8 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

EXIF 1020
Camera Nokia Lumia 1020
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.2
ISO Speed 160
Exposure Bias 0 EV

(both flash off)

808_1020 2.jpg

Check MNB for the full images
Nokia Lumia 1020: Quick Hands On! : My Nokia Blog

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmm interesting comparison...i'm not really big into photography, but they both look acceptable to me. The font looks more clear to me on the 1020, but there's also more noise. Also, why is there a blue tint on the 1020? Just some thoughts from an untrained eye...

josemon

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What I want to know is, do the pictures still look good after you zoom in. Case in point, on my 920 when you zoom in and take a photo the picture comes out looking grainy and tired looking. Is that the case here? I really would like a phone to be able to zoom in before the shot and still look great after the shot. That was one of my main complaints with my 920 camera, could never really zoom in.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
What I want to know is, do the pictures still look good after you zoom in. Case in point, on my 920 when you zoom in and take a photo the picture comes out looking grainy and tired looking. Is that the case here? I really would like a phone to be able to zoom in before the shot and still look great after the shot. That was one of my main complaints with my 920 camera, could never really zoom in.
The 920 has NO ZOOM.

Spinefarm

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Made an account to see the pictures posted here, but I figured I'd post one as well. Not one taken with a 1020, but a dslr.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3964/mg4799.jpg

Pictures can be grainy with expensive hardware with a low ISO as well if the photographer doesn't know what he's doing. You should wait for someone who's actually knowledgeable about these things without raging about IQ. Hopefully Nokia sends a few review phones to some photography sites.

Bigsensor

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This "Digital Zoom" is not a Zoom in a Photographs viewpoint.
You can zoom digital 999x and it's still the same data which get worse and worse.

Than you can stop talking about zoom, because there is no such thing as an optical zoom available.

Your viewpoint is not a "photographers" viewpoint. I don't want to miss the "clear view" zoom
on the Sony RX100 which is entering even the DSLR segment. There is no need to talk
about "999 x" nonsense.

The 808 has more "zoom potential", however the story about "lossless zoom" is a fairy tale,
since the resolution of details drops by closing in on the native pixel level which is on a
24 inch screen in regualr view not hard to detect.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Than you can stop talking about zoom, because there is no such thing as an optical zoom available.
No Optical Zoom available? There are so much Cameras with Optical Zoom available on the market. There are even mobiles with an Optical Zoom. Even "your" Sony RX100 has an Optical Zoom.
Are you sure, you talk about the right thing?
The Lumia 920 has no Zoom, just a function called "Digital Zoom", which has nothing to do with a real Zoom. The "PureView-Zoom" of 1020/808 is again another story.

Bigsensor

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
No Optical Zoom available? There are so much Cameras with Optical Zoom available on the market. There are even mobiles with an Optical Zoom. Even "your" Sony RX100 has an Optical Zoom.
Are you sure, you talk about the right thing?
The Lumia 920 has no Zoom, just a function called "Digital Zoom", which has nothing to do with a real Zoom. The "PureView-Zoom" of 1020/808 is again another story.

How could I forget that my RX100, Lumix LX7, G11 and Canon EF Zooms are magnifying the subject in front of the lens in an optical way. We are talking here about the Lumia series and
many times about the comparison with the 808 and each model has it's own approach to zoom into a scene, of course without any change to the DOF, compared to optical zooms.
The difference is the loss of resolution which can be measured for each Lumia and 808.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
After seeing the stadium pics, I feel a lot more comfortable owning Nokia stock. I might even consider buying more after those pics. I will most certainly hold the photographer responsible for post purchase price performance.

Is player number 6, Byrd, the guy with the hole in his pants, or whatever it was?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 808 has more "zoom potential", however the story about "lossless zoom" is a fairy tale,
since the resolution of details drops by closing in on the native pixel level which is on a
24 inch screen in regualr view not hard to detect.

True.. without oversampling we go down to 1:1 pixel ratio and it looks like any other 1.4 micron jpeg out there.

This is always a very good visual of what goes on with this system

7l7JUaz.jpg

Any device with a zoom lens will do better.

The advantage is that it allows for a very compact design, works better than traditional digital zoom, its smooth, and its silent.

Works better in video than it does for stills.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
People who complain about noise in 1020 5Mpix images don't know that it is Nokias new approach how they process those downsampled images. It is different how they process images in 808. If you look fullres images from 1020 you see that noise which is present in 5Mpix images isn't present in full res images. You don't see that noise if you don't zoom in to them. For me it works well and images look good.

That comparison bethween 808 and 1020 posted earlier, 1020 looks more pleasant to eye look at.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss