I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
First side-to-side comparison between 808 and 1020 (cropped)

EXIF 808
Camera Nokia 808 PureView
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.4
Focal Length 8 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

EXIF 1020
Camera Nokia Lumia 1020
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.2
ISO Speed 160
Exposure Bias 0 EV

(both flash off)

View attachment 37907

Check MNB for the full images
Nokia Lumia 1020: Quick Hands On! : My Nokia Blog

Thanks a ton, really nice comparison!

The text looks a little clearer on the 1020, but it does look a bit noisy. I guess one could always correct that via post processing, should it be of dire-enough need. The 1020 does have a bit more of a cooler, bluer tint. Did the table look white in real life? If so, the 1020 matches, and the PureView is too warm.

However, if the lighting of the room gave the table a warmer accent to it, then the PureView wins.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
JustToClarify said:
hmm yeah it's a little bit visible in sky but don't forget it's 8 MP photo (compared to 5 on 1020) and I compare it to 1020 pictures not smooth 808 5 MP photos :) so it's all relative..and I don't think you can smooth it that easily, I mean it's easier to sharpen the photo to your liking than to smooth it back to look natural because you can't always remember how natural looked like...

I'd say it's a little more than "a little bit visible" LOL...it's glaringly obvious even zoomed out all the way in windows photo viewer. But eye of the beholder and all that I suppose..though I have say this shot basically replicates the behavior of the 1020 from what we've seen. And your comment regarding can't always remember how natural looked like cuts both ways in sharpening and smoothing. You do both "to your liking" and is always subjective. However, from a mathematical viewpoint, it's easier to sharpen and then smooth than it is to smooth and then sharpen as far more information is lost in the smoothing process. It's like a hash function...works easy one way but hard the other. For instance, in this photo, the ground and plants look great in the super-sharp view, but the sky is a mess. The sharpening algorithm was looking for differences to accentuate when there really weren't any so it made some up like the good little helper it is. So, just apply a mask in photoshop to the sky section and soften it up leaving the rest untouched. Money. I know what sky is supposed to look like...a continuum of blue and white not discrete blocks. But if the photo had started super-soft out of the camera (like launch-date 920 pics), I'd never be able to get that level of detail in the plants and nearby ground with a sharpening filter, even though the sky would look "natural" from the get-go. All the pertinent detail data would have already been thrown away and there wouldn't be much left to sharpen unless I wanted to make ASCII art out of it. Like trying to cut length off a 2x4 after it's proven to be too short and wondering why it still doesn't fit :p

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I know many of you aren't interested in more photos but i was pretty impressed with some low lights from this evening. I'll post tonight.

kopi22

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I know many of you aren't interested in more photos but i was pretty impressed with some low lights from this evening. I'll post tonight.

Yes please..... After all the arguments, I really wanna take a look at the performance of night shots. Thanks!

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
They're uploading to my Flickr now. Unfortunately the phone dropped out if my pocket while I was sitting and the screen cracked. To say I'm screwed is an understatement...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
They're uploading to my Flickr now. Unfortunately the phone dropped out if my pocket while I was sitting and the screen cracked. To say I'm screwed is an understatement...

Required to return it, I imagine? Real shame. I'll keep that in mind, guess it's time to order a case.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Wow man, I am really sorry that happened. I appreciate all the trouble you have been going through to help the community get an early peak. I might have wished that on some of the trolls, but you have been helpful and straight up with your opinions.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just went to my local Microsoft Store this evening so as to preorder my Lumia 1020 (I had a couple of concerns when it came to the contract, so I wanted to discuss the matter in person).

Well, first off, the Microsoft Store is an amazing place, and the employees were educated, trained, and very professional. It made my first visit there a pleasurable experience, I certainly won't mind needing to return there, should an issue arise.

Anyways, more on point, after the great service and preordering the device, they let me play with the store's demo unit. I was immediately blown away by how comfortable it was to hold.

It's thinner and lighter than my Lumia 900, the camera bulge didn't get in the way of holding it naturally. The screen was amazing in terms of clarity and responsiveness, and the Nokia Glance screen looks like a feature I'd like to further explore.

Hen we get to the Pro Camera software. I didn't get much time to play with the phone, only a matter of minutes, but it still made an impression. The interface is easy to pick up, with its intuitive sliders. It was still a little bit awkward trying to figure out what they do and fine tuning them, but once I get it for real, I suspect I would only need 10minutes to master the display. I didn't get to use the tutorial, so perhaps that will be of help.

Anyways, coming from a Lumia 900, the build and comfort of holding the device alone is enough too switch, plus the great responsive, clear screen, and all the other great features of Windows Phone 8. That doesn't even factor in the camera, which I think takes some very nice shots.

Bottom line, if you're looking to upgrade any Windows Phone 7.X device, and can dish out the $300-$700, /this/ is the phone to get.

And if one must have the latest and greatest, I'm sure this will still please anyone using a 920.

Can't wait till Friday, I'll be zooming into the Store to pick up ASAP (pun intended).

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
WIN_20130723_182447.JPG
Wow man, I am really sorry that happened. I appreciate all the trouble you have been going through to help the community get an early peak. I might have wished that on some of the trolls, but you have been helpful and straight up with your opinions.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I have to return it and will use the pre-order product to replace this one. Too bad as I enjoyed having it for a few days. I was sitting in a chair and it fell out of my pocket onto a brick floor. I don't know if my 920 would have survived but I'll say this-I've dropped it a lot of timesand never had a screen break. Here is a picture but doesn't show the full extent.

I'm also attaching a comparison photo of the Glenfiddich bottle taken with an iPhone 5. The 1020 is one of the ones on Flickr. HUGE difference IMO.

iPhone5:image.jpg

1020 5MPWP_20130723_20_37_24_Pro.jpg

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ I've been saying that it will destroy any other phone bar one...

The iPhone 5 is awful after the sun goes down.. the LED "flash" is only good at being a flashlight, the focusing is very slow, and the noise at anything over 400 destroys the image.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 37951
Thanks, I appreciate that. I have to return it and will use the pre-order product to replace this one. Too bad as I enjoyed having it for a few days. I was sitting in a chair and it fell out of my pocket onto a brick floor. I don't know if my 920 would have survived but I'll say this-I've dropped it a lot of timesand never had a screen break. Here is a picture but doesn't show the full extent.

Its all in the way it drops. Most phones can withstand most drops, but once it drops in that one area where its weakest, it can break anything, even a Nokia. Sorry to hear that happened sir. I hope all goes well.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Dear WP Central,

You should consider setting up a Paypal for donations to replace Pavvento's broken 1020.
I would definity make a donation. It really is the least you could do considering how much traffic his and other early owners sample shots and initial thoughts have driven to your site.

-Frank

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm also attaching a comparison photo of the Glenfiddich bottle taken with an iPhone 5. The 1020 is one of the ones on Flickr. HUGE difference IMO.

iPhone5:View attachment 37952

1020 5MPView attachment 37953

Wow, that is a MASSIVE difference, incredible! This must be shown to all the trolls who tried proclaiming the iPhone 5 to wield a better camera than the titan that is the Lumia 1020!

Thanks so much for this picture and all the others, you've been of great help, and really contributed to this thread! It's a real shame about the phone, sorry to hear it cracked.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Dear WP Central,

You should consider setting up a Paypal for donations to replace Pavvento's broken 1020.
I would definity make a donation. It really is the least you could do considering how much traffic his and other early owners sample shots and initial thoughts have driven to your site.

-Frank

Thanks a lot Frank. obviously that would be absolutely amazing, but not expected by any stretch of the imagination. I'm one of those weird people that believes everything happens for a reason, hopefully someone who read this thread will be a little more careful with their phone in their pocket than I was and it will save them the trouble and expense!

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is a MASSIVE difference, incredible! This must be shown to all the trolls who tried proclaiming the iPhone 5 to wield a better camera than the titan that is the Lumia 1020!

Thanks so much for this picture and all the others, you've been of great help, and really contributed to this thread! It's a real shame about the phone, sorry to hear it cracked.

Thanks. It should also be noted that both of these are without flash on. I was absolutely stunned (as was my family) with how light the photo was. The bottle and table was a lot easier to see in the photo than with our own two eyes!

psinferno

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
First reviews are coming in...Engadget, BGR. They are all impressed by the camera.
I'm really jealous of those of you living in the US. We have to wait like 5-8 more weeks here in Europe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss