I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 AMA

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally think this is one of the few shots the 1020 beats the 808 outright. I will take clarity but grain in the background over softness on the focus point but lack of grain. It's far more difficult to improve softness on an image than noise because you can't add detail. In post production I (as a designer) can easily clean up the background of that shot and add more blur, but I would be hard pressed to improve the image quality of either. Actually my issue with most 808 shots compared to the 1020 is how soft the image is compared to the 1020. I give the slight advantage to the 808 in distance shots and low light shots using flash for the most part (from what Ive seen) all settings on auto. The problem is, the AI is different so different results will be had. I am inclined to think the proof will be in the manual manipulation. I can't wait to see a comparison from someone who shoots with the manual settings and knows both phone's weaknesses and strengths. I think both will be very similar while still maintaining separate strengths over the other.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
One other thing to note, your example of the lady's face is exactly why I think Nokia used the processing algorithms they used because I can almost assure you 90% of the phone's users would select the picture on the left as the "better" picture based simply off how clear her face looks compared to the 808 (regular zoom). People for the most part are only going to be looking at their pics on the phone screen, maybe a laptop screen but almost never will be zooming in to look at the individual pixels. I am inclined to think from that example alone if I had to choose one over the other I would still take the 808 but the 808 does look a bit soft. People confuse softness with being out of focus and conversely grain with detail and so Nokia implemented a AI that plays well into their zoom anywhere to reframe the picture strategy. I still think the 1020 sharpens too much and the 808 shoots softer details.

Bottom line is, the best pictures I have seen taken between these two phones have been from the 808, but I think that is more due to the fact it has been out since 2012 and the software has been perfected and people have had that much more time with it to figure out how to maximize it's awesome tech. Give the 1020 some time.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Sharpness that sits between 1020 and 808 images would be just perfect. 1020 looks often too sharp and 808 usually looks too soft. Also colour saturation bit down so it sits between those two devices. 1020 usually looks too saturated and 808 quite often very bland. That way they could clean more noise out of photo without losing too much sharpness. Then IQ would be there how i wanted it to be and i think majority of other people too.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sharpness that sits between 1020 and 808 images would be just perfect. 1020 looks often too sharp and 808 usually looks too soft. Also colour saturation bit down so it sits between those two devices. 1020 usually looks too saturated and 808 quite often very bland. That way they could clean more noise out of photo without losing too much sharpness. Then IQ would be there how i wanted it to be and i think majority of other people too.

I completely agree.

Set the sharpness and saturation in-between 808 and 1020, and it's good stuff!

kopi22

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It would be really nice if they patch the 1020 to support this eventually. I'm all for more adjustable settings.

Mostly, I'd like to adjust the Sharpness and noise Reduction.

They probably bring a lot of things over with updates.. they are -5 to +5 scales for sharpness, saturation, and contrast.. very useful.

I think that overall the camera UX on the 1020 is better, but the one on the 808 is more practical in terms of fine tuning your settings.

noksu

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Already Has An Update to Pro Camera App for Lumia 1020
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/07/26/nokia-already-has-an-update-to-pro-camera-app-for-lumia-1020/

Mississauga411

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help out with uploading pics to twitter. A nice high quality pic once uploaded looks like it was taken with a one time use from 7-11.. very Dissappointed

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster