The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I saw the leather case with the added lens cover and that isn't for me. I love the wireless charging of my 920 so that cover is quite appealing...but no lens protection.
    1. Do people here think a lens cover is important given the camera being a central feature of this phone?
    2. Has there been any commentary that I missed about the overall ruggedness of the exterior lens in case it gets exposed to keys in a pocket, a rough picnic table/surface, etc?

Thanks for any opinions/links.
    07-21-2013 11:21 AM
    I would think it is important because it is the reason why most people are buying this device and paying the premium. $700 phone I would of course get a cover of some kind for the camera.
    bawboh86 likes this.
    07-21-2013 11:23 AM
    If anyone finds some interesting options please post pics or links. Looking forward to Friday!
    bawboh86 likes this.
    07-24-2013 02:02 PM
    The lens has an automated mechanical cover to protect it..so I personally don't see the need to have specific protection for the optical elements. However, we've already seen one 1020 dropped and get a cracked screen as a result, so a "bumper" to protect against such mishaps might be wise.
    07-24-2013 02:13 PM
    The lens has an automated mechanical cover to protect it..so I personally don't see the need to have specific protection for the optical elements. However, we've already seen one 1020 dropped and get a cracked screen as a result, so a "bumper" to protect against such mishaps might be wise.
    Anybody know of a "case" for the standalone device or even with the various shells installed (a case that would allow the inclusion of the charging shell or camera shell)?

Techiedude
    07-24-2013 02:27 PM
    Yep - I have an Incipio cover for my 920 that serves as a bumper. Ever since my wife cracked a 920 screen I've been paranoid, but feel less worried with that soft raised surface around the screen. I'd consider the wireless plate for a cover for the back more seriously if it had bumper-like powers.

Regarding the lens, it sounds like between the Gorilla Glass 3 and the mechanical cover it should be pretty protected, even from the occasional errant key in the pocket.
    07-24-2013 02:41 PM
    The lens does have a mechanical shutter, that is closed when a camera app is not in use, but it also has a glass element outside of that. It is supposedly Gorilla Glass, but I would still prefer a dedicated lens cover of some type. If for nothing else, to keep my fingerprints off the glass. I always forget to wipe it off before I start shooting.
    Last edited by ParoleGA; 08-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    geekaren likes this.
    08-03-2013 10:47 AM
    The lens does have a mechanical shutter, that is closed when a camera app is not in use, but it also has an glass element outside of that. It is supposedly Gorilla Glass, but I would still prefer a dedicated lens cover of some type. If for nothing else, to keep my fingerprints off the glass. I always forget to wipe it off before I start shooting.
    Yeah I would like this as well, it is a shame most (well all) phone case makers completely disregard a lens cover for the camera.
    08-03-2013 11:03 AM
    Agree! My speck case adds some cushion, but I don't like the fact I notice myself touching just the black outside and then checking to make its clean and there are no scratches....that leather case needs to come out stat!
    08-03-2013 06:04 PM