I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Is the aluminium cold to the touch like the Surface is (I mean after leaving the phone for a while and returning) or does the black covering on it take this effect away? I just think that cold metal is a really reassuring feature on a device.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm a little ocd and the 920 ear mic is a lint trap. I believe that is where dust enters ffc (I've had multiple warranty returns for this issue). In your opinion, does the mic look smaller, better designed, or shallower than the 920s?
Also, can you find time to play "skulls of the shogun" for 20 mins and see how hot the 1020 gets, my 920 burns up while gaming?;)
ear speaker is definitely thinner than the 920. Can't speak to the dust trap part...dust could probably still get in there, but it's harder and would be less noticable. Re: FFC camera, that was a seal issue that was resolved on newer 920s (my white one had it bad, my yellow is clean as day 1), so I don't expect that to be a problem here either.

kennedya

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Dan, does taking pictures in the smart cam app change the quality of the image as opposed to the pro app? Like if you did a burst to get best shot what resolution / quality are the images? If they're 5mp are they down sampled?

I haven't seen a single review address this! Thank you!

kopte3

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a question regarding the body of the phone. I had 4 (yes four!) of 920s with squeaking/creaking body. I don't know if it was a bad batch or a design defect but many other owners reported it too. So my main concern is if that is fixed on the 1020. How does it feel under some pressure? Can you feel any gaps between the body and the internals of the device? Thank you very much!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried other Camera apps? Do they launch faster?
Sure, if you use the default Windows Phone camera app, it's as fast as ever. Just Pro Camera has to "load". Seeing as that is an actual app (via the Store), Nokia can probably optimize it for speed with future releases.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
1. Do you have glance turned on and do you notice any drain or think it's noticeable if someone was to have it on all the time throughout the day?
2. Do you think the Matte will scuff in the corners like it did on the 900 & 920's?
3. How much space does the 5MP +38MP take up on the phone for each picture?

rijkvanwel

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How does the OIS perform? I've alwasy found the N920's a bit 'wobbly', not pleasant to look at, especially at the edges. Really hope that has improved with this new generation. Could you maybe make a sample video?

winou1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Does this phone ship with both Amber and the GDR2 update? If so, can you comment on Skype improvements, random battery drain (as compared to the 920), BT4.0, among others? Thank you

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sure, if you use the default Windows Phone camera app, it's as fast as ever. Just Pro Camera has to "load". Seeing as that is an actual app (via the Store), Nokia can probably optimize it for speed with future releases.

If i don't want to use the advance settings of the Pro camera app, would the image quailty be the same using the default? In other words is the 5 + 38 thing a feature of this firmware or of Pro shot App?

jasonprahl

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Engadget noticed some weirdness when recording video using the Camera Pro lens where it only sounded like it was coming from one audio channel. They also had an issue with the mic not working while using it as a speakerphone. Have you seen either of these issues?

Mad Strings

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Will there be a 920/925/928/1020 and PureView 808 camera comparison?

When will the Amber update come to 920?

Is there lots of grain and noise in the pictures(using auto, since some consumers will do this) like in the earlier AMA pics?

Will Nokia add a cyan/spearmint(light green) color option in the future?

When holding the phone for all noncamera uses, does it feel akward/uncomfortable?

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little ocd and the 920 ear mic is a lint trap. I believe that is where dust enters ffc (I've had multiple warranty returns for this issue). In your opinion, does the mic look smaller, better designed, or shallower than the 920s?
Also, can you find time to play "skulls of the shogun" for 20 mins and see how hot the 1020 gets, my 920 burns up while gaming?;)

I would also like to know if it get's hot during gaming (e.g. Skulls of the Shogan for 20min as suggested above)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Dan a couple of other reviewers have noted the camera / Pro Cam completely locking up and freezing the phone. Have you experienced this?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Dan, does taking pictures in the smart cam app change the quality of the image as opposed to the pro app? Like if you did a burst to get best shot what resolution / quality are the images? If they're 5mp are they down sampled?

I haven't seen a single review address this! Thank you!
Yes, by nature Smart Cam takes lower resolution photos, which is why it's faster. They are roughly 3072x1728 and 1.3MB in size, about a 1/3 smaller than the 5MP oversampled ones.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
What is the build quality like? Does the body creak at all? In a dark room, is there any light leakage around the capacitive buttons?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Is the aluminium cold to the touch like the Surface is (I mean after leaving the phone for a while and returning) or does the black covering on it take this effect away? I just think that cold metal is a really reassuring feature on a device.
not, no really...maybe if it's cool outside

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon