I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
In your opinion from your quick experience with the device so far, what's the best and quickest way to transfer photos?

I hate that the 1020 has no mSD slot, 80% in part because of the limited memory, 20% due to not able to copy the photos around with an mSD...

Keep in mind that I may want to transfer photos to computers that are not mine... and that 200-300 photos may take a lot of space (even the 5MP oversampled ones)... and that some wifi routers are quite slow...

Thanks!
Wp8 supports USB mass storage, meaning you can connect it to any PC, it shows up as a drive and you can drag-n-drop, delete, etc. all you want via File Explorer. No need for software.

Vaibhav Malviya

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
doesn't that mean it will put extra pressure on the chipset, i mean if they didn't had the support earlier cause it was not meant for 41mp, then why the made it, also there was some rumors about it have quadcore processor, i don't have much information bout it, so if i'am wrong correct me.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
1) How is the Pro Camera Tutorial?

2) This is kinda an odd question, but something I first noticed on the 920 a few weeks ago when shooting a long video. Does the 1020 in any way kill notifications when you are shooting video? It was rather distracting to have the image vibrate in the middle of the video when I got a new message.

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

I'm a pretty serious audio buff, so my question is regarding sound of the 1020 with earphones/headphones. Being an audiophile, I'm reasonable enough to realize it's not going to provide the quality of a dedicated portable amp. Still, Nokia (as you likely know) has a reputation for including excellent audio components in their mobile devices. Unfortunately, the 920 was a slight disappointment in that area. So I guess that (here's the point, lol) what I'm asking is are there notable improvements in audio quality? Improved EQ? If you can't quite tell, perhaps a friend with trained ears?

Thanks friend,

Sean

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Is there any real benefit to sharing the 38mp photos? Aren't the down sampled 5MP photos always supposed to look better?
No and it's kind of dumb for people to harp on it. Those pics are 15MB in size and are too much for anything "digital". Our images on the site are usually less than 300kb and how to they look?

Fact is, you can plug n play the phone into any PC and drag n drop the HR pics, easy peasy. AT&T people can back up to the cloud though, if they chose via Locker.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1) How is the Pro Camera Tutorial?

2) This is kinda an odd question, but something I first noticed on the 920 a few weeks ago when shooting a long video. Does the 1020 in any way kill notifications when you are shooting video? It was rather distracting to have the image vibrate in the middle of the video when I got a new message.
Tutorial is really good! Simple and clear. I even used it for the manual focus tool.

Re: 2, I'll have to test it out.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Have you found any annoyances or things you didn't like?

Thanks for answering these questions :)
Not really, I mean I can lament about the camera "bump" but that's like complaining that a Mustang's V8 is too loud.

If you're coming from a 920, the device won't feel like a "new experience" though and it could get boring for non-photo things. Still, if you can afford it, I'd recommend it over the 920.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1. On the 920 if you zoomed in before you took a picture more than likely the picture came out fuzzy or not as clear. Is it the same for the 1020 or is that part of the zoom REINVENTED? In other words is it better to take a regular shot and then zoom to crop later or is the quality of the shot zoomed in better than on the 920?
Interesting question. Here's how it works:

When you slide your finger up (digital zoom) on a live image and snap the photo, it saves it like that. BUT it really took the full photo and saved that as the HQ image, meaning you can literally go back and re-frame the image again and un-zoom it. Kind of neat really.

So basically you can re-frame during the shot or after, your choice.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Will the wireless charging back plate be available at launch? Have you seen it? Will it make the phone much thicker?
Watch the videos on the front page with my hands on. Yes, I have the wireless charging cover and it's in the video.

Will be available, but not at AT&T. Try Amazon.

Vaibhav Malviya

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
if Nokia and Qualcomm worked together to re-write the imaging stack, doesn't that mean it will put extra pressure on the chipset, i mean if they didn't had the support earlier cause it was not meant for 41mp, then why the made it, also there was some rumors about it have quadcore processor, i don't have much information bout it, so if i'am wrong correct me.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do pictures from Smart Cam, Blink, Photosynth, etc. all look significantly better? I have a 9 month old so I live in the current Smart Shoot lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers