I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

I'm a pretty serious audio buff, so my question is regarding sound of the 1020 with earphones/headphones. Being an audiophile, I'm reasonable enough to realize it's not going to provide the quality of a dedicated portable amp. Still, Nokia (as you likely know) has a reputation for including excellent audio components in their mobile devices. Unfortunately, the 920 was a slight disappointment in that area. So I guess that (here's the point, lol) what I'm asking is are there notable improvements in audio quality? Improved EQ? If you can't quite tell, perhaps a friend with trained ears?

Thanks friend,

Sean
Haven't tried but will do so for the review.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
if Nokia and Qualcomm worked together to re-write the imaging stack, doesn't that mean it will put extra pressure on the chipset, i mean if they didn't had the support earlier cause it was not meant for 41mp, then why the made it, also there was some rumors about it have quadcore processor, i don't have much information bout it, so if i'am wrong correct me.
There are no rumors of quad core processor, just Qualcomm posting erroneous info on their site and people running with it.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there a difference in the 5MP images that are taken when you're in 38MP+5MP mode versus those taken in just 5MP mode?
Is it possible to do a burst mode photo and keep all of the photos rather than having to select the best one right away?
How do the low light photos (for example, of people inside a darkly-lit restaurant) compare to the Lumia 920?

Thanks!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Do pictures from Smart Cam, Blink, Photosynth, etc. all look significantly better? I have a 9 month old so I live in the current Smart Shoot lens.
I mean, they look good, but they're not using the camera's full capabilities, obviously. Due to the larger sensor, 6 lens elements, etc it should do better than most Windows Phones.

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard anything about this yet so I'm glad you're doing this Q&A.

How does the front facing camera (think Skype) compare to the 920 one? Was there any feedback on Nokia specifically redesigning the housing of it so we won't have dust all over it like in the 920?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Is there a difference in the 5MP images that are taken when you're in 38MP+5MP mode versus those taken in just 5MP mode?
Is it possible to do a burst mode photo and keep all of the photos rather than having to select the best one right away?
How do the low light photos (for example, of people inside a darkly-lit restaurant) compare to the Lumia 920?

Thanks!
no, the 5MP images look real good regardless
You never have to select the best right away, all Lenses have the option to go back and re-edit the image
Haven't tried yet

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey Daniel,

No question here, just wanted to say thanks for answering all the questions (some multiple times). Easily my nominee for OETY (Online Editor of The Year) :)

Might have to copy-n-paste 'em into another Forum sticky LOL

Techiedude

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I haven't heard anything about this yet so I'm glad you're doing this Q&A.

How does the front facing camera (think Skype) compare to the 920 one? Was there any feedback on Nokia specifically redesigning the housing of it so we won't have dust all over it like in the 920?
No need to redesign the housing, it was a simple sealant issue that is fixed on newer 920s.

1020's FF camera shows more detail/sharper, though I also look a tinge orange.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Daniel,

No question here, just wanted to say thanks for answering all the questions (some multiple times). Easily my nominee for OETY (Online Editor of The Year) :)

Might have to copy-n-paste 'em into another Forum sticky LOL

Techiedude
Sure, no problem! It's all about the community here.

MTL32

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

Quick question about the camera grip accessory: When put on the 1020, does it go over the lanyard? Meaning that when the grip is on, you can't put a lanyard anymore? I ask, because I'm pretty enthusiastic about taking pics and movies at concerts, but dropping the phone when a duche runs into me - not...

thanks for all your answers BTW!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

Quick question about the camera grip accessory: When put on the 1020, does it go over the lanyard? Meaning that when the grip is on, you can't put a lanyard anymore? I ask, because I'm pretty enthusiastic about taking pics and movies at concerts, but dropping the phone when a duche runs into me - not...

thanks for all your answers BTW!
They have a slit for the lanyard, that you can literally slide it through. They thought of everything, so no worries there ;)

SomePetar

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Daniel! Can you tell me any info about the release date for Oggl, have u tried oggl pro features? I know its not a Lumia 1020 question but its related due to nokias announcement. thanks!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel! Can you tell me any info about the release date for Oggl, have u tried oggl pro features? I know its not a Lumia 1020 question but its related due to nokias announcement. thanks!
Have only tried Oggl at the 1020 premier event, I don't have it installed. No word on release date though I imagine it's sooner than later.

bahamut443

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this has been answered yet since this is a 14 page thread and counting...

Anyway, my question is about the zooming capabilities while shooting video. Does the phone allow you to zoom in/out while shooting live video? And if so, how effective is the zoom?

Thanks!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Not sure if this has been answered yet since this is a 14 page thread and counting...

Anyway, my question is about the zooming capabilities while shooting video. Does the phone allow you to zoom in/out while shooting live video? And if so, how effective is the zoom?

Thanks!
Yes, up to 3x "lossless" zoom. Works well as it makes no noise.

You can see it in action here: Photos and video of Hipstamtic

mr jeremy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Given the incredible amount of work Nokia has done with the hardware, firmware, and software do you care to speculate on the possibility of getting the camera to take slow-motion video? In other words could the FPS be bumped up at the expense of, say, pixel count, through a software update or using the existing SDK API?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb