I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

So I am a little confused about the saved images. When you take a photo with the Pro camera app, it saves both the high res and the oversampled 5mp image? Is their a way to save just the oversampled 5mp image for storage purposes?

Yes, there is an option to save only the 5MP image, or both large and 5mp image in the camera settings.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Dan

Can you open more apps on the L1020 than you can on a L920, before WP is forced to unload the first one from RAM (tombstoned)?

That is the only potential benefit that extra GB of RAM might have on a WP8 device. If not, then WP's memory manager is still only seeing one GB, meaning that extra GB is reserved exclusively for use by the L1020's imaging stack.
Looks to be just 8 apps.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dan,
My na?ve question is that do we need to hold the phone steady during the processing time (5s), or do we only need to do so for about, e.g. one second, and then we can put move the phone while the captured image is processing?
the 5 seconds is just for launch and shooting, the time it takes to go from cold to able to shoot. Once taken, the 2 second delay for processing you can do whatever you want.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
On the 920 I can get a general focus by partially pressing the camera button, or I can simply tap the screen to make it focus on a particular area in the field of view, automatically snapping the picture as a result. It looks like only the focus part is still available by tapping on the screen, and you now can ONLY snap the picture from the camera button. Is this true? This might be a showstopper for me.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if you've answered this already, but is there a difference in quality between a 5MP picture taken with auto settings with the Pro Camera app and a picture taken with auto settings with the stock camera app?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
After having the phone for a couple of days, what is your Other Storage at? This bug is a huge concern that I have and the biggest reason I haven't gotten this phone yet.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
On the 920 I can get a general focus by partially pressing the camera button, or I can simply tap the screen to make it focus on a particular area in the field of view, automatically snapping the picture as a result. It looks like only the focus part is still available by tapping on the screen, and you now can ONLY snap the picture from the camera button. Is this true? This might be a showstopper for me.

It does have a 2 stage camera button, too.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
False. You just have to tap the camera icon on the display.

The reason they do that is because with Pro Camera, it offers the superior option for focus lock (tap an area, the camera holds that area in focus).

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
First of all, Daniel you're awesome! :)

A couple of things I haven't been able to find direct answers so here we go.

1. The 10.4 mm thickness, is that on the thickest place (the camera housing). If not, how thick is it at the thickest point?

2. When the phone lies on the back, the top of the phone looks like it is raised pretty high... With the charger slot at the bottom of the phone, does it rest on plug (putting stress on the socket), and do you think this could be a problem in the long run?

3. I have owned several black aluminum phones, and all of them have had the same problems. They are all prone to scratches on the edges that reveal the metallic color of the metal, making the scratches very visible. Is the phone resting on the edge of the camera housing when lying on the back, because that could be a huge problem with scratches on that particular edge... :/

Thanks in advance! :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1. The 10.4 mm thickness, is that on the thickest place (the camera housing). If not, how thick is it at the thickest point?

2. When the phone lies on the back, the top of the phone looks like it is raised pretty high... With the charger slot at the bottom of the phone, does it rest on plug (putting stress on the socket), and do you think this could be a problem in the long run?

3. I have owned several black aluminum phones, and all of them have had the same problems. They are all prone to scratches on the edges that reveal the metallic color of the metal, making the scratches very visible. Is the phone resting on the edge of the camera housing when lying on the back, because that could be a huge problem with scratches on that particular edge... :/
  1. I think about 75% of the device is 10.4mm but I don't have a measurement on the camera housing part. It's not much thicker, it's just the shape/texture breaks the smooth contour of the device. If I had to guess, I'd say 10.7mm, or what the Lumia 920 is at for its thickets point. Definitely not more.
  2. For the USB Charger, no it remains clear. Going further, the USB connector on the phone feels more "industrial" than previous Lumias
  3. It's kind of the edge, kind of not. I can't speak to durability just yet, but so far there are zero scratches, nicks or blemishes on it

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Also I'm not really sure if this has already been answered, but since it oversamples the low res pics, an algorithm they Nokia says is sophisticated (meaning it must take some processing time), does this make the Smart Cam motion snapshots slower (fewer images, more time between the individual photos, etc.), or does it perform as well as the 925 in this regard?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss