I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

fancy0479

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you.
So if the user only need over-sampled 5MP photos, they could use the stock WP camera for faster shooting (less time between shoots)?
Or the question should be if we set the Pro Cam to only capture 5MP, will it take the same length of time between shoots (or still noticeably longer than the stock WP camera app)?

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Random question, do gameloft games like Order & Chaos, or NOVA run smoother with an extra gig of ram?

I got my L1020 and first thing I did was install order and chaos and it runs so much smoother than it did on my 920. I would say the improvement was in the 30-40% range.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I know with the 900 and 920, you had a chance to get a model with one of two vibrations: one very professional sounding, and the other that sounded like the entire phone was falling apart.

What does the 1020 have, at least yours?

Andrew Kennedy

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Daniel, is there any reason why the 920 can focus at a shorter distance for macro shots than the 1020? I noticed this in the Microsoft store, I get that you can reframe but when you do youre losing some of the oversampling and I'm curious why a camera as good as on the 1020 can't get as close

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Also I'm not really sure if this has already been answered, but since it oversamples the low res pics, an algorithm they Nokia says is sophisticated (meaning it must take some processing time), does this make the Smart Cam motion snapshots slower (fewer images, more time between the individual photos, etc.), or does it perform as well as the 925 in this regard?
smart cam is very fast

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, is there any reason why the 920 can focus at a shorter distance for macro shots than the 1020? I noticed this in the Microsoft store, I get that you can reframe but when you do youre losing some of the oversampling and I'm curious why a camera as good as on the 1020 can't get as close
just a limit of the hardware--squished lens with large sensor reduces macro

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I know with the 900 and 920, you had a chance to get a model with one of two vibrations: one very professional sounding, and the other that sounded like the entire phone was falling apart.

What does the 1020 have, at least yours?
no vibration issue, seems like they ironed that out with the 920/going forward

TMaestro

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
the 5 seconds is just for launch and shooting, the time it takes to go from cold to able to shoot. Once taken, the 2 second delay for processing you can do whatever you want.

Thanks Dan. I see big room for improvement here. It is very likely that Nokia will significantly reduce the start up time in some next updates.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
How do you save reframed images to phone. From the pro cam app, looking at an image and zooming in I push reframe then save. It pretends to save and says it does but I can't find it saved anywhere on the phone?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, 2.6GB of Other Storage? That's awful. At the very least tell me Nokia's Storage Check app is rectifying this issue? That could potentially be a make or break for this device, as the 38MP photos will be taking up enough space in their own right, without needing Other Storage to add to the mess.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dan. Consumer Reports is claiming the lowlight video performance is so grainy and dark the lowly iPhone 4s beats it. Can you speak to that in your experience with it thus far. The article also referenced the whites were far too blue tinted which threw off the color in their photos. The entire article was pretty negative to be honest although they did begrudgingly mention it took sharper stills than the other phones mentioned. This is the link that caught my eye which also leads to the Report. The New Nokia Lumia May Have A 41-Megapixel Camera, But That Doesn’t Mean It’s The Best

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Dan. Consumer Reports is claiming the lowlight video performance is so grainy and dark the lowly iPhone 4s beats it. Can you speak to that in your experience with it thus far. The article also referenced the whites were far too blue tinted which threw off the color in their photos. The entire article was pretty negative to be honest although they did begrudgingly mention it took sharper stills than the other phones mentioned. This is the link that caught my eye which also leads to the Report. The New Nokia Lumia May Have A 41-Megapixel Camera, But That Doesn’t Mean It’s The Best
I think my post earlier today on the 1020's night shots proves them wrong.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Wow, 2.6GB of Other Storage? That's awful. At the very least tell me Nokia's Storage Check app is rectifying this issue? That could potentially be a make or break for this device, as the 38MP photos will be taking up enough space in their own right, without needing Other Storage to add to the mess.
Storage Check does not fix this issue, it only allows deletion of Temp files, which is not a problem.

My 925 only has 625MB of Other and my 920, which has been in use for nearly 3 months has 1.4GB. Not sure why the 1020 is so high, but my guess is it's related to media somehow.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How do you save reframed images to phone. From the pro cam app, looking at an image and zooming in I push reframe then save. It pretends to save and says it does but I can't find it saved anywhere on the phone?
Mine saves a re-frame. Just understand that the re-frame and original are technically the same, which is why you can re-open it in Pro Cam and re-frame it again.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, mine was definitely not doing the reframe saving earlier. but now it is working AFTER I downloaded the 8MB procam update that popped up. Also seems to have changed the reframing interface a bit. Cool Thanks NOKIA!!! And Daniel!

wpbazaar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
OK here's a nontechnical question. Why do Americans get so worked up about the difference between $199 and $299 up front prices when the bulk of the spend is on the 2 year monthly plan? Are they so addicted to subsidies that they're mentally unable to factor in the overall cost in their purchasing decision? Or are they lusting so hard after the latest toys that they're signing up even when they have no savings?

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
If you choose the option to only save the 5MP version, can you still zoom in and reframe the pictures, or can this be done only with the 34/38MP versions? Also, the focal length of the lens is 26 mm, do you know what the theoretical focal length at the 3x digital zoom end is supposed to be? Thanks!

Edit: Found the answer to my second question. It's as simple as: 26 x 3 = 78 mm. :)

Last edited:

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
If you choose the option to only save the 5MP version, can you still zoom in and reframe the pictures, or can this be done only with the 34/38MP versions? Also, the focal length of the lens is 26 mm, do you know what the theoretical focal length at the 3x digital zoom end is supposed to be? Thanks!

Edit: Found the answer to my second question. It's as simple as: 26 x 3 = 78 mm. :)

If you dont save the 38 MP ones, then you cant reframe (and get the lossless zoom). You 5MP oversamples will appear in the camera roll as normal, so you can do anything as you wish, like crop them (which I guess is reframing in that sense), but they no longer have the links to open them in the Pro Cam app (where the 38 MP files are usually accessible, and reframing is done). So essentially what I am saying is no.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3