02-22-2014 09:00 PM
186 ... 45678
tools
    ok so let me recap. the att app section in the app store is no longer there for me. when i open the dial pad it show visual voicemail. all the att stuff from my phone went away. look at your phone and see if its the same.
    08-03-2013 10:20 PM
    The problem may be of a different kind. I disconnected WiFi, just left T-Mobile data, and found that I can download, but cannot upload
    08-03-2013 10:28 PM
    I never had the phone with ATT. Bought it from MS Store and unlocked right away. I don't even have an ATT SIM
    08-03-2013 10:30 PM
    do u see visual voice mail on the dialer? also when u put the sim in what did it say? honestly i didnt do anything different. just popped the sim in and changed the mms apn and internet apn thats it.
    08-03-2013 10:33 PM
    I don't think I have visual voice mail, but I am now on the phone with T-Mobile rep, will confirm later. As for what the phone said when I first input TMo SIM, it said you need an unlock code. You have 10 attempts. So I just input the code, which was accepted
    08-03-2013 10:39 PM
    ok and also when u speak to them make sure u have wireless tethering on ur plan. well after i put the unlock code it said changed mode to gsm.
    08-03-2013 10:41 PM
    Where does anyone see the Access Point app? I don't know how to get it.
    08-04-2013 12:09 AM
    didnt use the app. not sure honestly.
    08-04-2013 12:10 AM
    I did hard reset and this fixed my internet problems. BTW, have to delete the proxy url (216.155.165.050), which TMo gave me, otherwise https does not work. So just 'fast.t-mobile.com' (presence or absence of user name does not make any difference). However whatever I do, I cannot get Internet Sharing. I spoke to ATT, they say it is TMo issue. Talk to them. But of course, TMo does not guarantee anything for not TMo phone... So what else could be the difference? For some folks it works, for some it does not. It did work for me but only once. I wonder, does anyone know if this could depend on the TMo data plan? I have 2GB (and then it goes from LTE to Edge)
    08-04-2013 12:59 AM
    yes it has to do with ur plan. the 2gb plan doesnt include the tethering. i have the unlimited with 500mb tethering included. should have asked u that long time ago.
    08-04-2013 01:19 AM
    thanks guys for this post. I used your advice and bought my 1020 from the microsoft store. they price matched it after talking to one rep who said no they dont, i waited patiently and i asked another rep and they looked it up and did it. also got the camera grip but not the $10 credit :( I called AT&T customer care and explained that im not a customer and i purchased the phone at full retail price and after they checked the imei to make sure it wasnt reported lost or stolen they provided me the unlock code. after unlocking i changed the APN setting for data to fast.t-mobile.com and mms apn i used APN: epc.tmobile.com MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc to get picture messaging to work.
    astroXP likes this.
    08-04-2013 07:50 AM
    Where does anyone see the Access Point app? I don't know how to get it.
    Search 'Lumia Pusher' from your phone's web browser and download that on your phone. After you do that, one of the options will be for the Access Point app. When its done downloading you can access if from settings.
    08-04-2013 09:05 AM
    Got my phone from the Microsoft Store in Portland, got to the office, called ATT, and had my device unlocked in under 20 minutes. The CSR was surprised that the device was ready to be unlocked so quickly, but very polite and happy to help!

Everything working out of the box (though it came with 5% charge). MMS required setting my Internet and MMS APN as mentioned earlier in the thread, but that was the only setup required!

The Microsoft Store at Pioneer Place was even nice enough to return my Lumia 925 three days after the 14 day return policy expired!
    08-05-2013 02:31 PM
    Called AT&T Premier and they wouldn't unlock it for me since the actual line was still under contract. They said bring my proof of purchase to the AT&T store and everything will be good to go.
    08-06-2013 10:25 AM
    Just like with most bureaucracies, you are playing the 'rep roulette' - find a nice person that doesn't look up or doesn't care about the policies and you get different answers. I tried chat and calling with no luck. In both the chat and call, the reps brought up the 90 days issue and refused to give me the unlock code.

On the call, she did offer a credit of $90 for the 800 MB data package in Mexico (normally $120). Since that's good enough for me for 10 days, I took it - $30 normally would only get me 120 MB of data in Mexico.

I'll try again for my next trip after the 90 days are over. :)

Update: due to some AT&T start and end dates billing complications, I ended up getting 600 MB for $10 (300 MB twice at $60 each with a $110 credit). The point is if you push a bit, even if you don't get the code you can get credit. Doesn't help folks in Europe, but helps those US AT&T customers travelling, even with 1020s that are subsidized at $299 and under contract for 2 years.
    Last edited by ehuna; 08-10-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    08-10-2013 08:05 PM
    Hi all--quick question. If I buy an unlocked 1020 in the UK and bring it to ATT, will internet sharing work? Ie, will internet sharing follow the phone or follow the sim card?
    Thanks!
    stef
    08-12-2013 03:10 PM
    If your Lumia 1020 is off Contract. At&t Should unlock it.. if they will not so what is the benefit to get off contract phone ? i do not think so it is big matter to Unlock A&t Nokia Lumia 1020 Phone. Now there are many third party source available, who are able to Unlock At&t Nokia Lumia Phone. i Unlocked mine from attphoneunlockingshop.us . now i m happy to use my At&t Nokia Lumia Unlocked phone.. Cheers !!
    Thanks for this--but the question was really about whether internet sharing will work on an unlocked phone. I am soild ATT customer and sure they will unlock if I buy the phone--but want to figure out whether I can use internet sharing with this or not. It seems that on ATT unlocked phone, you cannot. I am wondering if you buy international model, can you do this?
    thanks!
    stef
    08-13-2013 10:43 AM
    Thanks for this--but the question was really about whether internet sharing will work on an unlocked phone. I am soild ATT customer and sure they will unlock if I buy the phone--but want to figure out whether I can use internet sharing with this or not. It seems that on ATT unlocked phone, you cannot. I am wondering if you buy international model, can you do this?
    thanks!
    stef
    This is a difficult question to answer on a closed source OS. On Android Google enables tethering and doesn't leave config of some sort so the carriers/manufacturers can enable per carrier tether blocking. On Android, the carriers by requesting from manufacturers are disabling the tethering by themselves. Microsoft may have developed some sort of tether blocking feature in the OS, so Nokia could setup the config per carrier or it could be setup uniformly, so no matter where you buy the device it will always block the tethering on certain carrier. Of course, this is speculation on my part, since i do not have the source code of the OS to tell for sure. It is very likely that this customization is done by Nokia upon ATT request to block the tethering on AT&T branded L1020 only.
    In short, the best way to tell if the tethering on unbranded L1020 will work on AT&T network is to try, but this test could be very expensive for somebody ...
    Last edited by kabel_mk; 08-13-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    08-13-2013 03:45 PM
    This is a difficult question to answer on a closed source OS. On Android Google enables tethering and doesn't leave config of some sort so the carriers/manufacturers can enable per carrier tether blocking. On Android, the carriers by requesting from manufacturers are disabling the tethering by themselves. Microsoft may have developed some sort of tether blocking feature in the OS, so Nokia could setup the config per carrier or it could be setup uniformly, so no matter where you buy the device it will always block the tethering on certain carrier. Of course, this is speculation on my part, since i do not have the source code of the OS to tell for sure. It is very likely that this customization is done by Nokia upon ATT request to block the tethering on AT&T branded L1020 only.
    In short, the best way to tell if the tethering on unbranded L1020 will work on AT&T network is to try, but this test could be very expensive for somebody ...
    Thanks and I hear you--and may need to try this. I actually just tried to order the phone from MSFT store to get the free camera grip and was shot down since i wanted to ship to a different address in the same city from my billing. ie, home address is billing address, but not at home to accept fedex package...so would like to ship to work. no go! amazing, really that amazon, aapl, goog, and all others can figure this out. i even ordered surface rt this way from msft store, but the company "wireless solutions" that msft contracted with here doesn't allow it. bad choice. no sale.
    08-13-2013 04:51 PM
    Just got done speaking with ATT support via chat and got my unlock code. I was surprised it was so easy. I thought I might have to argue that I bought the phone outright even more. Only mentioned it once.
    II'm not living in Us right now, but bought the 1020. My phone is in FedEx right now.
    WWould you mind telling the address where I do that on att, and what did you tell the representative?
    08-14-2013 05:20 AM
    Thanks and I hear you--and may need to try this. I actually just tried to order the phone from MSFT store to get the free camera grip and was shot down since i wanted to ship to a different address in the same city from my billing. ie, home address is billing address, but not at home to accept fedex package...so would like to ship to work. no go! amazing, really that amazon, aapl, goog, and all others can figure this out. i even ordered surface rt this way from msft store, but the company "wireless solutions" that msft contracted with here doesn't allow it. bad choice. no sale.
    same here, tried to order but when i check the shipment status it show cancelled and require additional information :(
    08-14-2013 07:42 AM
    Attachment 38808

Just to prove it works - it says 4G on my 909 (1020) and you can see my location on Google Maps and 3UK as my iPad network.

I just wish that AT&T didn't consider HSPA+ to be 4G!!!!

Thank you to unlockitnow.com...
    nice.. I have ordered a Lumia 1020 so it is good to hear that it works in the UK since I am in Sweden.
    08-15-2013 12:31 AM
    II'm not living in Us right now, but bought the 1020. My phone is in FedEx right now.
    WWould you mind telling the address where I do that on att, and what did you tell the representative?
    I'm living outside of US, and successfully unlocked my L1020 with no problems at all through AT/T, not a single cent spent !. (okay besides international call charges). I just rang them up, select to speak with a representative, told them I bought it off contract at full price, and asked for an unlock code. The rep was nice and kind and so was I, everything went real smoothly.

Called : 1-800-331-0500
    You can check their numbers here

Best of luck
    08-15-2013 01:05 AM
    I'm living outside of US, and successfully unlocked my L1020 with no problems at all through AT/T, not a single cent spent !. (okay besides international call charges). I just rang them up, select to speak with a representative, told them I bought it off contract at full price, and asked for an unlock code. The rep was nice and kind and so was I, everything went real smoothly.

Called : 1-800-331-0500
    You can check their numbers here

Best of luck
    YESSS, thanks Skype for my free calls to US, and thanks Sara the ATT representative, she was really nice and give the code no quetions asked...

1020 in BRazil!!! GREAT
    08-15-2013 09:16 AM
    thanks guys for this post. I used your advice and bought my 1020 from the microsoft store. they price matched it after talking to one rep who said no they dont, i waited patiently and i asked another rep and they looked it up and did it. also got the camera grip but not the $10 credit :( I called AT&T customer care and explained that im not a customer and i purchased the phone at full retail price and after they checked the imei to make sure it wasnt reported lost or stolen they provided me the unlock code. after unlocking i changed the APN setting for data to fast.t-mobile.com and mms apn i used APN: epc.tmobile.com MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc to get picture messaging to work.
    I bought full price at MS store and got nothing free. Who did you price match and for how much? I will return to the store and try to get a camera grip. But who to price match? Thanks
    08-16-2013 03:39 AM
186 ... 45678