ATT will unlock off-contract Lumia 1020?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So got mine at AT&T last night..

Called AT&T - rep was very friendly; after just a small bit of pushback, he relented and gave me the unlock. Told me it was because I paid for the phone outright full cost and had activated a GO Phone Account and paid..

Now.. have my T-Mobile chip installed.

Working:
LTE
4G
Calls
Internet
Email
SMS
MMS
GPS

Not working:
Wi-Fi Calling - doesn't even appear as a feature on the phone.

Lost LTE today but customer service @ T-Mobile told me it was due to system issues today; so phone's slopping along on Edge right now..

(EDIT) If anyone's having a struggle with MMS, these setting worked for me - Settings.. Cellular.. Add Internet APN & Add MMS APN:

APN: epc.tmobile.com or fast.tmobile.com (for LTE devices)
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

You put the APN in the APN field of BOTH Internet and MMS Add APN functions.

On the Internet APN settings you don't need to add anything else.

ON the MMS APN settings, Go to MMSC URL and use the the MMSC address at the bottom of my list above.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
image.jpg

Just to prove it works - it says 4G on my 909 (1020) and you can see my location on Google Maps and 3UK as my iPad network.

I just wish that AT&T didn't consider HSPA+ to be 4G!!!!

Thank you to unlockitnow.com...

jaytee0401

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
So got mine at AT&T last night..

Called AT&T - rep was very friendly; after just a small bit of pushback, he relented and gave me the unlock. Told me it was because I paid for the phone outright full cost and had activated a GO Phone Account and paid..

Now.. have my T-Mobile chip installed.

Working:
LTE
4G
Calls
Internet
Email
SMS
MMS
GPS

Not working:
Wi-Fi Calling - doesn't even appear as a feature on the phone.

Lost LTE today but customer service @ T-Mobile told me it was due to system issues today; so phone's slopping along on Edge right now..

(EDIT) If anyone's having a struggle with MMS, these setting worked for me - Settings.. Cellular.. Add Internet APN & Add MMS APN:

APN: epc.tmobile.com or fast.tmobile.com (for LTE devices)
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

You put the APN in the APN field of BOTH Internet and MMS Add APN functions.

On the Internet APN settings you don't need to add anything else.

ON the MMS APN settings, Go to MMSC URL and use the the MMSC address at the bottom of my list above.

I read on another forum that if you have the T-Mo sim (TM9190) installed and perform a hard reset, the phone will come back up with wifi calling. Of course, you need to have your account set up with that feature enabled and a certain firmware (at least for lumia 810). Could you give that a try and report back? Thanks.

J

champurado

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
so just to confirm something, youll only get 4g or 4g lte for tmobile if you live in a reframed area correct? if youre not in a reframed area youre stuck with edge?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I read on another forum that if you have the T-Mo sim (TM9190) installed and perform a hard reset, the phone will come back up with wifi calling. Of course, you need to have your account set up with that feature enabled and a certain firmware (at least for lumia 810). Could you give that a try and report back? Thanks.

J

I do have that feature on my account and no, this did not work.

Still, was a good idea anyway I think to do this.

qu3st

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
so just to confirm something, youll only get 4g or 4g lte for tmobile if you live in a reframed area correct? if youre not in a reframed area youre stuck with edge?

No u will get lte if its there in ur area. Doesn't have to be reframed. 4g has to be in a reframed area

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
safeunlockcode.com also now unlock the 1020.

We all know that earlier today unlockitnow.com provided the unlock code for my 1020 in the UK.

Yrreb707

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Microsoft Store today and got the Lumia 1020, and it did come with a free camera grip.

I have been unsuccessful in getting AT&T customer service to give me an unlock code. So, I put in an order with safeunlockcode. They estimate that it will take 12-24 hours to provide me with the code. So, I wait...

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I was successful in getting my 1020 unlocked via AT&T. Just told them I bought it off of contract, and that I leave for Spain on Sunday.
Rather than calling, I did the online chat. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Just curious how long did it take for them to get back to you with a code?

I did it 12 hours earlier when I didn't know if they were even real - but I took a chance. I also totally forgot about the fact I even placed an unlock order with them.

I don't know if that means it will take a day or if they were pre-ordering unlocks... what I do know is it worked. I am now unlocked.

And I would recommend you all use this service INSTEAD of calling AT&T as I spent an hour and got no where and I get really angry when you guys just called up and had them unlock it.

FrenchGold

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
please keep us posted on the progress of unlocking. I am seeking to do the same. But the AT&T reps can't seem to give me synonymous information.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
please keep us posted on the progress of unlocking. I am seeking to do the same. But the AT&T reps can't seem to give me synonymous information.

It works with the company I used as I said above and I put a photo to show it... so no progress to check! Just buy one and unlock it. Only took a few a days from new to being able to be unlocked.

Yrreb707

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It works with the company I used as I said above and I put a photo to show it... so no progress to check! Just buy one and unlock it. Only took a few a days from new to being able to be unlocked.

It gives me hope, but I am hesitant to count my chickens before they are hatched--or unlocked as the case may be.

I will post an update when I get my phone unlocked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3