ATT will unlock off-contract Lumia 1020?

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope. The settings are still there. APN: fast.t-mobile.com; UserName: blank; Password: blank; Proxy: 216.1553165.050; Proxy port: 8080
Is this what you have?

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
OK. Tried just with 'fast.t-mobile.com' and username 't-mobile lte' and it does not work. Left proxy and port blank. Something else is going on. I also restarted the phone but no cigar...

qu3st

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
ok so let me recap. the att app section in the app store is no longer there for me. when i open the dial pad it show visual voicemail. all the att stuff from my phone went away. look at your phone and see if its the same.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The problem may be of a different kind. I disconnected WiFi, just left T-Mobile data, and found that I can download, but cannot upload

qu3st

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
do u see visual voice mail on the dialer? also when u put the sim in what did it say? honestly i didnt do anything different. just popped the sim in and changed the mms apn and internet apn thats it.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I have visual voice mail, but I am now on the phone with T-Mobile rep, will confirm later. As for what the phone said when I first input TMo SIM, it said you need an unlock code. You have 10 attempts. So I just input the code, which was accepted

qu3st

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
ok and also when u speak to them make sure u have wireless tethering on ur plan. well after i put the unlock code it said changed mode to gsm.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I did hard reset and this fixed my internet problems. BTW, have to delete the proxy url (216.155.165.050), which TMo gave me, otherwise https does not work. So just 'fast.t-mobile.com' (presence or absence of user name does not make any difference). However whatever I do, I cannot get Internet Sharing. I spoke to ATT, they say it is TMo issue. Talk to them. But of course, TMo does not guarantee anything for not TMo phone... So what else could be the difference? For some folks it works, for some it does not. It did work for me but only once. I wonder, does anyone know if this could depend on the TMo data plan? I have 2GB (and then it goes from LTE to Edge)

qu3st

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
yes it has to do with ur plan. the 2gb plan doesnt include the tethering. i have the unlimited with 500mb tethering included. should have asked u that long time ago.

CaFe88

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
thanks guys for this post. I used your advice and bought my 1020 from the microsoft store. they price matched it after talking to one rep who said no they dont, i waited patiently and i asked another rep and they looked it up and did it. also got the camera grip but not the $10 credit :( I called AT&T customer care and explained that im not a customer and i purchased the phone at full retail price and after they checked the imei to make sure it wasnt reported lost or stolen they provided me the unlock code. after unlocking i changed the APN setting for data to fast.t-mobile.com and mms apn i used APN: epc.tmobile.com MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc to get picture messaging to work.

Quinlan00

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Where does anyone see the Access Point app? I don't know how to get it.

Search 'Lumia Pusher' from your phone's web browser and download that on your phone. After you do that, one of the options will be for the Access Point app. When its done downloading you can access if from settings.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Got my phone from the Microsoft Store in Portland, got to the office, called ATT, and had my device unlocked in under 20 minutes. The CSR was surprised that the device was ready to be unlocked so quickly, but very polite and happy to help!

Everything working out of the box (though it came with 5% charge). MMS required setting my Internet and MMS APN as mentioned earlier in the thread, but that was the only setup required!

The Microsoft Store at Pioneer Place was even nice enough to return my Lumia 925 three days after the 14 day return policy expired!

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Called AT&T Premier and they wouldn't unlock it for me since the actual line was still under contract. They said bring my proof of purchase to the AT&T store and everything will be good to go.

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just like with most bureaucracies, you are playing the 'rep roulette' - find a nice person that doesn't look up or doesn't care about the policies and you get different answers. I tried chat and calling with no luck. In both the chat and call, the reps brought up the 90 days issue and refused to give me the unlock code.

On the call, she did offer a credit of $90 for the 800 MB data package in Mexico (normally $120). Since that's good enough for me for 10 days, I took it - $30 normally would only get me 120 MB of data in Mexico.

I'll try again for my next trip after the 90 days are over. :)

Update: due to some AT&T start and end dates billing complications, I ended up getting 600 MB for $10 (300 MB twice at $60 each with a $110 credit). The point is if you push a bit, even if you don't get the code you can get credit. Doesn't help folks in Europe, but helps those US AT&T customers travelling, even with 1020s that are subsidized at $299 and under contract for 2 years.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos