ATT will unlock off-contract Lumia 1020?

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi all--quick question. If I buy an unlocked 1020 in the UK and bring it to ATT, will internet sharing work? Ie, will internet sharing follow the phone or follow the sim card?
Thanks!
stef

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If your Lumia 1020 is off Contract. At&t Should unlock it.. if they will not so what is the benefit to get off contract phone ? i do not think so it is big matter to Unlock A&t Nokia Lumia 1020 Phone. Now there are many third party source available, who are able to Unlock At&t Nokia Lumia Phone. i Unlocked mine from attphoneunlockingshop.us . now i m happy to use my At&t Nokia Lumia Unlocked phone.. Cheers !!

Thanks for this--but the question was really about whether internet sharing will work on an unlocked phone. I am soild ATT customer and sure they will unlock if I buy the phone--but want to figure out whether I can use internet sharing with this or not. It seems that on ATT unlocked phone, you cannot. I am wondering if you buy international model, can you do this?
thanks!
stef

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this--but the question was really about whether internet sharing will work on an unlocked phone. I am soild ATT customer and sure they will unlock if I buy the phone--but want to figure out whether I can use internet sharing with this or not. It seems that on ATT unlocked phone, you cannot. I am wondering if you buy international model, can you do this?
thanks!
stef
This is a difficult question to answer on a closed source OS. On Android Google enables tethering and doesn't leave config of some sort so the carriers/manufacturers can enable per carrier tether blocking. On Android, the carriers by requesting from manufacturers are disabling the tethering by themselves. Microsoft may have developed some sort of tether blocking feature in the OS, so Nokia could setup the config per carrier or it could be setup uniformly, so no matter where you buy the device it will always block the tethering on certain carrier. Of course, this is speculation on my part, since i do not have the source code of the OS to tell for sure. It is very likely that this customization is done by Nokia upon ATT request to block the tethering on AT&T branded L1020 only.
In short, the best way to tell if the tethering on unbranded L1020 will work on AT&T network is to try, but this test could be very expensive for somebody ...

Last edited:

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is a difficult question to answer on a closed source OS. On Android Google enables tethering and doesn't leave config of some sort so the carriers/manufacturers can enable per carrier tether blocking. On Android, the carriers by requesting from manufacturers are disabling the tethering by themselves. Microsoft may have developed some sort of tether blocking feature in the OS, so Nokia could setup the config per carrier or it could be setup uniformly, so no matter where you buy the device it will always block the tethering on certain carrier. Of course, this is speculation on my part, since i do not have the source code of the OS to tell for sure. It is very likely that this customization is done by Nokia upon ATT request to block the tethering on AT&T branded L1020 only.
In short, the best way to tell if the tethering on unbranded L1020 will work on AT&T network is to try, but this test could be very expensive for somebody ...

Thanks and I hear you--and may need to try this. I actually just tried to order the phone from MSFT store to get the free camera grip and was shot down since i wanted to ship to a different address in the same city from my billing. ie, home address is billing address, but not at home to accept fedex package...so would like to ship to work. no go! amazing, really that amazon, aapl, goog, and all others can figure this out. i even ordered surface rt this way from msft store, but the company "wireless solutions" that msft contracted with here doesn't allow it. bad choice. no sale.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got done speaking with ATT support via chat and got my unlock code. I was surprised it was so easy. I thought I might have to argue that I bought the phone outright even more. Only mentioned it once.

II'm not living in Us right now, but bought the 1020. My phone is in FedEx right now.
WWould you mind telling the address where I do that on att, and what did you tell the representative?

squall_234

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks and I hear you--and may need to try this. I actually just tried to order the phone from MSFT store to get the free camera grip and was shot down since i wanted to ship to a different address in the same city from my billing. ie, home address is billing address, but not at home to accept fedex package...so would like to ship to work. no go! amazing, really that amazon, aapl, goog, and all others can figure this out. i even ordered surface rt this way from msft store, but the company "wireless solutions" that msft contracted with here doesn't allow it. bad choice. no sale.

same here, tried to order but when i check the shipment status it show cancelled and require additional information :(

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
II'm not living in Us right now, but bought the 1020. My phone is in FedEx right now.
WWould you mind telling the address where I do that on att, and what did you tell the representative?

I'm living outside of US, and successfully unlocked my L1020 with no problems at all through AT/T, not a single cent spent !. (okay besides international call charges). I just rang them up, select to speak with a representative, told them I bought it off contract at full price, and asked for an unlock code. The rep was nice and kind and so was I, everything went real smoothly.

Called : 1-800-331-0500
You can check their numbers here

Best of luck

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm living outside of US, and successfully unlocked my L1020 with no problems at all through AT/T, not a single cent spent !. (okay besides international call charges). I just rang them up, select to speak with a representative, told them I bought it off contract at full price, and asked for an unlock code. The rep was nice and kind and so was I, everything went real smoothly.

Called : 1-800-331-0500
You can check their numbers here

Best of luck

YESSS, thanks Skype for my free calls to US, and thanks Sara the ATT representative, she was really nice and give the code no quetions asked...

1020 in BRazil!!! GREAT

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
thanks guys for this post. I used your advice and bought my 1020 from the microsoft store. they price matched it after talking to one rep who said no they dont, i waited patiently and i asked another rep and they looked it up and did it. also got the camera grip but not the $10 credit :( I called AT&T customer care and explained that im not a customer and i purchased the phone at full retail price and after they checked the imei to make sure it wasnt reported lost or stolen they provided me the unlock code. after unlocking i changed the APN setting for data to fast.t-mobile.com and mms apn i used APN: epc.tmobile.com MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc to get picture messaging to work.

I bought full price at MS store and got nothing free. Who did you price match and for how much? I will return to the store and try to get a camera grip. But who to price match? Thanks

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, after trouble getting it to work in sweden I downloaded the the accesspoint app
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

installed it, created a new profile and boom it worked, it did not work to enter manually for me. so the accesspoint software probably does something more.

Good luck

Hejsan Christian!

For me to confirm, you are using internet sharing on your 1020 in Sweden? And you achieved this using the access point app?

tack sa mycket!

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I suppose if I am reading the specs for the L1020 correctly, there are no versions that have the 1700 band for T-Mobile USA? In my area, T-Mobile half-assed the refarm and there are plenty of areas where I get 2G only.

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to grab on for my Dad on T-Mobile but it sounds like there are issues and hiccups. The model variants section of the 1020 Wiki:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shame it's not "one ring to rule them all".

I'm using a yellow ATT Lumia 1020 on Tmobile right now, and let me tell you everything works great! I bought the phone from the microsoft store, called ATT and told them I paid full price and was not an ATT customer. He checked to make sure the phone was not on contract and gave me the website to unlock the phone. I told him I would be leaving the country soon and asked if it was possible to get the code over the phone so I wouldn't have to wait. He checked with someone and had the code ready for me, which worked like a charm.

The phone obviously doesn't support the 1700 band, but everything else works quite nicely. As soon as the phone was unlocked, I put in my Tmobile sim card and added the data and mms apns and everything worked great. I am in a refarmed area so I do get to utilize 4G and LTE; you may need to check to see if that is an issue for you.

So far, the only hiccup I would say that I have encountered is very minor. Internet sharing does not work if you are on LTE. It works very well on 4G, just not on LTE. The forums here someone posted a video and directions on how to very easily disable LTE while you tether, and then restart the phone to get LTE back. I would say the phone is amazing and works very well for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! well, today i call to AT&T and chat with them and my Nokia Lumia 1020 isnt in contract, and they told me that they can unlock my phone, but my phone its really new (manufactured) and they give me a Case Number and they say that in September 17 i will receive an email with the unlock code,.

Someone have this problem like me?

fcrb

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had to call in several times before I got connected to a rep that would unlock it. I told the guy I paid full price for the phone and wanted to get it unlocked. He asked for the IMEI number and a few minutes later said the phone was clear and gave me the code.

I bought a code off the bay too because I needed the phone to work soon and the code matched up with the one the rep gave so it's a safe alternative as well. I paid ~$3 and it arrived ~18 hours later via e-mail. My IMEI number for some reason didn't save to the message at checkout and it could have caused a delay.

Good luck

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, AT&T send me the unlock code for my Nokia Lumia 1020!!!! its awesome!!!!! thanks for all of u because when i was reading all the post i wanted to call AT&T and worked perfect!! THANKS!

anantmf

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, Thanks for all your help.
Just got new Lumia 1020 from MS Store with Free camera grip and got it unlocked within 5 minutes from AT&T international support.
Works fine with my T-Mobile and even gives LTE in my area.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster