09-09-2013 01:37 PM
116 12345
tools
    808 is a good camera, but 1020 is far better overall. Way past the standard of 808.
    Deutscher2 likes this.
    08-01-2013 08:27 PM
    It seems like in order for you to extract the maximum from the 1020 you have to shoot in full resolution, and the downscale on a PC later.. that results in better IQ than the 5Mpix pureview image from the phone.

This isn't the case with the 808.. you can get pretty much max it out in 8mpix pureview mode..
    08-02-2013 11:55 AM
    another test done by AAS.
    4 way flagship phone camera shootout: Nokia 808, Lumia 1020 and 925, Galaxy S4 Zoom

Have to say, 808 vs 1020 still comes equal in terms of camera, in some situations, 808 win while other 1020.

If the firmware update does give us control over noise (sharpness) and color, then it will definitely surpass 808.

But i suspect nokia will lower noise without giving us control over sharpness and leave these colors also without giving us control.
    08-02-2013 02:34 PM
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...one_camera.php

If one doesn't have to read the analysis and comment of the author, L1020 is a runaway winner in terms of details and sharpness and overall product. Color reproduction is not reliable in that test if the basis for comparison are the 808 images.

The first comparison with the flower image, L1020 is the SURE winner. You can not fix details and sharpness in post processing but color YES. I can not understand how the 808 won that round (ah yes, maybe because its all about symbian ). If the 808 is having problem taking sharp photos due to hand shake in bright sunlight, what more in dark scenarios? I hope the author is not suggesting that a tripod is needed in order to have crisp photos with 808 to compensate for not having OIS even in bright sunlight. I am not even sure if OIS in L1020 was a big factor in that specific test.
    Jaripi, bawboh86 and Deutscher2 like this.
    08-02-2013 05:22 PM
    you can fire the xenon there for a very fast shutter speed(so even handshake wouldn't matter) and increase sharpness to the maximum, that way the picture would look even sharper than 1020 while retaining real colors ;) also you can remember the color of one flower and postprocess it to look real, but what if you shoot 30 flowers and go back to your PC for postprocessing, would you remember the real color of each one? ;)

808 is a good camera, but 1020 is far better overall. Way past the standard of 808.
    nope, you can get the 1020-like picture from 808 whenever you want while the opposite is not possible, huge difference there...the only advantage 1020 has is night situations where you are shooting static subject and don't have time to rest your phone against something to stabilise it, and that's what..1 in 1000 situations?
    08-03-2013 03:14 AM
    the only advantage 1020 has is night situations where you are shooting static subject and don't have time to rest your phone against something to stabilise it, and that's what..1 in 1000 situations?
    Sorry, but your comments looks just like . Do you have read the Article?
    Do you looked at the DAYLIGHT Pictures?

808 vs. 1020

"But it's just topped by the wonderful image from the Lumia 1020, with good detail and colour. In contrast, the S4 Zoom achieves detail, but the shot is over-exposed and some of the rich colour has been lost. While the 808's version looks too cold and with characteristically average macro performance."

"...the Lumia 1020 seemed to manage it best of all."
    biboyflip likes this.
    08-03-2013 04:13 AM
    cold or not that's how it looked that day, also don't forget those settings are all auto...you can get the 1020-like photo with just a few clicks on 808 settings...it's not the rocket science really

808 can give excellent macro results you just have to know how ;) but if you want easy macro you better buy HTC One than 1020/808...
    DreDay74 likes this.
    08-03-2013 05:08 AM
    Are you saying use xenon flash in bright daylight even when the subject is well lit just to have faster exposure time/crsip image? There is sufficient lighting in that flower that even a xenon flash will have minimal effect. You dont have a backlit problem in that test as you can see in the other shots taken by s4zoom and 925. Seriously its not rocket science. Color reproduction is bogus if the basis of comparison is the 808. Kinda funny actually.
    08-03-2013 07:20 AM
    xenon is not used here for lighting, just faster shutter speed to eliminate handshake effects

yes the basis of comparison is the 808 since it has (along N8) the best color reproduction among all phones
    08-03-2013 07:35 AM
    xenon is not used here for lighting, just faster shutter speed to eliminate handshake effects

yes the basis of comparison is the 808 since it has (along N8) the best color reproduction among all phones
    Sorry my friend, but I think you are reaching already. Xenon flash IS always used for Lighting and for no other reason. You use flash to compensate for lack of lighting in dark scenario to minimize exposure time to theoretically achieve your EV (ev 0) default. In well lit scenario, just like the flower test where you have bright sunlight, flash or even xenon flash will not be much of help in the shutter speed because even without it the exposure time is already set automatically less than 1/500s which should be more than enough to have fast capture/crisp image even without OIS. Use flash in that scenario will not speed up exposure time, nor eliminate handshake but lighten up more the subject. No effect on sharp image.
    08-03-2013 07:56 AM
    08-03-2013 08:04 AM
    the Lumia 1020 is is an advancement in overall if u like it or not it might not be the same big *** sensor but it still gets the same images so you really need to start accepting that .

Hopefully all camera functions and options will be on the 1020 and maybe even newer ones that nok will make in near future

In the end 1020 is an advancement !!!
    08-03-2013 08:13 AM
    it doesn't make the same images, unless you consider that SGS 4 gives same images like 1020 ;)

Post Pictures taken with your Nokia 808 Pureview

have a look here, the quality of real PV technology can't be matched with simple resizing from 1020 ;)
    08-03-2013 08:33 AM
    the quality of real PV technology can't be matched
    You are talking like someone from Scientology.
    Every Review I read says that the 1020 is on the same level as the 808.
    Only our "Guru" "JustToClarify" has a completely different opinion.
    Btw. how old are you?
    08-03-2013 03:32 PM
    you really have to understand more about lighting. That scenario is NOT well lit overall unlike the flower test. That is not bright sunlight so of course the shutter speed by default with no flash will be much slower, thus the need for a flash to capture the moving subject. The flower is NOT moving and it was taken in bright sunny day. photography 101
    08-03-2013 04:29 PM
    You are talking like someone from Scientology.
    Every Review I read says that the 1020 is on the same level as the 808.
    Only our "Guru" "JustToClarify" has a completely different opinion.
    Btw. how old are you?
    reviews are done for masses (like you) and solely in auto mode, when you switch to manual it's another story...as seen from those samples ;) Or you believe that all those samples from esato are fake? ;)

you really have to understand more about lighting. That scenario is NOT well lit overall unlike the flower test. That is not bright sunlight so of course the shutter speed by default with no flash will be much slower, thus the need for a flash to capture the moving subject. The flower is NOT moving and it was taken in bright sunny day. photography 101
    the flower is not moving but the hand is.. which means that relative to hand flower IS moving, physics 101 :)
    08-04-2013 05:15 AM
    I think that Lumia 1020 is the best for the average user, who does not even think that he is a photograper ... :)

I am an Lumia 920 owner and I like take specially family and travel photos ... the most photos are taken in "auto" scene, just sometimes I might lock ISO or use other scene, like backlit ... well, I do not even own tripod and I would think that owning and carrying a such one is out of the question, specially during travels (I like moving around, with limited hand bags)

Anyway, auto scene photos look really really great by Lumia 1020 - better than Pureview 808 photos ... and I believe what I see, so Lumia 1020 is a way to go, for me ...

I think that videos will be great too, by Lumia 1020. I have seen some night videos and they look really great ... well, there is setting for 24/25/30 fps for 720 and 1080p and OIS too, so it sounds very good for me and recording voice is extremely good too ...

By the way, is there equal settings for video in Pureview 808 ? - those setting should be very useful for late evening videos ...

Hope that Nokia will make a step bigger sensor model too, for the old Pureview 808 users - then all users will be happy :)
    08-04-2013 06:48 AM
    yupp 1020 is better for casual users who shoot only in auto-mode
    08-04-2013 08:56 AM
    the flower is not moving but the hand is.. which means that relative to hand flower IS moving, physics 101 :)
    So your conclusion is, 808 has problem with handshake even in "bright daylight" and need to fire up flash in order to capture sharp photos. Thanks for making us understand this.

By the way, the bird shot of 808, I imagine if the L1020 has taken the same shot, it will be much sharper, more details, and properly exposed just like all the previous sample. ( I notice 808 tends to underexpose a bit under bright daylight and high contrast)
    Deutscher2 likes this.
    08-04-2013 09:25 AM
    808 doesn't have the problem with handshake, well unless your hands are shaking :) that's what you have OIS for on 1020

we don't know what settings are used there...remember that 808 can produce even sharper photos than 1020 if needed, as it has the sharpness setting unlike 1020 ;)
    08-04-2013 09:42 AM
    I think that Lumia 1020 is the best for the average user, who does not even think that he is a photograper ... :)

I am an Lumia 920 owner and I like take specially family and travel photos ... the most photos are taken in "auto" scene, just sometimes I might lock ISO or use other scene, like backlit ... well, I do not even own tripod and I would think that owning and carrying a such one is out of the question, specially during travels (I like moving around, with limited hand bags)

Anyway, auto scene photos look really really great by Lumia 1020 - better than Pureview 808 photos ... and I believe what I see, so Lumia 1020 is a way to go, for me ...

I think that videos will be great too, by Lumia 1020. I have seen some night videos and they look really great ... well, there is setting for 24/25/30 fps for 720 and 1080p and OIS too, so it sounds very good for me and recording voice is extremely good too ...

By the way, is there equal settings for video in Pureview 808 ? - those setting should be very useful for late evening videos ...

Hope that Nokia will make a step bigger sensor model too, for the old Pureview 808 users - then all users will be happy :)
    Yes, overall the L1020 is better for you. You don't have to worry about blurry shots in bright daylight. Trust your eyes and see the samples :)
    Deutscher2 likes this.
    08-04-2013 09:49 AM
    All comparisons that are made by using auto settings are useless, since those doesn't show true potential of cameras. For example night shot taken using 925 or 1020 on auto are clearly very overexposed and therefore lack details from well lit areas. Especially 925 can produce far better images in that area. Same think for 808 where you can tweak sharpness or saturation.

I really would like to see comparison where all settings are used to produce best shot possible.
    08-04-2013 02:40 PM
    All comparisons that are made by using auto settings are useless, since those doesn't show true potential of cameras. For example night shot taken using 925 or 1020 on auto are clearly very overexposed and therefore lack details from well lit areas. Especially 925 can produce far better images in that area. Same think for 808 where you can tweak sharpness or saturation.

I really would like to see comparison where all settings are used to produce best shot possible.
    Useless ? - so 80-90 % photos are useless :) ... the most of us are not the such serious photographers. I really hope that Nokia will make a model with very big sensor for these photographers, but it will be a limited edition as the most of us do not buy it and we do not prefer to use a tripod either ... :)
    08-04-2013 02:55 PM
    Useless ? - so 80-90 % photos are useless :) ... the most of us are not the such serious photographers. I really hope that Nokia will make a model with very big sensor for these photographers, but it will be a limited edition as the most of us do not buy it and we do not prefer to use a tripod either ... :)
    There is place for auto settings, but most of the time you plan your shot ahead anyway. So why not at least try to get exposure right by tinkering EV setting. That is most common reason for bad shots. Auto settings rarely nail the shot.
    08-04-2013 03:07 PM
    very very rarely...maybe 1% of shots will be good on auto setting, with these big sensors there are so many factors impacting the final result

with small sensor S4/IP/One cameras auto mode is OK since they are rubbish anyway
    08-04-2013 04:51 PM
116 12345