Visit site

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You are talking like someone from Scientology. :shocked:
Every Review I read says that the 1020 is on the same level as the 808.
Only our "Guru" "JustToClarify" has a completely different opinion. :evil:
Btw. how old are you?

reviews are done for masses (like you) and solely in auto mode, when you switch to manual it's another story...as seen from those samples ;) Or you believe that all those samples from esato are fake? ;)

you really have to understand more about lighting. That scenario is NOT well lit overall unlike the flower test. That is not bright sunlight so of course the shutter speed by default with no flash will be much slower, thus the need for a flash to capture the moving subject. The flower is NOT moving and it was taken in bright sunny day. photography 101

the flower is not moving but the hand is.. which means that relative to hand flower IS moving, physics 101 :)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that Lumia 1020 is the best for the average user, who does not even think that he is a photograper ... :)

I am an Lumia 920 owner and I like take specially family and travel photos ... the most photos are taken in "auto" scene, just sometimes I might lock ISO or use other scene, like backlit ... well, I do not even own tripod and I would think that owning and carrying a such one is out of the question, specially during travels (I like moving around, with limited hand bags)

Anyway, auto scene photos look really really great by Lumia 1020 - better than Pureview 808 photos ... and I believe what I see, so Lumia 1020 is a way to go, for me ...

I think that videos will be great too, by Lumia 1020. I have seen some night videos and they look really great ... well, there is setting for 24/25/30 fps for 720 and 1080p and OIS too, so it sounds very good for me and recording voice is extremely good too ...

By the way, is there equal settings for video in Pureview 808 ? - those setting should be very useful for late evening videos ...

Hope that Nokia will make a step bigger sensor model too, for the old Pureview 808 users - then all users will be happy :)

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
the flower is not moving but the hand is.. which means that relative to hand flower IS moving, physics 101 :)

So your conclusion is, 808 has problem with handshake even in "bright daylight" and need to fire up flash in order to capture sharp photos. Thanks for making us understand this.

By the way, the bird shot of 808, I imagine if the L1020 has taken the same shot, it will be much sharper, more details, and properly exposed just like all the previous sample. ( I notice 808 tends to underexpose a bit under bright daylight and high contrast)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
808 doesn't have the problem with handshake, well unless your hands are shaking :) that's what you have OIS for on 1020

we don't know what settings are used there...remember that 808 can produce even sharper photos than 1020 if needed, as it has the sharpness setting unlike 1020 ;)

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that Lumia 1020 is the best for the average user, who does not even think that he is a photograper ... :)

I am an Lumia 920 owner and I like take specially family and travel photos ... the most photos are taken in "auto" scene, just sometimes I might lock ISO or use other scene, like backlit ... well, I do not even own tripod and I would think that owning and carrying a such one is out of the question, specially during travels (I like moving around, with limited hand bags)

Anyway, auto scene photos look really really great by Lumia 1020 - better than Pureview 808 photos ... and I believe what I see, so Lumia 1020 is a way to go, for me ...

I think that videos will be great too, by Lumia 1020. I have seen some night videos and they look really great ... well, there is setting for 24/25/30 fps for 720 and 1080p and OIS too, so it sounds very good for me and recording voice is extremely good too ...

By the way, is there equal settings for video in Pureview 808 ? - those setting should be very useful for late evening videos ...

Hope that Nokia will make a step bigger sensor model too, for the old Pureview 808 users - then all users will be happy :)

Yes, overall the L1020 is better for you. You don't have to worry about blurry shots in bright daylight. Trust your eyes and see the samples :)

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
All comparisons that are made by using auto settings are useless, since those doesn't show true potential of cameras. For example night shot taken using 925 or 1020 on auto are clearly very overexposed and therefore lack details from well lit areas. Especially 925 can produce far better images in that area. Same think for 808 where you can tweak sharpness or saturation.

I really would like to see comparison where all settings are used to produce best shot possible.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
All comparisons that are made by using auto settings are useless, since those doesn't show true potential of cameras. For example night shot taken using 925 or 1020 on auto are clearly very overexposed and therefore lack details from well lit areas. Especially 925 can produce far better images in that area. Same think for 808 where you can tweak sharpness or saturation.

I really would like to see comparison where all settings are used to produce best shot possible.

Useless ? - so 80-90 % photos are useless :) ... the most of us are not the such serious photographers. I really hope that Nokia will make a model with very big sensor for these photographers, but it will be a limited edition as the most of us do not buy it and we do not prefer to use a tripod either ... :)

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Useless ? - so 80-90 % photos are useless :) ... the most of us are not the such serious photographers. I really hope that Nokia will make a model with very big sensor for these photographers, but it will be a limited edition as the most of us do not buy it and we do not prefer to use a tripod either ... :)

There is place for auto settings, but most of the time you plan your shot ahead anyway. So why not at least try to get exposure right by tinkering EV setting. That is most common reason for bad shots. Auto settings rarely nail the shot.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
very very rarely...maybe 1% of shots will be good on auto setting, with these big sensors there are so many factors impacting the final result

with small sensor S4/IP/One cameras auto mode is OK since they are rubbish anyway

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The easiest way to compare the two is to lock the ISO at whatever value, set the 808 to 95% jpeg compression, and leave the rest on auto. You could play with the white balance and exposure on both to get the best possible result from both phones, but then everybody starts saying that its not fair, etc.

Like for example you can max out the sharpness on the 808 so that it matches the 1020, you could also set it to vivid colors and max out the saturation so you get more punch... but that would be considered unfair.

The two phones are very different in the way they process the images, so.. its best to let them do their thing.

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see a same iso and shooter speed comparison. Is actually the lumia 1020 able to get brighter shots (because of the extra f2.2 aperture and new BSI sensor) and less shaky ones (because of the ois)? What about the noise at 100% crop in such same iso level?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ check the previous page.. I locked both at 200iso the second time around, and for some reason the 1020 chose a slower shutter speed.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm smelling a big fat filthy Finnish rat.. .

Anyone else notice that the design of the two interfaces 808 vs 1020 actually prevent any true apples to apples photo comparison??

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes.. both phones offer things the other does not. The shutter speed on the 1020 is impressive.. it needs to be tested at a sporting event, or.. I dunno, like skaters, beach volleyball .. something where we can see if it can really freeze motion.

Even dogs playing.. like with the 808 I often find myself with blurred motion if I don't turn off the ND filter and force the flash even in moderate light.

Anyway, I tired to max out the 808 in terms of sharpness yesterday and this is what I got

8Mpix pureview mode, ND filter off, sharpness to +5, 95% jpeg compression, everything else on auto.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/9446340971_39b9d9e5a6_o.jpg

MK7XYGS.jpg

I could probably get it a bit sharper if I play around with the contrast/white balance and maybe bring down the iso to 50.. but this is pretty much as good as it gets with that phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb