Some 1020 vs 808 comparisons i found in the web today

InspireMe

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes.. both phones offer things the other does not. The shutter speed on the 1020 is impressive.. it needs to be tested at a sporting event, or.. I dunno, like skaters, beach volleyball .. something where we can see if it can really freeze motion.

Even dogs playing.. like with the 808 I often find myself with blurred motion if I don't turn off the ND filter and force the flash even in moderate light.

Anyway, I tired to max out the 808 in terms of sharpness yesterday and this is what I got

8Mpix pureview mode, ND filter off, sharpness to +5, 95% jpeg compression, everything else on auto.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/9446340971_39b9d9e5a6_o.jpg

View attachment 39309

I could probably get it a bit sharper if I play around with the contrast/white balance and maybe bring down the iso to 50.. but this is pretty much as good as it gets with that phone.

I took this picture with the lights off in my room, only the TV to act as lighting. The fan was full speed. Does this show shutter speed or something else?
WP_20130806_23_38_08_Pro.jpg

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes.. both phones offer things the other does not. The shutter speed on the 1020 is impressive.. it needs to be tested at a sporting event, or.. I dunno, like skaters, beach volleyball .. something where we can see if it can really freeze motion.

Even dogs playing.. like with the 808 I often find myself with blurred motion if I don't turn off the ND filter and force the flash even in moderate light.

Anyway, I tired to max out the 808 in terms of sharpness yesterday and this is what I got

8Mpix pureview mode, ND filter off, sharpness to +5, 95% jpeg compression, everything else on auto.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/9446340971_39b9d9e5a6_o.jpg

View attachment 39309

I could probably get it a bit sharper if I play around with the contrast/white balance and maybe bring down the iso to 50.. but this is pretty much as good as it gets with that phone.

you see there is a minimum amount of noise in the sky even with maximum sharpness...1020 exhibits more noise even in 5 MP resolution...

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to save the manual settings adjustments on the 808 to serve as a readily available profile or a new default? That seems to be lacking right now for the 1020 and it tends to make the automatic results comparisons more relevant than they might be otherwise. To be honest, this thread, which is already pretty interesting, will be a lot more interesting in a few months after the first software tweaks are in place for the 1020.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
you see there is a minimum amount of noise in the sky even with maximum sharpness...1020 exhibits more noise even in 5 MP resolution...

I know..

I was just looking at some moto x pics, and that new sensor seems to be dealing well with the sky noise, but everything else is a mess.

Is it possible to save the manual settings adjustments on the 808 to serve as a readily available profile or a new default? .

Yes, you can save up to 3 separate image profiles. I have one for daylight (max quality), one for sunset/sunrise, and one for full resolution.

c1, c2, c3..

Nokia-808-PureView-camera-screenshot-3.jpg

And .. I agree, the 1020 will only get better with more updates.

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to know more about oppo n lens.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/06/oppo-n-lens-series-camera-render/

After having a lumia 920 for a while (and my friends and family have some lumia 520 too) I think android flagships work better than any WP at the moment. I decided to sell my lumia 920 (won in a contest) and stay with my xperia z (I hate android, but in this phone android is far faster than lumia).

I really wanted the lumia 1020 to be my new phone because I love photography, but besides I think WP needs a little more time to improve itself and 1020 is not what I thought (with I've seen, 808 is better), I'll better stay with my xperia Z a bit longer and I'll wait for WP to improve (notification center, faster multitasking, faster app opening...) and new phones to come (probably a 5" fullHD and pureview?).

A real 808 in WP would have been worth to go to WP even with it weakness (in my opinion), but a new 41-mpx- xperia z isn't for me, it doesn't compensate. My phone's screen is bigger, has more resolution, it's thinner, faster... More complete overall. Lumia 1020 is just a 41mpx-920. And lumia 920 camera didn't make me hold it beside my top android phone, and finally I've decided lumia 1020 won't do either :(

I'll continue reading, following wp advances from near, and Nokia new announcements, but 1020 definitely is not what I was waiting for. :(

Last edited:

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It seems you know nothing about the Lumia 920 and the 1020. So you please should inform yourself first, before making such silly Posts.

(The Lumia 920 has no Flash, no 2 GB RAM, no AMOLED, no 158g............and so on)

I'm well informed since I've own a Lumia 920 and I read about WP every day.
Actually I prefer IPS technology over pentile superamoled by far.
920 has wireless charge, 1020 doesn't.
2 GB RAM are only noticeable in pics (they're neccesary to manage such huge images), everybody say 1020 performance isn't higher than 920 in normal pourposes.

1020 is a thinner 920 (but in the camera bump) and lighter with a better camera.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm well informed since I've own a Lumia 920 and I read about WP every day.
Actually I prefer IPS technology over pentile superamoled by far.
920 has wireless charge, 1020 doesn't.
2 GB RAM are only noticeable in pics (they're neccesary to manage such huge images), everybody say 1020 performance isn't higher than 920 in normal pourposes.

1020 is a thinner 920 (but in the camera bump) and lighter with a better camera.
So, you see, your sentence "Lumia 1020 is just a 41mpx-920." is not right. :wink:

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
the difference is really non-existing except for different(not necessarily better) type of screen and a lot better camera, if you add wireless charging to 1020 it becomes heavier than 920...

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
the difference is really non-existing
:grincry:
2 GB Ram vs. 1 GB RAM
41 MP vs. 8,7 MP
6 Lenses vs. 5 Lenses
F2.2 vs. F2.0
Flash vs. No Flash
Stereo vs. Mono Recording
158g vs. 185g
AMOLED vs. IPS LCD
Barometer vs. No Barometer
Gorilla Glas 3 vs. Gorilla Glas 2
No Wireless charging vs. Wireless charging

But yes, "the difference is really non-existing". :grincry:

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
the difference is really non-existing except for different(not necessarily better) type of screen and a lot better camera, if you add wireless charging to 1020 it becomes heavier than 920...

Have you actually weighed the 1020 charging shell? Based on the 820 charging shell weight I would expect the 1020 with shell to weigh about the same, not more, than the 920. 27 grams seems about right to me. I will check when mine arrives on Friday. At least 1020 owners have the option to keep the weight low except when charging. That is an advantage for those who care about lighter weight when carrying the phone around..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a quality difference between the 808 and 1020 - but that difference is a very pale shade of gray - not even close to black and white.. I think the differences in available software and processing are already beginning to fill the (small) gap between the two. I'll be the big man here and say that the 808 probably is a slightly better camera, but the 1020 is close enough to make me switch. And some things are already pleasing me. For example in my picture below, if you ignore the (ahem) slight grain, I can tell you that I have photographed hours of sunsets with the 808 with every auto and creative mode setting imaginable, and I could never get anything as close in beauty or accuracy as this shot from Saturday with the 1020 - on plain old automatic setting!

If you are open-minded and want to see some gut-punch stunning shots with this camera, this is the "Lumia 1020" Group on Flickr:

Flickr: The Nokia Lumia 1020 Pool

Here is my 1020 sunset shot:

1020Sunset.jpg

All of that said, the Oppo N-Lens looks like it actually may be a candidate for a PureView Killer!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree.. you have to be really picky to complain about either camera, or to compare for that matter.

Your sunset photo is very good indeed.. and if you actually resize it down to 5Mpix its pretty clean :) But you should be able to get a similar result with the 808 straight from pureview mode.

How big is the sensor on that oppo N thing ? If its bigger than the pureview phones, then yes, if its smaller.. it doesn't stand a chance.

Also, we have to wait and see what kind of optics it has.. something tells me its going to be narrower than the PV phones.

And, lastly.. its running that malware of an OS called android..

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
"Malware".. haha

I have to clarify that I did get some very good sunset photos from the 808, but anything on the horizon with the sun either there or just disappeared still had very distorted color. The camera did it's own thing that was beautiful, but it just didn't look like what I was seeing. This one above was pretty much exactly what I was looking at.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
:grincry:
2 GB Ram vs. 1 GB RAM
41 MP vs. 8,7 MP
6 Lenses vs. 5 Lenses
F2.2 vs. F2.0
Flash vs. No Flash
Stereo vs. Mono Recording
158g vs. 185g
AMOLED vs. IPS LCD
Barometer vs. No Barometer
Gorilla Glas 3 vs. Gorilla Glas 2
No Wireless charging vs. Wireless charging

But yes, "the difference is really non-existing". :grincry:

well basically you have technically described the second part of my post so we do agree there :)

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually weighed the 1020 charging shell? Based on the 820 charging shell weight I would expect the 1020 with shell to weigh about the same, not more, than the 920. 27 grams seems about right to me. I will check when mine arrives on Friday. At least 1020 owners have the option to keep the weight low except when charging. That is an advantage for those who care about lighter weight when carrying the phone around..

I weighed the charging shell I got today and it weighs 24 grams. That makes the 1020 slightly lighter than the naked 920 even with the charging case. It would be a false comparison anyway since the weight of a 920 with the lightest of cases will exceed 200 grams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12