The 1020: Nokia either did Microsoft a big favor, or screwed Windows Phone entirely

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What an interesting article.

It seems as if Nokia screwed up, if feels like it's a bad idea, because people are being negative towards the so called "grainy" pictures, High price point, and awkward (what awkward?) camera position.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
THIS THREAD IS POINTLESS!!! .....

“Extremely popular” Nokia Lumia 1020 running out of stock once again at AT&T | WMPoweruser

The 1020 has caused such buzz and marketing hype since its announcement that people are buying it like crazy regardless of the high price! How can a phone with industry leading technology and unique features EVER hurt the platform it is running on???

Out of stock again?

It would be pretty hard to do tons of phones with the 41 megapixel sensor.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 has caused such buzz and marketing hype since its announcement that people are buying it like crazy regardless of the high price

This is the point of the thread... an article like this would only be written if the product is significant enough, which the 1020 happens to be..

The author seems to think that hardware advancement like the 41Mpix package in the 1020 are kind of easy to come by.. when in fact that whole imaging system has been in the making for probably over 6 years now..

Other OEMs will have a very hard time finding such a strong differentiator anytime soon... even if it is camera related

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
As always, it seems Nokia is getting flak for actually putting 110% effort behind WP. If other OEMs are scared off the platform will anyone actually notice? Having Nokia as the sole WP OEM will actually simplify updates and people will know they are getting a well supported product and with ios and android still available next Kia will still be driven to innovate to compete with them.

I say its time to drop those leeches, HTC and Samsung and let Nokia become the defacto WP OEM for Microsoft.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why I stay away from pocketnow unless its Michael Fisher doing the talking! Because all the other guys over there are ignorant fanboys itching to vomit out their bias opinions!
Please excuse my bluntness but really guys... stick with mobile nations sites,you will be much better off...

Stephen has no clue what he is talking about in that senseless article..
Pushing Innovation and getting the edge over your competitors is ALWAYS a good thing! Samsung and HTC sell such a minimal amount of Windows Phones compared to Nokia (and it gets less and less every day) that it will soon be negligible whether they stay on board with the platform or not!

There is a strong case to be made for the positives of having only ONE hardware vendor linked to ONE platform exclusively (just look at apple for one example) Nokia has realized this and moved in for the kill. Nokia will becomeWindows Phone and Windows Phone will become Nokia, The reason this will be so successful (maybe even more so then apple in the near future) is because this one hardware"partner" manufactures Smartphone’s in massive global quantities IN EVERY PRICE POINT, IN EVERY MARKET, on a scale that only Samsung could compete with.

Bottom line... The success or failure of a platform does not rely on the amount of hardware brands supporting it but rather if the platform itself and the ecosystem in which it operates continues to be relevant and deliver evolving services that meet the need of the consumer.

Last edited:

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
hey my last 2 smart phones ran android, prior to that i was a palm man, with one encounter with the berry.

point, this phone made me leave sammy android land for nokia WP land.

I doubt I am alone.

ERGO they did MS a favor

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
OK I take it back... this thread is not pointless at all...

Sorry for jumping on my horse and doing a crazy battle cry without thinking in context.... thought you actually believed the 1020 could be a negative for WP in some insane way :unhappysweat:

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's 1020 is EXACTLY what WP8 needs right now. The other major companies are trying to kill Microsoft, either covertly or overtly (all of them: Google, Samsung, Instagram, etc.). MSFT needs to create a buzz around WP8. The 1020 is an aspirational device, not a big seller. It's the thing that most people will want to get but can't because it's too expensive ... and, hopefully, they'll settle for other WP8 phones.

The other thing WP8 needs badly is a phablet. At least 5" but preferably 5.5 to 6". Forget 1920x1080, stick with 720 or 768 for now. WP8 needs to be competitive in each segment of the smartphone market.

Edit: the OEM issue isn't because of the 1020, it's because MSFT is paying NOK $250M/quarter. NOK is basically getting WP8 for free. How are the other OEMs going to compete against that when there's a more popular and free alternative available (Android)? Would you leave $1B/year on the table? I wouldn't. The big question at MSFT is whether to buy Nokia's smartphone business and take WP8 proprietary or not. On the pro side MSFT would have the ability to optimize the hell out of both the hardware and software, which would slim down the OS, increase performance, improve battery life, etc. Also, if by some miracle WP took off in the market, MSFT would collect all the profits. The downside is taking on all those employees and associated overhead. I don't see cutting out the other OEMs as a downside since NOK is the de facto smartphone arm of MSFT anyway. MSFT's status as a tech "behemoth" depends on the success of WP but I don't think they fully realize it (yet).

I think that there's a very real chance that in five years the PC world will be completely different from now. The OEMs are abandoning MSFT and Windows en masse for Android. You could see three classes of laptop/desktop hardware: Microsoft branded PCs (no DELL or HP or other OEMs), Android PCs (from OEMs), and AAPL PCs (MacBooks, etc.). I don't like it but that's what I think is coming.

Closing on an optimistic note: there is some discord in the Android and carrier camps about the dominance of Samsung. There's a chance Samsung may try to create their own smartphone OS and disrupt everything. Here's hoping...

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As always, it seems Nokia is getting flak for actually putting 110% effort behind WP..

I know that a lot of us here like Microsoft, my self included, but Nokia got the short end of the deal with MS ... they lost their independence, and now they are pretty much co-depended on Microsoft. This is more from a short term perspective... we will see what happens long term

Microsoft on the other hand got an amazing deal. Without Nokia I really don't see how they were going to push WP to the levels it is at today. Was HTC going to carry the WP flag and actually make a difference ? No. Was Samsung going to do it ? No.

Microsoft would've been in trouble.

Add to that the fact that if Nokia weren't using WP, they would either be using their own software, or even worse, that malware of an OS from Google, which would make Nokia a competitor against MS.. and we all know how that ended with Windows Mobile vs. Nokia/Symbian..

So, yes, they are putting 110% and that is good for them.. but its simply great for Microsoft.

Nokia will becomeWindows Phone and Windows Phone will become Nokia

MS might as well just buy them.. no wonder they were thinking about it, but I bet if that becomes the case, they will.

I don't know where things stand with their own Surface phone, but at this point ... how is it supposed to compete with the 1020 and its future clones ? So Microsoft will be in same boat as HTC and Sammy are right now facing the 1020..

But yes, I could see that happening, but I am not sure if Microsoft want that to happen. Probably not.

The other major companies are trying to kill Microsoft, either covertly or overtly (all of them: Google, Samsung, Instagram, etc.). .

Both MS and Nokia have been in the crosshairs of a lot of people, or so it seems... I don't know why that is, but Nokia got destroyed by the US tech media in the past 7-8 years. It was consistent pounding for a long, long time. Is it stock prices.. I don't fking know, but it felt like there was an agenda to bring Nokia down. Of course, Nokia didn't help themselves by having awful management, etc,. but still.. So finally they did go down and Microsoft got them.

Microsoft has been the black sheep in the tech industry for decades.. its so annoying.. I think we are finally seeing that trend changing, but its still pretty bad.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Mike, firstly you have a couple of things spot on but as for it not being a big seller... See my first post!! Initial sales are very positive.
Sure it won't sell as much units as say a 520 but the huge price makes up for that!

And secondly, Nokia has the phablet/tablet thing covered so dont worry yourself about that, leaks suggest a massive 6" device is already in mass production and we will probably see the first of this new generation of ultra large WP phablets before the year is out.

And thirdly 1080p screens is a must, especially on larger devices, not because of display quality, you are right, a well calibrated 768 screen would do the job but unfortunately a large chunk of the market, especially the younger demographic buys flagship devices based purely on specs! Samsung knows this all to well...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Other OEMs, that's cute. For the time being it appears that Windows Phone is on its way to being entirely a Nokia effort (on the OEM side). At current rates a very small proportion of WP8 devices in use will be non-Nokia, at least 90% of us, it'll be Lumias. Of course, Huawei might make some significant in-roads, but it doesn't seem like they're really interested in Windows Phone. The only other wild card IMHO are very low-end OEMs in China and India that might have been approached by Microsoft to manufacture super cheap Windows Phone handsets, we'll see when that happens though.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has been the black sheep in the tech industry for decades.. its so annoying.. I think we are finally seeing that trend changing, but its still pretty bad.
AAPL has the SF tech press in their back pocket. Always have and always will. The most hilarious thing I've read in a long time is one of the SF tech press saying that they had no idea that Jobs looked at competitors' HW and SW when coming up with the iPhone (which came up in the Samsung patent trial). Apparently they thought Jobs came down from a mountain occasionally with stone tablets to "change the world". Defeating that level of naivete/******-ism is impossible, give it up!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
bilzkh good point on the Asian OEMs... they might play a part in this, but I think they would mostly go for andro at first

AAPL has the SF tech press in their back pocket. Always have and always will. The most hilarious thing I've read in a long time is one of the SF tech press saying that they had no idea that Jobs looked at competitors' HW and SW when coming up with the iPhone (which came up in the Samsung patent trial). Apparently they thought Jobs came down from a mountain occasionally with stone tablets to "change the world". Defeating that level of naivete/******-ism is impossible, give it up!

lol.. not that I am surprised, but if you call yourself a "journalist" at least do your job as such, but you are right, they mostly sound like fanboys, not real journalists.

And yes, Apple pretty much owns Cali in terms of popularity, and hence.. its sort of understandable for the tech blogs to be in that group as well. I live in the bay area and to be honest.. all I see every day is iphones and ipads. All of my friends have iPhones.. like.. all of them. Its amazing.

I am not sure how things are in other parts of the country, but I fly quite a bit and I don't know if airports are representative, but ya.. mostly apple phones. You have to give it to them, they took a untapped market and just murdered it in terms of sales.

It will be very hard for Microsoft and Nokia to penetrate this stronghold..

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So not only do they assume that Nokia might've plateaued, but that other WP OEM's might stop building for the platform as well.

For the first part, really? You mean to tell me with this SPEC WAR that seems to be carrying on for about 3-4 years with Android, you think technology can plateau? Hell we said phones couldn't get bigger than the Galaxy Note, but they have. Batteries couldn't last longer, but they have. And processing chips have been growing like crazy. If we're going to write an article about the concern of Nokia running out of ideas, then there needs to be a DAILY article about what's left for Android OEM's to pack into a phone other than the kitchen sink

As far as the other OEM's, who really cares? It already feels like it's a Nokia platform anyhow, so add that to the lack of updates and app availability on non-Nokia phones, and you see that Nokia has been eclipsing the competition since they've joined.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The one OEM model only works for Apple. We need the other OEMS to boost WP sales in places where Nokia is still weak (US, S. America, China). If it had just been Nokia the WP market share would be less than what it is. The other OEMS are helping and they will continue to do so.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia and Microsoft should bring 925 kind of device of 4.7" or 5" immediately to market in all carriers to capture the corporate accounts. This year will be a year Blackberry users switching to WP. Looking at the O2 Germany cost saving by switching to WP, I believe all companies will do this to improve there profit margin. Better cost cutting solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss