The 1020: Nokia either did Microsoft a big favor, or screwed Windows Phone entirely

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I just stopped watching / reading Pockenow period if it's not by Michael Fisher.

Too many closed minded fan boys that doesn't praise innovated future techs.

biboyflip

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That article is non sense in my opinion, not to mention that this was written by Stephen which is an Android fan and hates WP.

Basically what the article is saying, Nokia produces TRUE hardware innovation that is miles ahead the competition and its BAD!? (seriously?)

Cmon, when did great innovation become a bad thing? I bet he'd sing a different tune if the 1020 was released with Android OS instead.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought he raised an interesting question.. The other OEMs are feeling the Nokia pressure for sure.

Also, its not like it hasn't happened before... Nokia drove everyone else away from Symbian, they simply couldn't compete with them. Granted, the situation was very different, Nokia had much better understanding of the OS than anyone else, but from what I am seeing so far, they seem to be a bit ahead in those terms once again.. with Microsoft's help of course.

Why would you buy any other WP than Nokia ? Their portfolio is much stronger than anyone else's.. by a significant margin, and the 1020 open that gap further.

HTC are pretty much left out.. I mean, they have Samsung to deal with on the andro side, and Nokia on the WP side.. ya.. good luck with that

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia put everything into one basket. And they seem to have pulled it off.

What chances do Samsung's renamed WP / HTC's half-baked WP phones have? :grin:

Hope MS & competitors bring their A game soon.

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
What MS Need is a faster Update Rate and implement Top 25 Uservoice Request by end of this year.

Lumia 1020 is just nice and way to advertise the *** out of the other platforms.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I am pretty annoyed with Nokia about this whole "new flagship" devices coming out every few months. They have released 2 arguable "replacements" to the 920 since October. Honestly, they are worse than Apple. I have had my 925 for 3 weeks and it already feels old and inferior, which it is. Thing is, the 925 has only been out for about 2 months in the UK, yeah that's right, 2 months, while it was being hailed the "flagship device" of Nokia. As soon as MS release their own windows phone I will buy it in a heartbeat. If + made a windows phone, which evidence points towards they will, I will probably get that over the MS one. I love my 925 though, but Nokia needs to slow down.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I am pretty annoyed with Nokia about this whole "new flagship" devices coming out every few months. They have released 2 arguable "replacements" to the 920 since October. Honestly, they are worse than Apple. I have had my 925 for 3 weeks and it already feels old and inferior, which it is. Thing is, the 925 has only been out for about 2 months in the UK, yeah that's right, 2 months, while it was being hailed the "flagship device" of Nokia. As soon as MS release their own windows phone I will buy it in a heartbeat. If + made a windows phone, which evidence points towards they will, I will probably get that over the MS one. I love my 925 though, but Nokia needs to slow down.

Listen dude! You should not feel that way about your 925.. in my opinion Nokia has 4 flagships right now... the 1020 is a niche device and the true next king of the hill will only be unvailed the end of the year.
Your 925 has not even been released here is South Africa! the 920 is the best we have here and its the same for many other markets! YOUR DEVICE IS NOT INFERIOR by any measure! the overall experience between the 920, 925, 928 and 1020 are almost exactly similar... sure it has a extra gig of ram but put these 4 devices next to each other and fire up any app or game and you wont even notice that extra ram!
Graphically intensive games might take a smidge less time to load but thats it, the ram is mainly there for the insane image processing needed for all those pixels the camera pumps out.
Each one of these 4 flagships has their own pro's and cons and you're still rocking the one and only metal Lumia out there and will be for a while it seems.

All the software and OS goodies unique to the 1020 right now will also very soon be delivered to each of these phones via update. So you really have nothing to cry about dude. Your phone is still a flagship and will only get better with time. Nokia will stick to the 3 month cycle and there's no stopping that.... and its a good thing for both nokia and Windows Phone

wonderwhy

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my 925 after having the option of a 1020. I think it's the perfect device - well for me. Its thin light and doesn't have a massive attachment bolted to the back I.e. The 1020.

To me size matters ;) the 1020 is a beautiful device but is massive. The extra ram well its mostly used to process pics ... For some reason maybe a better rom my 925 feels much more snappier than my 920

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

wonderwhy

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my 925 after having the option of a 1020. I think it's the perfect device - well for me. Its thin light and doesn't have a massive attachment bolted to the back I.e. The 1020.

To me size matters ;) the 1020 is a beautiful device but is massive. The extra ram well its mostly used to process pics ... For some reason maybe a better rom my 925 feels much more snappier than my 920

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

That's partially Microsoft's fault.

If their platform supported higher end specs, there won't be any need for Nokia to keep trying to find differentiators so that they can be somewhat competitive on the spec sheet side of things.

Also, don't forget that after more than decade of having their own OS, this platform is relatively new for Nokia, so they are still trying to find their way around it... so that's why we are having new models come out often, and each one is a significant improvement over the previous one.

If you actually follow the industry, you would've know that the 900 and the 920 were "compromised" devices, and they will need to be replaced very soon after release. Dare I say, the 1020 is a similar situation, but the camera tech simply puts everything else about the phone in the "good enough" category simply because the camera is above and beyond anything else on the market.

Its the same with the Nokia 808. Its a killer feature that everyone wants.

I think we are still a year away from a "maxed out" Nokia, a.. complete product that isn't missing anything major. The 1020 should've had IP57 certification, a snap 800, and probably a higher res screen.

If you own a 920, I would say wait it out.. there will be an upgraded version of the 1020 in the next 6-9 months, simply because Microsoft will push WP 8.1 out and all the goodies that come with that, so.. the 41mpix package is already in mass production, all they need to do is upgrade the hardware unlocked by the newer version of the OS.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 925's a great phone.

But 1020 was always going to come out.

When Nokia came out with Lumia 925 I thought they blew it - because EOS was just around the corner. Apparently it could co-exist.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion AT&T is the one screwing Microsoft by having an exclusive. ~70% of the possible customers in the USA cant buy the 1020.

In my case I said F-it, and got a $80 521. Now it's going to be even harder to justify a 1020 or whatever they call it on the other carriers because this $80 is pretty darn good. Is the 1020 eight times better? No, not really.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa