Full body protector similar to invisible shield?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Invisible Shield doesn't make one for the 1020 yet, according to their website. Has anyone come across another company that does?

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
The full body ATT is selling does not cover the camera lens part. Skinomi started selling a full body skin today. I'm waiting to hear back if it covers the camera. ArmorSkin is selling a full body with camera piece starting 7/31. Both can be found on Amazon.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll be interested to see pictures of the device after someone installs this. My dad had the AT&T store install one on his black 920; the shield combined with the matte finish made it look like his phone was covered with saran wrap. He pulled it off after about 3 minutes.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I put on the Zagg Dry from AT&T yesterday, I quite like it... i'll post some pics later today when I get home. I've tried Skinomi and ArmorSkin for other products and I wasn't satisfied with the quality.

So i'll leave a few quick impressions.

Front is clear with the usual orange peel effect. I don't notice it when the screen is on, but anyone who's familiar with Zagg already knows what the screen shield is like. Size is perfect, leaves just enough room for good coverage, but not so exact that it makes it a hassle to align.

The back is matte, but leaves a shine to it. It's a bit distracting under lights. It doesn't cover the sides or the camera hump and the cutout is pretty generous for the wireless charging.

Also, it's a dry install. It was my first time doing a dry install and I botched it up, BAD. I had bubbles everywhere! I ended up peeling it off and turning it into a wet install by mixing water with soap. It made the install MUCH easier, i'd recommend doing it this way if your having issues with alignment.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The back looks nice! So it actually has texture to it unlike the saran wrap looking type someone else mentioned? I like that. I must checkout the store today!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't look bad at all! I'm quite conflicted about what to do about a case. I know I need one, but I simply love the feel of this phone. It almost reminds me of a brand new chalk board. Speaking of, I'd love to see Nokia release an updated 920 with this body, sans the camera hump. Slim and light!

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The back looks nice! So it actually has texture to it unlike the saran wrap looking type someone else mentioned? I like that. I must checkout the store today!

Yup, I like it. I'll probably throw a wireless charging plate on my phone and never see it again though. I always use skins on the back with a case, I've learned that dust will get behind your case and scratch it to hell if you aren't cleaning it once every few days. The skin eliminates this problem.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I picked one up today at the store, and since I usually get frustrated installing these myself, I asked the manager if one of his associates were good at installing these. He didn't do a very good job because there were quite a few bubbles. He said it should go away in a couple days. In my experience they never do. So when I got home I took my credit card and started squeegee-ing the bubble out. That was a bad idea: it left stress mark looking streaks along the path of the bubble to the edge. This is the first screen protector I've seen do that. I should've left the bubbles alone! ARGH! There goes my $30 + tax. :( Don't get me wrong I think its a great product and looks great, but you gotta be able to do a good job installing it.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I picked one up today at the store, and since I usually get frustrated installing these myself, I asked the manager if one of his associates were good at installing these. He didn't do a very good job because there were quite a few bubbles. He said it should go away in a couple days. In my experience they never do. So when I got home I took my credit card and started squeegee-ing the bubble out. That was a bad idea: it left stress mark looking streaks along the path of the bubble to the edge. This is the first screen protector I've seen do that. I should've left the bubbles alone! ARGH! There goes my $30 + tax. :( Don't get me wrong I think its a great product and looks great, but you gotta be able to do a good job installing it.

Ack! You should've read my post about turning it into a wet install. Anyways ninjaap, it has a lifetime warranty. If you register your product, I believe you can send it in and receive a new one. You just have to pay shipping.

To anyone who is doing the install themselves, i'll leave some directions on how I did my install below.

1) Find a microfiber towel, dish washing liquid, small bowl, squeegee (or credit card), a good light, and some water
2) Mix dish washing liquid with warm water in a small bowl (not a ton of soap, I used maybe 1/8th teaspoon).
3) Wipe down device with microfiber.
4) Wet your fingers with the liquid and spread the solution on the back of the invisible shield, rewet your finger as needed.
5) Align the product on your device, the shield should be VERY slippery, make sure to avoid water getting into ports (ear piece, micro usb, etc). Use microfiber towel as needed to soak up excess water.
6) Holding down the shield with your finger (so it doesn't move when you squeegee), run the squeegee across the shield, away from any ports or holes.
7) Use microfiber towel to soak up excess water.
8) Use a light to see if there's any dust under your shield. If you see dust, lift the screen shield up, wet your fingers, remove dust, rewet shield, and reapply.
9) Squeegee as much water out as you can, after a few swipes the shield should be stuck on there pretty good.
10) Repeat for other side.

**DISCLAIMER**This is the process I used to install my DRY Zagg, I am not responsible for any water damage that may occur when installing this on your device. That being said, I can say that i've installed probably two dozen invisible shield type products on multiple devices and have NEVER had water damage. Just use common sense and be careful.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Tried registering, but no option for 1020 in the drop down menu yet. I'll probably try calling them tomorrow. Thanks!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The back piece started to peel, because there was a corner that kinda stuck out a tiny bit. Went back to the same ATT store and showed them. The manager was very nice about it and offered a replacement. I told them I wanted to try it myself this time, but she insisted they make it right and assured me this new associate is an expert when it comes to installing these. So I believed her, and it turned out great! That and the fact I actually scored a soundwave from toys r us this morning, made my day as bright as my yellow 1020!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted out! I always at least get a screen cover for some piece of mind.

I recently (900, then 920, now 1020) started using a screen cover because I like to place my phone face down on the table. Previous Shields were terrible looking. As mentioned, they looked like saran wrap on the 900 and 920, so I never bothered with the back. And that's how I got into the habit of putting my phone face down: I did not want to scratch the back of the phone.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I've always had this huge fear of my screen cracking... I always thought that without a screen shield, I would get micro scratches. Those scratches would in turn cause my phone to shatter if I were to drop it (kind of like chips causing windshields to shatter if you hit a pot hole). Not sure if i'm just over thinking it though, but that's why I ALWAYS get a screen shield. Even if it's gorilla glass 10 or whatever =P.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

To anyone who is doing the install themselves, i'll leave some directions on how I did my install below.

snguyen10, Thnx for the heads-up :) I've got some of the "install spray" leftover from other Zagg's I've installed on other phones, do you think that would work as well with this type of cover?

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the sprays are the same, soapy water. You could empty it and make your own solution if you're worried. I would attempt a dry install first and if it doesn't work out, peel it off and do it wet.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
*inhale*

Wow... once again I had to replace my shield. My 1020 bricked on me this morning and ATT store replaced my device for a new one. But they refused to replace my shield a second time. They told me that I need to get a replacement from Zagg. I told them that the 1020 wasn't available online yet so I cant even register it if I wanted to. Manager calls someone from Zagg, tells me it will be added on their website in a few hours and check back and to try registering later. Got home, checked online, there it was. Registered and immediately ordered a replacement. Had to pay $3.99 for USPS shipping though. I guess that's okay. But I'm hoping that's the end of my problems...

*exhale*

So for those who haven't registered there shield yet, you're good to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon