Internet Connection Extremely Slow using WIFI

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, strangely (and fortunately), all it needed in my case was the all-curing "off and on again" trick with my router.
Ha, unfortunately I haven't been so lucky :(. I really wish I could figure it out because it is specific to my specific wi-fi network/configuration.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick question. Are all the sufferers of this problem using dual-band routers? I ask because in the UK, Apple devices have a similar issues with BT dual band routers.

If so, possible solutions are:
- disable one of the bands and use only the other
- make sure the two bands have different SSID's (eg "name.2" and "name.5") and lock the phone to just one of them
- changing channels sometimes helps but often not

It would seem the problem may be caused by the device switching itself between the bands for whatever reason

Hope that helps someone

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question. Are all the sufferers of this problem using dual-band routers? I ask because in the UK, Apple devices have a similar issues with BT dual band routers.

If so, possible solutions are:
- disable one of the bands and use only the other
- make sure the two bands have different SSID's (eg "name.2" and "name.5") and lock the phone to just one of them
- changing channels sometimes helps but often not

It would seem the problem may be caused by the device switching itself between the bands for whatever reason

Hope that helps someone
Thanks for the input, here is my experience trying the things you mentioned:

- I have tried disabling the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands individually but I experience the issues on both
- I have even tried enabling the Wi-Fi on my ISP's gateway and connecting directly to it (I have my wireless router in DMZ behind my gateway), but this doesn't help either
- having different SSID's doesn't resolve the issue, nor does switching routers as mentioned above
- I've only tried minimal changes to channel settings but this hasn't helped the situation either (no worse / no better)

It almost seems like it's an ISP/routing issue, but for some weird reason it's only affecting windows phones on my network.

ClarkyEWK

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,
same issue on my Lumia 920, it must be some wrong setting with the routing table in my router that affect only my windows phone in the local network.
I found out that creating a guest network with the same WPA2 password of the main wireless network, that can not be able to access my LAN and all work like a charm.
But not be able to access my local network is a huge limitation. I hope that incoming nokia black update will fix this annoying issue.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
@ClarkyEWK, I hope the Black firmware update helps you - but it didn't help me.

However an update from my environment, I replaced my router (again) with the Netgear Nighthawk R7000, and so far the issue has not occurred. Differences in setting up this router:
1. I did not place my new router in DMZ (it sits behind my AT&T Uverse gateway)
2. I used new network names
3. I also used new WPA 2 AES passwords

I'll give an update if the issue occurs again; I'm going to slowly restore my network configuration (SSIDs, passwords, and DMZ) over the next week or two

ClarkyEWK

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
@chsoriano, thanks for your reply.

Apparently the problem might be to use the netgear router in cascade to another one.
Like you, I have the gateway supplied by my ISP that I connected to the WAN port of my Netgear DGND4000. All of this seems to bother my Nokia Lumia 920,
simply open the photos in an album located on Skydrive or Facebook through the pictures hub on my Lumia 920 in wi-fi is prohibitive.
If I do connect to the guest network, which has the same security settings as the main one, but with the only limitation of not being able to access to the local network,
then everything works smoothly.
In my network, only my Nokia show this issue, all other smartphones working well in the same conditions.
I hope that your Lumia might be able to handle a better wifi connection with your new R7000, by the way, nice router ! ;)

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So just an update on my network situation:

- I finally put my new router (Netgear R7000) in DMZ behind my AT&T U-Verse gateway
- After a week the network is still functioning as expected when using my Windows phone. I'm not experiencing slow responses on any of the websites as before (Youtube, Wikipedia, Facebook primarily)
- Added my wireless printer (802.11g 2.4Ghz device) and that has not impacted the phone either
- After several days, I also enabled QoS (downstream) and prioritized my phone and surface over wi-fi. No apparent impacts.

So overall things are going well, only thing I haven't done is rename SSID. I'm going to try that this week

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I figured it out - it has to do with IPV6 on my router. When I enabled IPV6 on the Netgear R7000, the same sites as before (Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook) start taking forever to load but only on my Windows Phone.

I should note that my AT&T gateway (2Wire 3800HGV-B) doesn't support IPV6, which I suspect might have something to do with it but I can't be certain. I'm going to call AT&T tomorrow and make them send me one of the new Motorola gateways (that do support IPV6 and provide 802.11 b/g/n/ac.

ClarkyEWK

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I figured it out - it has to do with IPV6 on my router. When I enabled IPV6 on the Netgear R7000, the same sites as before (Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook) start taking forever to load but only on my Windows Phone.

I won't believe it, I've deactivated the IPv6 support on my Netgear DGND4000, now my Nokia Lumia 920 work really fine when it's connected through wi-fi.
So I think that Windows Phone 8 doesn't support IPv6 yet !

Thank you, you have been decisive ! :)

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the same or even worse issue with my Lumia 730, I have TP-Link WR74ON router. I had issue with painfully slow wifi, No Internet Access Wifi error. I tried many settings, then I changed in Wireless Settings, Channel to 13, Mode to 11n and Channel Width to 40mhz. After that wifi connection improved, and no issues anymore.

Posted this just in case someone else has the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster