Internet Connection Extremely Slow using WIFI

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The internet connection on my 1020 is extremely slow when WIFI is connected (every other device I own is fine and can easily clear 30 meg download, 5 meg up.) When I use search, the phone screen times out and shuts off before returning any results (times out after 1 minute). I have reset the phone this morning to start over but the problem remains. The speed is perfect using Data and WIFI off, but once WIFI is enabled, the internet comes to a near halt. Any ideas?

Also, can anyone comment on battery life?

Thank you!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Try turning airplane mode on then off, if that doesn't work turn off wireless for any devices that are connected to your wireless and see what happens with the 1020 then if it still slow you may want to get a replacement or take it to Nokia Care.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Turning airplane mode on and off did resolve the issue. Any ideas on how long it will fix the issue?

Not sure it ranges some members said that was all what was needed, other a few day to a week.

I think it should be fine now if it does happen again post back.

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Happened after sleeping the phone again. Repeating this "fix" does solve the issue but it is really annoying. Called Nokia but was closed for weekend, so called ATT - overnighting a new phone so hopefully this one will work better, I'm hesitant the phone was the actual issue or software or possibly my router, but every other device works perfectly with it.

Here's to the new phone working...

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia usually do reliability / general / wifi improvement quickly after release.

In the main while, What router do you use?

Try latest firmware? Maybe tweak setting?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just ran Microsoft's Network Test app on my Wi-Fi and got fantastic results (10Mbps down/3Mbps up on a 5Mbps/512Kbps connection... they must have upgraded me at some point). My web browsing in IE is good too.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia usually do reliability / general / wifi improvement quickly after release.

In the main while, What router do you use?

Try latest firmware? Maybe tweak setting?

Precisely what I would like to know... router make/model. I generally use/recommend Cisco/Linksys branded but make sure to keep the firmware updated on them. A lot of really old Linksys APs are buggy, and Belkin and Netgear used to be terrible... though I've heard newer ones are better.

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The router is a 3700 netgear. Never once had an issue with it. Have purchased and set up three of these for me and neighbors. I have on this network- 16 devices I can think of off the top of my head and more devices than I can remember connected, if there's one thing in sure of its that the router is sound.

If you type in WiFi problems with Nokia on google there are pages of these issues and it seems to be a bug that was supposedly addressed in gdr2. It works fine if you flip airplane mode on and off so I've limited the problem to the device as I've read quite a few forums with this issue on Nokia Lumia devices.

Will receive the new one on Monday or Tues, will update then.

Thank everyone for the help!

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problems. I was also surprised to see downloads of songs on Xbox Music to store on the phone were going over cellular data instead of the wifi when I was sitting I my living room.

To follow up on what others have mentioned, I found a thread explaining the exact problem back in July 2012 on a Lumia 900. There is an annoying workaround that seems to work for me: turn off cellular data (cell phone, sms, etc. still function). Here's the quote:

So here's my results from different settings that will probably help Nokia identify the issue and fix it.
?Cell Network Data enabled (LTE in my case) + wifi enabled = wifi should be handling all data transactions, so browsing a webpage or streaming music should go through the wifi. That is the case, however, the data connection is NEVER stable. webpages would either take forever to load or simply connection time out. music streaming will also take forever to load and when it did it would only play what was buffered then pause and try to buffer more (poor connectivity). asynchronous games that need to sync with servers are also extra slow and takes several retries.
?Cell Network Data enabled + wifi disabled = all data connectivity through cell service's data service (3g,4g,LTE) works fine. (especially after the latest update)
?Airplane mode (turn off all connections), Cell Network Disabled + Turn wifi ON = all data connectivity through wifi as expected, very fast, works like it should work always, no slowdowns or connection time outs.
?Cell Network On + Cell Data connection OFF + wifi ON = all data connectivity through wifi. This also works like the bullet above, but with the added benefit of having Calls and SMSs still available. fast wifi speed, no slowdowns or connection time outs (Recommended solution as instructed in the beginning of this post)

The bolded bullet point is basically the settings that are causing wifi connectivity problems. At least that is the case with my phone. As I've said before, this was never a problem with my HTC Arrive or Samsung Focus. The first bullet is also what I would imagine 99% of all users who have a smart phone would have configured if they turn on wifi. They will likely never go turn off their cell network or data connection unless they are out of country. If you're in your cell coverage, then you'll most likely have your cell network and cell data connections on. And if you're somewhere where you can enable wifi for better speeds, then you'll just turn that on as the phone should be "smart" enough to realize that you want to use wifi for your data. Unfortunately that is the scenario that appears to be causing the issue, and for me, the most inconvenient. I really shouldn't need to go into settings to turn off my cell data connection just so I can use the wifi normally.

wtupyo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue, with WiFi connected it's fine until the phone locks itself, then it just times out when connected. I only turn it on to upload to skydrive then back off.

Using Airport Extreme (generation before current) on 5GHZ range (wouldn't even connect on 2.5GHZ range for some reason).

Everything in the house, including the Lumia 920, works just fine with the router.

vpkb

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact issue. This is my 2nd 1020 and still seeing the same problem; other WiFi devices do not have this issue, including my 920, so my router is not the culprit. 2.4ghz is worst, consistently downloading @ less than 4mb whereas the 5.8ghz band downloads @ over 30mb.

Hopefully, Nokia is aware but I'll place a call to them anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

yohanyoung

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue on my T-Mobile Lumia 521. I have GDR2 on the phone. I have to basically disable Wi-Fi and re-enable it, or turn on airplane mode and then turn it off - something to reset the Wi-Fi stuff. I have tried a hard reset and that did not help, although it seemed to have reduced the frequency of the problem a bit. This happens on both my home and work routers. It is not the router. It is totally the phone. I've considered having it replaced, but I just haven't gotten around to it, and many people report that replacement phones have the same issue. I'm hoping T-Mobile releases GDR3 soon for the Lumia 521 and then I'll give that patch a try before returning the phone.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been having this issue on my Lumia devices since the 920. I have a Netgear R6300 router, and now that I have my Lumia 1020 I've noticed I have the exact same problem. Before I got the Netgear, I had a Cisco EA4500 and I recall experiencing the same issues with that router as well, but I don't recall it being as severe as it has been recently.

Funnily enough, I purchased the R6300 partially to rule out the router being an issue. During the process, I attempted different configurations (router, frequency, channel, airplane mode + wif-fi, etc.) and it's almost always the same issue. With wi-fi off, performance is excellent, but when wi-fi is on, everything mentioned above (store, search, music streaming, even some websites such as youtube, facebook, Wikipedia, etc.) load terribly slow.

I know people here have already mentioned router models, but I'd also be interested to know who everyone is using as ISP. I am on AT&T U-verse in Houston, TX. Netgear R6300, and issues have occurred on multiple Windows Phone 8 devices (even some of my friends who have come over).

Would really like to know if anyone has been able to resolve this.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Lumia 925 and iPod 4th Gen.
In the wifi settings on the phone I have 4-5 bars when I'm standing next to the router, in my room 0-1. Connects without problems but the speed is like it's not even connected to the router.
I suspect an issue with the router/settings but it's funny/strange that so many people with different routers, devices and ISPs have the same issue.

Thankful for any advice!

andrisd2r

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
had crappy router (or settings)
*wifi was very slow, couldn't use any app that use skydrive integration
*9 out of 10 times search in marketplace found nothing
*couldn't sent app review
*internet explorer stopped at 99% loading page
only lumia 900 and 520 had these problems
no problems on 3g

bought new router, no roblems
i suggest changing beacon interval, security type in router

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
had crappy router (or settings)
*wifi was very slow, couldn't use any app that use skydrive integration
*9 out of 10 times search in marketplace found nothing
*couldn't sent app review
*internet explorer stopped at 99% loading page
only lumia 900 and 520 had these problems
no problems on 3g

bought new router, no roblems
i suggest changing beacon interval, security type in router
What do you mean by beacon type?
Are you using WPA2 or WEP? Also, TKIP or AES? :)

I'm asking because I've tried multiple times to find a combination of security type/encryption but I have the same problems no matter what.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12