I couldn't buy it....Wait I bought it!

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I walked into at&t money in hand and asked for a black 1020. While I was waiting for the saleswoman to bring it out I got cold feet. I noticed the demo models had scratched on the camera bezel and screen. It scared the hell out of me and I walked out. Kind of sad cause I was ready to switch from my 925 to the 1020.

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: I couldn't do it.

I walked into at&t money in hand and asked for a black 1020. While I was waiting for the saleswoman to bring it out I got cold feet. I noticed the demo models had scratched on the camera bezel and screen. It scared the hell out of me and I walked out. Kind of sad cause I was ready to switch from my 925 to the 1020.

I think you hit the nail on the head, they were "demo" units. People in general will not be as careful with a store unit as you would with your personal phone. "IF" the phone is that prone to scratching with tender care, I don't think Nokia would have released it. I think it will be just fine. Don't be a quitter, go get that phone!

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Ya I know! It was only on display for a day though. I know its just as strong as any other phone. I also though the screen bezel was really big. Just like the 920. I think I will order it in white.

I was buying it outright so its not really that much a difference. The yellow is pretty cool if you like attention.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Well if you already own Lumia 925 and you are not feeling totally happy about Lumia 1020, maybe you should wait till the next wave of flagships before the end of this year? That's what I'm doing as a Lumia 920 owner. For me the choice will be easier as Lumia 1020 will be probably out here in Nordics somewhere next month, if not later.

Have to admit that if a shop near me had one, I would be mighty tempted to get one right now.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I couldn't buy it

maybe they're scratched to have that exact effect! (*conspiracy keanu)

Well nothing wrong with holding back on the purchase - something like the 1020 isn't as much of an impulse buy as the 520's per se

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

I went back and bought it at a different store. It was funny cause I asked if they had the nokia 1020 in stock and every worker, all 10 of them pulled one out of their pockets. I bought a black one. Kind of upset they didn't have any nokia cases.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Well if you already own Lumia 925 and you are not feeling totally happy about Lumia 1020, maybe you should wait till the next wave of flagships before the end of this year? That's what I'm doing as a Lumia 920 owner. For me the choice will be easier as Lumia 1020 will be probably out here in Nordics somewhere next month, if not later.

Have to admit that if a shop near me had one, I would be mighty tempted to get one right now.

The 925 is nice but I wasn't getting lte on it so 1020 was preferable.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I went back and bought it at a different store. It was funny cause I asked if they had the nokia 1020 in stock and every worker, all 10 of them pulled one out of their pockets. I bought a black one. Kind of upset they didn't have any nokia cases.

If you're worried about scratches, it's too bad you didn't buy it from a Microsoft Store. They offer a two yr warranty for $99, upfront no monthly fees. They'll replace the phone for free if there's a MFR problem/defect or if you caused the problem there's a $49 deductible - not bad for a $700 phone ;) you can get it replaced once every 12 months. I wasn't going to get it but then I thought about how cheap that was...plus I've got two kids lol

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Just for people's fyi the speaker is really tingy.

The Camera is amazing and kind of complex. I would wait to listen to reviews until people actually figure out how to take good pics.

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

If you're worried about scratches, it's too bad you didn't buy it from a Microsoft Store. They offer a two yr warranty for $99, upfront no monthly fees. They'll replace the phone for free if there's a MFR problem/defect or if you caused the problem there's a $49 deductible - not bad for a $700 phone ;) you can get it replaced once every 12 months. I wasn't going to get it but then I thought about how cheap that was...plus I've got two kids lol

I didn't know that! My grandpa wants it, but I don't want him to get AT&T's crap insurance. They wanted to charge my mom $125 for just a shattered screen...

Now he can get the free camera grip and this!

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, definitely go through the MS store. I even got a $50 gift certificate from them, along with the camera grip, the phone, and the better protection plan. DEFINITELY worth hitting up MS.

geekaren

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

I bought my 1020 at AT&T (came to $701 w/tax) yesterday and visited a local Microsoft store today. The Microsoft Store offered me the $99 insurance -- they just took a quick look at the phone 1st and recorded the IMEI. I was thrilled. If you bought elsewhere and you're interested in the $99 Microsoft coverage, it can't hurt to ask.

SKFlynn

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I too bought the 1020 (out right, no contract) and would have loved to get the $50 gift card and free camera grip from MS.. however you only get those IF you sign up for a 2 year contract. As I am off contract (using the 2GB, unlimited text, voice $60 GoPhone plan) instead of signing up for 2 years, MS wouldnt'/couldn't offer those.. walked down to the AT&T store saved $40 on the phone AND got a camera grip for free (yellow 1020, black grip)

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I too bought the 1020 (out right, no contract) and would have loved to get the $50 gift card and free camera grip from MS.. however you only get those IF you sign up for a 2 year contract. As I am off contract (using the 2GB, unlimited text, voice $60 GoPhone plan) instead of signing up for 2 years, MS wouldnt'/couldn't offer those.. walked down to the AT&T store saved $40 on the phone AND got a camera grip for free (yellow 1020, black grip)

I didn't sign a new contract. I bought mine outright. Still got all the stuff. The guys even double-checked for me to make sure, and the promotion just says "with the purchase of a new phone".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte